PDA

View Full Version : Snow!

Blammer
01-22-2016, 10:31 AM
Well the first snow of the winter of 2015-16 landed us 9" today in Asheville, NC.

YEA! I guess it's to make up for the 70° Christmas week we had.

Time to go play in the snow!

GRUMPA
01-22-2016, 10:40 AM
You can have the snow, where we are if it snows you wait it out till it melts. The county highway here doesn't even get bladed, so you either take your chances or wait..

Here's what the back looked like, this is from a while ago but you get the point.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/album.php?albumid=558&attachmentid=54140

bullet maker 57
01-22-2016, 10:50 AM
I was in Greenville SC the day after Christmas and it was 74 degrees. I am back in NY now waiting for the storm. I say let it snow. Pantry stocked, generator on auto. Firewood ready. We will be quite comfortable.

Hickok
01-22-2016, 10:51 AM
Blammer that is a lot of snow for you all!

Up here in WV as of 9:50 AM, we haven't got hit from this one yet, but it is supposed to start coming down about noon.

We are supposed to get 5-8" today, 12+ tonight and 8-12" tomorrow.

brassrat
01-22-2016, 11:45 AM
Thirty + yrs ago I was all over those hills, Hickok. If any family/ baby, store pics are still hanging up, I might have took em. Loved that state. I find out later, my granny, came from, somewhere, there, before moving north to hell-land ct. Good luck in snow

Ole Joe Clarke
01-22-2016, 12:21 PM
No snow for me, I hope we don't get a flake. It's beautiful, especially if it is somewhere far, far away.

Silvercreek Farmer
01-22-2016, 12:48 PM
About 5" on the ground for us down here and more on the way. Best snow we have had in a couple years. Turning a little sleety but not supposed to get any freezing rain. Got plenty of fresh pork, beer in the fridge, and dry wood on the porch!

Blammer
01-22-2016, 02:25 PM
well it's still coming down heavy, add another 2-3" since 9am this am, it's 1:30pm now

Chihuahua Floyd
01-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Blammer,
Bryson city, about an hour west of A'ville, and only getting rain off and on so far today. 35 degrees, yesterdays snow is going away fast. nothing but wet slush on the ground here now.
CF

jsizemore
01-22-2016, 03:22 PM
I'm just east of Raleigh. Started sleeting around 6am. Changed to rain about 1pm and has started freezing half way down the storm window. Winds a little gusty, hopefully it won't pick up too much or rain any heavier.

Hickok
01-22-2016, 05:35 PM
Thirty + yrs ago I was all over those hills, Hickok. If any family/ baby, store pics are still hanging up, I might have took em. Loved that state. I find out later, my granny, came from, somewhere, there, before moving north to hell-land ct. Good luck in snowBrassrat, you are always welcome to come back!

This blizzard wont be too bad for the area I live in, as the folks here are used to it, and we have seen it before, just goes with high elevation. Our road departments are geared and equipped for it, and 4 wheel drive vehicles are the norm here. It has been snowing steady since about 11:00AM.

I hope you all down in Virginia, the Carolina's, Tennessee, parts of MD and Kentucky fare well. Stay home if you can and be safe!

USMC87
01-22-2016, 06:25 PM
We have been hit twice today, the first was about 10 inches and now it's pouring down again. I will be scraping snow for a while with the four wheeler.

labradigger1
01-22-2016, 06:29 PM
We have been hit twice today, the first was about 10 inches and now it's pouring down again. I will be scraping snow for a while with the four wheeler.

We are still on our first volley here in tucker co. About 10" heavy wet snow. I just got off the tractor from plowing.

dragon813gt
01-22-2016, 06:36 PM
Looks like it's going to start here in about 90 minutes. It is what it is. Not looking forward to shoveling. Moving south looks more appealing every year.

bedbugbilly
01-22-2016, 07:16 PM
Blammer - you guys really got hit and it looks like it is going to happen over quite a wide area in the east . . . I guess I probably shouldn't tell you that right now it's sunny and 76 here in Sahuarita, AZ . . . and I'm glad to be here and not in MI!

My wife and I have been to Asheville a couple of times . . . went through the Biltmore Estate and really enjoyed that. One of the guys that used to work for the phone company in MI where we live was brought up in Asheville . . . he said he lived near the entrance in to the estate and used to milk the cows there when he was a kid.

