PDA

View Full Version : FrechexIII mount and feeding

Motard
01-23-2016, 09:49 AM
Ordered a 30 cal Freechex from Charles Darnall and had a great service from him. Now while wainting for the item to cross the oacean I would like to prepare a base mount for the one ton harbour press clone (or I may say a chinese clone of the fright clone of a Us press) I bought 158835 meanwhile. So I would ask If anyone have a 30 cal if it possible to gave me the external diameter of the Freechex so to prepare an adequate fitment. I would also ask if is good or not using cocke or bier or others cans for gaschecks. From what I have read it seems Charlie is'nt keen on scrap material. Buth then I have found an old tutorial, on Freechex II, wich stated that cans are coated inside and out and this minimize alu-oxide action, wich is second only to diamant as abrasive power. So in case what other material I have to look at assuming cooper layers are difficoult to find and to cut?

Maven
01-23-2016, 11:09 AM
Yonky sells aluminum strips which work very well with Charlie's Freechex III. You may want to send him a PM re availability and pricing.

Pee Wee
01-23-2016, 01:58 PM
Yonky sells aluminum strips which work very well with Charlie's Freechex III. You may want to send him a PM re availability and pricing.
And he is in England, might be close to you.

Motard
01-25-2016, 05:11 AM
yes thankiou, just mailed him and whating for quotes. now looking to secure fit the freechex to the harbour press

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-27-2016, 01:22 PM
snip...
So I would ask If anyone have a 30 cal if it possible to gave me the external diameter of the Freechex so to prepare an adequate fitment.
You better contact Charlie about that as I think he has made them different sizes over the years. Someone with an older one, might be a different size than what he is making today. At least that was my experience...which is a long story, I won't go into that now.
Jon

Sagebrush7
01-27-2016, 02:30 PM
JonB, Charlie has picked three standard base sizes for the FCIII. That being said the stock material varies and you can end up with different sizes. Having 14 presses I just wrap this aluminum around the base of the die. You can bend a small ear on each end and it will stay in place. Sometimes you only need a 1/4 circle to tighten up the die.

You better contact Charlie about that as I think he has made them different sizes over the years. Someone with an older one, might be a different size than what he is making today. At least that was my experience...which is a long story, I won't go into that now.
Jon