PDA

View Full Version : Curling

LaPoint
01-22-2016, 10:09 PM
Our local curling club is hosting the Jr Nationals this week. I've been working on the ice crew and my wife has been working as a timer and an end ice official. We've been into curling for about 6-7 years. It is a way for us to get out of the house during the cold dark Minnesota winters. I'm just wondering how many curlers we have here? Not too many I would guess.

rancher1913
01-22-2016, 10:27 PM
not a curler but I at least know what your talking about. that broom person always cracks me up and it does take a certain amount of skill to be good at curling.

Cariboo
01-22-2016, 10:34 PM
curling rink is about 10 miles away though I don't curl myself some of my friends do

JWT
01-22-2016, 11:20 PM
I've gone a couple of times as a block party event. There is a pretty nice club in Ferndale. I curl about as well as I bowl.

Hardcast416taylor
01-23-2016, 01:26 PM
My version of curling is watching drivers on an icy road!Robert

popper
01-23-2016, 01:33 PM
No curling here but one of the local ice rinks had broom hockey for kids before they closed it.

gwpercle
01-23-2016, 03:18 PM
Here in Baton Rouge , Louisiana we have no clubs. It hasn't caught on here yet.
We pass a cold winter night eating gumbo, drinking a beer or two and playing dominos or a little Cajun card game called Bourre'
(pronounced boo-ray)
You come to Louisiana , teach me curling and I will teach you bourre' and gumbo making !
Gary

farmerjim
01-23-2016, 04:01 PM
You can loose $100 in nickle ante Bourre' and your house in $1 ante. Don't ask how I know.

LaPoint
01-23-2016, 05:14 PM
Curling has been a northern sport, to say the least. It is growing in popularity due to the coverage from the Olympics. Its quirky enough to catch most peoples attention when they see it. Our local club just finished hosting the Jr. Nationals event. There were 10 teams of young men and 10 teams of young women competing to go on to the World Curling event in Turkey.

Curling is a combination of shuffleboard, chess and bowling. It's a game that can be played by people of all ages & abilities or disabilities. It's almost as much fun & as interesting as casting & loading boolits!

ericp
01-25-2016, 07:16 AM
I was in a curling league up in Calumet for a couple of years before I moved out of town. Most everybody involved was terrible at it but we had a good time and it was a nice thing to do during those long winter nights.

Eric