Hickok - don't know where you are in WV - I took an old time fiddle workshop at the Augusta Heritage Center at Elkins-Davis College a number of years ago - got to know Melvin Wine - he was in his 90's at the time - the only WV fiddler written up in the WV history books - a very amazing man and he was kind enough to spend some time with me on evening helping me out with some problems I was having with my fiddle playing. Anyway . . . beautiful country - the locals would come in at night and we'd "jam" into the wee hours of the morning. Good folks, very welcoming and I sure enjoyed talking with them all. And we all learned a number of tunes that were unique to the area which was great!

I sure hope you all weather the snow storm and bad weather where ever you are . . . no fun for sure. Stay warm and stay safe! If I could send you all some sunshine and warmth I certainly would!

Blammer
01-22-2016, 07:58 PM
wound up with about foot of snow, it stopped as of now, most places are closed.

I was at the grocery to get some odd things for dinner, you know, vegetables. :)

I should have taken a picture of the bread isle, it was completely bare. Not one loaf of bread in the whole store. All the hot chocolate was gone too.

LOTS of soup left, even at discount prices. That's what I'd get if I were stocking up.

DougGuy
01-22-2016, 08:03 PM
Blammer we are east of you in Wake Forest, we got about 2" of snice and supposed to get more snow tonite and tomorrow. Don't send us any leftovers! Keep it all there okay??

Beans & Cornbread for supper, this is how WE do snow!! Oh yeah baybie!!

Edit: Recipes posted in Cookin' Recipe's forum..

Love Life
01-22-2016, 08:09 PM
Just rain and cold weather in Lejeune. PT'd in it today for over an hour, lol.

This reminds me of a funny story about snow in Lejeune, lol.

375supermag
01-22-2016, 08:20 PM
Hi...

Started snowing here about 6:10PM.

They are predicting as much as 2ft plus with wind gusts up to 40mph.

We are stocked up and as prepared as possible. Plenty of food, drinks, gas, kerosene, etc. Snowblower is tested and ready, kerosene heater is fueled and tested...gas grill is fueled and ready to use if the need arises(last resort).

I hope electric service isn't disrupted. No generator...we'll get by if the power goes out. Just won't be quite as much fun...or maybe none at all. We are too dependent on electricity.

Love Life
01-22-2016, 08:22 PM
I'm in the barracks. If I get hungry I reckon I'll have to eat somebody, lol.

Cariboo
01-22-2016, 09:15 PM
Been above freezing for the last 3 days here, with light rain most of the day. Still about 8" of snow in the yard. That said I don't miss those eastern snow storms.

RED333
01-22-2016, 09:33 PM
Well it looks like we got bout 8 of so inches here in middle TN today.
Nashville Davidson county had close to 150 wrecks in less that 4 hours.
I did drive in, the roads were Ok, in less 1 hour Big Boss in Knoxville closed the office. I40 East to Mt Juliet was a big mess, took me an hour to get home.

MrWolf
01-22-2016, 10:34 PM
Started about an hour or so ago. Already covered the cars and driveway. Can still see some lawn. Put firewood on the porch, snowblower in the garage, and moved the cars. Worry about it in the morning.

aspangler
01-22-2016, 10:34 PM
We had about 4" here left from Wed. Started about 3AM sleet and freezing rain. Changed to snow with flakes the size of silver dollars anout 4:30 AM. Got 6 more inches before it stopped. Started second round just after dark and we have another inch or two already. Calling for 5-7 more before it stops. Plenty to eat. Emergency heat source. Solar for lights. Going to stay in and load some more.
BTW this is not far from the Bristol Motor Speedway upper east Tennessee. Four wheel drive if needed for emergency.

CastingFool
01-22-2016, 10:48 PM
call me crazy if you want, but I rather clear snow than mow my lawn. the drive way I can clear out in 1-1/2 hrs with my 9hp snow blower, while it takes me 3-1/2hrs to mow my yard, and I'm using a tractor with a 50" deck. then there is another hour to do the trimming.

dragonrider
01-22-2016, 11:10 PM
Ok your crazy!!! I would definately rather mow than blow. Even though I am well prepared for snow with Kubota tractor with 51 inch TPH snowblower, besides the fresh cut grass smells better.

Idaho Mule
01-22-2016, 11:38 PM
Started snowing here in October. Still is every few days. JW

brassrat
01-23-2016, 12:13 AM
Brassrat, you are always welcome to come back!

This blizzard wont be too bad for the area I live in, as the folks here are used to it, and we have seen it before, just goes with high elevation. Our road departments are geared and equipped for it, and 4 wheel drive vehicles are the norm here. It has been snowing steady since about 11:00AM.

I hope you all down in Virginia, the Carolina's, Tennessee, parts of MD and Kentucky fare well. Stay home if you can and be safe!

Thank you kindly, be careful thou 99/100 Ct. people would show up at your door. so whats a nearby town? I probably been there (more than once)

rondog
01-23-2016, 01:07 AM
I live in Denver, y'all can certainly have MY share of that nasty stuff!

too many things
01-23-2016, 01:20 AM
I am on the west side of wv. it has stopped for now. about 8 to 10 but have had the fine light stuff with a 15mph wind so some places are bare and some with 3ft. Charleston is 45 miles and all 3 interstates are closed. areas around are on level 3 soe . as of this post wv hasn't yet gone to 3 but bet it will by morning
I live in the country 7 mi from highway and snow plow has been by 3 times road is clear with about 1/2in on it , nice to have the truck drivers for neighbors

Love Life
01-23-2016, 01:37 AM
I am in in Jacksonville, NC. I have easy on snow chains for sale...$700.00 for the set, lol. Supply and demand.

Hickok
01-23-2016, 07:38 AM
Bedbugbilly , Labradigger and I are close to Elkins. About 36 miles away from me and Labradigger is about half that. Elkins is a nice town, just the right size.

I love Bluegrass and the old traditional songs, and the old hymns. Good Scotch-Irish and mountain folk tunes.

lightman
01-23-2016, 09:24 AM
Well, the 5 or 6 inches that we got over Thursday night and Friday morning was about it. Had a lot of widespread power outages but most were restored during the day and the rest should be back on later today. We did not loose power and the streets cleared off after lunch, but probably refroze again last night. Temperature has been in the mid 20's to low 30's with 10 to 20 mph wind. Thats pretty cold for around here.

I gotta say, it felt good to not have to had to work 16 hours out in it and to go back out today! Thinking about you guys that are getting hammered, you'll take care!

jonp
01-23-2016, 09:30 AM
North of Raleigh near VA we got about 4in yesterday but it started at 0600 when I got into work as snow then sleet then snow then sleet then freezing rain then sleet...you get the picture. 6hrs outside until the plant decided no-one was coming in and called it off. Snowing a little now and 20degrees or so. Roads are very nasty and will be through Monday I think over this way.

labradigger1
01-23-2016, 09:36 AM
We have about 26-28" here so far. Still have power and we have our own well and spring.
I went out at daylight and started the old 8n to plow and let it warm up, made two passes down the driveway and she died. I've been working on it since and finally ran down the battery and put it on the charger. I figured i got the dist Cap or points wet by pushing the snow so removed all and sprayed w/ wd40. Engine is firing well, getting fuel, no water in the fuel (that was yesterday's problem), getting air. Idk, play with it later this morning.
Sure is pretty and quiet outside.

jonp
01-23-2016, 09:38 AM
Blammer we are east of you in Wake Forest, we got about 2" of snice and supposed to get more snow tonite and tomorrow. Don't send us any leftovers! Keep it all there okay??

Beans & Cornbread for supper, this is how WE do snow!! Oh yeah baybie!!

Edit: Recipes posted in Cookin' Recipe's forum..
Just north of you before I85 we have 5 or 6in on the ground. We had a couple of guys down in Goldsboro yesterday and they said most of the morning it was rain while 100 miles away up here it was snow and freezing stuff. The gradient was very sharp on this storm. I had a 1530 delivery down that way and didn't go. First thing in the AM like them maybe but after a whole day of it not a chance I'm putting a semi on the roads down here without plows, salt and sand which they don't really do.

jonp
01-23-2016, 09:44 AM
I am in in Jacksonville, NC. I have easy on snow chains for sale...$700.00 for the set, lol. Supply and demand.

Snow Chains in Jacksonville? I bet they are in good condition!

jonp
01-23-2016, 09:50 AM
wound up with about foot of snow, it stopped as of now, most places are closed.

I was at the grocery to get some odd things for dinner, you know, vegetables. :)

I should have taken a picture of the bread isle, it was completely bare. Not one loaf of bread in the whole store. All the hot chocolate was gone too.

LOTS of soup left, even at discount prices. That's what I'd get if I were stocking up.

Bread aisle at the Food Lion looked just like this milk cooler. Lady standing there told me not to worry, she thought they were bringing more out. I told her I wasn't worried cause I bought some a couple of days ago when they first predicted the storm. I was just laughing at the people that waited till the last minute. People in NC are so strange.

xs11jack
01-23-2016, 01:03 PM
jonp, you should amend that to "People are so strange." Strange and stupid are universal.
Ole Jack
Praying for all you guys and girls that everyone gets thru this without harm.

dragon813gt
01-23-2016, 01:20 PM
That's it, I'm moving to a place where the municipality doesn't own any snow plows. Three hours to clear my place and I will have to back out later. Have at least 18". And some of the drifts are pushing 5'. Wouldn't be so bad but both my neighbors suck and don't clear their place properly. So if I don't cut everything back the the curb parking is a nightmare. I really hate my neighbors right now.

mold maker
01-23-2016, 02:01 PM
Just 4 inches of inconvenience here. Mostly sleet on a couple inches of fluff.
I wound up with a bug and didn't even feel like watching the grand kids play. If I feel like it I'll shovel the walk so Grammys babies can safely get in Monday morning.
Really feel for those who have to suffer through with power etc.

Outpost75
01-23-2016, 02:11 PM
About 30 inches here as of 11 am and still coming down. There is a Jeep Liberty buried under the pile in that center picture. Right picture is our road before plowing. They are plowing it now.

warpspeed
01-23-2016, 02:16 PM
I was in Greenville SC the day after Christmas and it was 74 degrees. I am back in NY now waiting for the storm. I say let it snow. Pantry stocked, generator on auto. Firewood ready. We will be quite comfortable.

For someone who has lived their entire life in Los Angeles, that sounds like a pretty nice weekend.

Blammer
01-23-2016, 02:41 PM
Got another 4" of snow last night, total in the yard now is 16" deep.
High of 20° today, wind at 20mph, blue sky day, tonight down to 13° if I remember right.

varmintpopper
01-23-2016, 03:23 PM
What is SNOW ?,,,,, Central California

Blammer
01-23-2016, 03:58 PM
it's the white stuff that you don't send up your nose.

Outpost75
01-23-2016, 04:10 PM
Snow quit here at 2 pm and 39 inches.

Hogtamer
01-23-2016, 04:23 PM
2 bales of cotton per acre looks kina like snow!

jsizemore
01-23-2016, 06:14 PM
It appears Armageddon is over. We've got about 1/4" of ice wrapped around everything. Never got snow. No power loss but no phone/computer till 4pm today. I never left the house other then to look at some small limbs loaded with ice scraping on the houses metal roof. The horses were having a great time in the pasture. Even the ones with arthritis were running around like youngn's.

dragon813gt
01-23-2016, 07:06 PM
At least 24" down and still snowing. Hard to get a real measurement due to the drifts. The one against my garage door is 7' tall. Not supposed to stop until after midnight. I'm waiting until the morning to dig out the rest of the way.

MrWolf
01-23-2016, 09:22 PM
No good deed goes unpunished. Son and I finally get our driveway done, saw neighbor trying to shovel while her kids were inside and husband not home. Her kid is bigger than me and I am 6' 200lbs. Three quarters of the way done and hit a branch about 1 1/2" thick. Snowblower stops and appears a linkage (hopefully) was smoking. Have to take it apart tomorrow.

imashooter2
01-23-2016, 09:39 PM
At least 24" down and still snowing. Hard to get a real measurement due to the drifts. The one against my garage door is 7' tall. Not supposed to stop until after midnight. I'm waiting until the morning to dig out the rest of the way.

I have over 36 inches drifted into a 75 foot shared driveway between the houses. Got 1 pass with the blower when the gear box blew up and the auger stopped. I'm thoroughly screwed. No place to put snow beside the drive, I have to carry it out the end and throw it on the lawn. If no one hears from me after tomorrow, it's because my heart burst like a water balloon. :sad:

Hickok
01-24-2016, 10:48 AM
Imashooter, I had that happen two years ago with my blower. A metal water cover (to turn off the main) was covered by a couple of feet of snow, and I tryed to move it with the auger... "how did that turn out?" ....."Not too good!":oops:

Busted the brass-ring gear in the gear box, but you know what, never broke a single shear pin on the auger!!!:groner:

Was about $35 to get a new ring-gear, but I saved about $2, because I didn't have to buy any shear pins![smilie=w:

What I am trying to say is "I feel your pain!":-)

imashooter2
01-24-2016, 11:24 AM
Posted on the town's web site and there are some local kids doing it now. Going to cost me a pretty penny, but I'll pay with a smile!

Pretty sure it's the brass gear in mine too. The input shaft turns, and if you kick start it, the auger will turn, but as soon as it sees load it stops. With some luck I can fix it before the next snow.

Hickok
01-24-2016, 01:47 PM

The ugly one is me, the pretty one is my wife Karen, and the little one is my buddy, Curly!

I asked her why she closed her eyes, "The sun was blinding me!"

375supermag
01-24-2016, 01:57 PM
Hi...

Don't know how much snow we got...drifting all over the place. some spots 20"...some spots 4 ft+.

Took a couple hours to clear it all away and clean off the vehicles.

I love my snowblower!!!

Took the 8-month -old Lab puppies out to play in the snow for a while. Happy dogs!!!

All tired out and taking a nap (puppies). Me...maybe later.

dragon813gt
01-24-2016, 02:06 PM
Started digging out at 7am. Six hours later and I'm done. Spent two hours just clearing off the carport roof. Snow blew off the main garage roof and built up to over 4' on the carport. It appears that we were in a band that dumped 30".

Main roads are clear but the town I live in is only a lane and half at best. They have all six front end loaders out clearing the side streets. They usually wait for the residents to build piles and then clear them when everyone is at work. They are going door to door and telling people to move their vehicles immediately. You won't hear me complaining about this.

Needless to say this effectively kills any outdoor activity in the woods for a long time. My dog is not going to he a happy camper :laugh:

funnyjim014
01-24-2016, 02:59 PM
Up here outside buffalo, we got.....nothing... was looking forward to riding my snowmobile this year but the extended forcast dont look good. Big difference from last year when we got 8ft in 2days in November

MrWolf
01-24-2016, 05:29 PM
My shear pins didn't break but lucked out and both auger belts broke. They were old and needed replacing. Found a video on youtube that did not require me to seperate to get to pulley and replaced both in about 15 mins.

opos
01-24-2016, 07:21 PM
Grew up in Colorado (part of the time in the mountains) and we also farmed in Nebraska...I recall those cold snowy mornings feeding cattle and stepping through the frozen slop in the feedlot and having that lovely icy sludge go over the tops of my galoshes..man that was an experience..

Live in San Diego...no snow..but we did have torrential rains for a week or so a while ago and we got lots of mud slides from the barren hills where the huge fires burned off the open areas.

It's almost humorous to see about .010 of light rain and watch the folks lose it on the freeways....sig alerts, spinning cars, crashes and jumped center lines....folks here could not survive in the real weather for more than about 5 minutes...

Good luck with the snow..it's nice to look at but I'll take bikini clad lovelies.

Love Life
01-24-2016, 07:32 PM
No snow here. I have a half gallon of milk for sale for $500.00, lol.

JSnover
01-24-2016, 07:59 PM
Ended up with about 2 and a half feet here. Shoveled a short path from the front door to the driveway and a longer path down the drive so I could get in the truck, plus cleared the berm from the plows. 4-wheel Low, good to go...

MT Gianni
01-24-2016, 08:43 PM
It sounds like much of the Eastern Seaboard got hit with w typical Montana winter storm. Did you make it through alive?

dragon813gt
01-24-2016, 08:46 PM
It wasn't a big deal. Just a big inconvenience. It set the record for most snow in a 24 hour period. No snow blowers to be found anywhere. Love Life could probably sell one for $5k :laugh:

imashooter2
01-24-2016, 08:55 PM
It would have been ho hum if my blower didn't grenade. I would have been in a bit of a pickle but for the local kids love of cash. :D

xs11jack
01-24-2016, 09:20 PM
It's good to hear you all got thru without any serious health issues, heart, back, ankles, shoulders, froze to death, etc. Wife and I been praying now and then. God's blessings on all.
Ole Jack

Hickok
01-25-2016, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the prayers Jack! Just hope some of the folks don't get any flooding as I have seen on the news in the coastal towns.

Opos, them gals ain't wearing enough clothes to swab out a shotgun barrel!!!:lol:

Love Life
01-25-2016, 01:50 PM
It would have been ho hum if my blower didn't grenade. I would have been in a bit of a pickle but for the local kids love of cash. :D

Me and a group of friends raked in some serious dough shoveling snow in Minnesota. We actually ended up turning down work so we had time to chase girls and party, lol. Ahh, the joys of high school.

starmac
01-25-2016, 03:14 PM
You guys broken snowblowers reminds me of one of my first trips on the haul road in 06. During a blow a full grown alaska west freightliner ran right up in the auger on on of our huge snowblowers, we heard about it all up and down the haul road. As far as I know the blower survived, but it eat the frontend right off the freightliner. I didn't get to see the accident, but looked the truck over later, when it was loaded up. I could only imagine what was going through both drivers minds at the time. lol