PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storm

petroid
01-21-2016, 09:56 PM
Got some snow coming. Everyone is buying milk and bread. It motivated me to finish up my snow plow project that I started after last winter.
I had built a front hitch in my old truck for it but haven't got one in this truck yet

leeggen
01-21-2016, 10:09 PM
Looks like you will get to use it about Saturday morning.Your going to get more than I will but hey I don't have to go out in it if I don't want to.
CD

bangerjim
01-22-2016, 12:04 AM
We are preparing for a very rough weekend of severe sunshine storms and lower 70F temps here in Phoenix!

banger

Coogs
01-22-2016, 12:10 AM
God bless you guys down south, suppose to be bad for ya. But please keep it down there, Coogs.

Don Purcell
01-22-2016, 12:31 AM
Just read that D.C. is shutting down at noon. Hopefully they will STAY shut down.

kentuckyshooter
01-22-2016, 12:35 AM
I say the local walmart is sold out by now. I dont know why but when it is going to snow everyone starts craveing milk sandwitches. Im dreading the snow my self.

starreloader
01-22-2016, 01:02 AM
Just waiting for it to come, suppose to be blizzard conditions... Maybe up to a couple of feet of snow.. I'll just stay inside and do some cast and loading for early spring.. Reminds me of when use to I live out near Buffalo, NY.. People around here go crazy when a little snow happens, couple of inches, hit the ground and then Delaware comes to a total stop..

starmac
01-22-2016, 02:01 AM
You guys take care. We are suppose to get down to -20 tonight, but back up to 26 on monday.
I haven't been to the stores, but the shelves are reportedly bare, because a barge has broke down, Some trucks headed south on an emergency run to meet and pick up loads of groceries on the cassier. lol

FISH4BUGS
01-22-2016, 07:53 AM
I have to laugh out loud when I hear of all these panic stricken people that freak out when it snows. People don't have more than a day or two worth of food in their houses. The lesson you should take away from this is BE PREPARED.
Here in New Hampshire I would like to think we are prepared. Any reasonably bright person living in the country has a wood stove with plenty of dry covered wood, a generator and at least 50 gallons of backup gasoline, and a freezer full of food.
That is simply being prepared for any weather. We could easily go for a month or so if everything shut down. We might run out of coffee, and that would not be a pretty sight.
The ice storm of 2009 had electricity out for 11 days. End of the world? No. Inconvenient? You bet....but we survived. You discover what needs to be done to make it better and easier for the next time it happens.
12" snowstorms are typical here. It really isn't even a bother unless it is a foot more. Some winters we get one of those a week for a month or two.
Come on folks, suck it up. It's only snow.

petroid
01-22-2016, 08:05 AM
FISH4BUGS, the threat of snow will close school here. Last year they predicted rain with the chance of sleet and they called it off. Now if it's going to rain my 9 year old thinks they will have a "rain day" lol

Coogs
01-22-2016, 08:22 AM
When I was a kid, the only way school got called off is if the buses got stuck and couldn't get there. Coogs.

Blackwater
01-22-2016, 08:45 AM
I'm with Fish4bugs on this issue. Why is it, after millenea of knowing we need to be prepared for bad weather, we now moan and groan because it finally hits us? Have we lost all sense of necessity to be prepared for these eventualities? If so, then why? And what do we need to do to correct ourselves?

These are questions that once spurred people to action, but now only seems to offend those who don't want to hear it! Where they got the idea they should never hear something that doesn't please them, I don't know, because the world has NEVER been like this, and never promises to come even close to it.

Here in the south, we rarely get snow, and when we do, wrecks line the highway when it turns to ice. Once when we had a "big snow" for here, I had scheduled a visit to a friend's 3 hrs. away. My wife thought I was crazy when I took off anyway in the snow. I made it without incident or problems, simply by being very cautious and looking ahead and preparing myself and slowing down very far ahead of the problems that could be anticipated, topped hills slowly until I could see what lay ahead, etc. What have we come to expect from this world? Peaches and cream? And when we don't get it, what's our technique for dealing with that?

The weather is always a subject of interest because it affects us in so many ways, and our jobs, etc., but to be unable to handle it is .... well, let's just call it "not smart." We have SO much more ability than we seem to want to use. I guess having been taught early on by an old Marine Dad to "adapt and overcome" makes me seem a little "wierd" to some of the more socialized among us, but .... gee golly wow! How did we get THIS sensitized to the dang weather????

In Scotland, they say that the weather's not the problem, you just wore the wrong coat for it. There's a great spirit in that view, I think. We could learn a lot from that kind of thinking, rather than letting ourselves absorb the attitudes and sentiments of the liberal media. That's my view, at least. YMMV, and often does.

castalott
01-22-2016, 08:48 AM
When I was a kid, the only way school got called off is if the buses got stuck and couldn't get there. Coogs.

My principal lived across the street from the school and if he could make it, you were expected to make it. Very fine man who expected you to 'man up' though.

Windwalker 45acp
01-22-2016, 09:19 AM
we're expecting up to two feet here. Only thing I did was topped off the fuel in all the vehicles, spare gas cans and made sure the genny started.

I like big snow storms... the world stops. It's peaceful for a brief time, and there's nothing more beautiful than the mountains covered in snow.

ericp
01-22-2016, 09:39 AM
Around here it is expected that you may be stuck in your house for a couple of days if there is a really big storm and folks are prepared for it. 2 years ago we got a snow that drifted 6' over the road that runs along my neighbor's hay field, 3 40's long. Took a good sized loader a few hours to clear it, when they got to it.

Eric

lightman
01-22-2016, 10:50 AM
We got 4 or 5 inches last night. Thats a big deal here, as most don't know how or can't deal with it. School is closed, grocery store is over run and over 12,000 are without power. There will be wrecks all over, probably enough to close parts of I-30 and I-40. Me, I'm sitting at home playing on the puter and watching the birds out in the backyard! The generator is on line if I need it, wood stacked on the porch and in the garage and the pantry is well stocked. For the 1st time in 35 years I actually think its purty! In the past it, when I was working, it always meant cold hard work and long hours.

FISH4BUGS
01-22-2016, 11:57 AM
In Scotland, they say that the weather's not the problem, you just wore the wrong coat for it.
....or as we say here in New England, there is no such thing as bad weather....it is just under dressed people.

Col4570
01-22-2016, 01:59 PM
Snow Joke.

GOPHER SLAYER
01-22-2016, 02:12 PM
Still watching. Not a snowflake so far. We have laid in a good supply of Hersey bars with almonds. Actually my wife prefers Three Musketeers. Supposed to be 70% today.

Cariboo
01-22-2016, 02:38 PM
People around here go crazy when a little snow happens, couple of inches, hit the ground and then Delaware comes to a total stop..
I'm glade to hear it has gotten a bit better back there. As I remember an inch was a snow day and heavy equipment could not be run if it was below freezing as it would break.

petroid
01-22-2016, 03:04 PM
Got about 6" from early am til now. A bit more to come and maybe ice. Plow worked great after some tweaks. Got my drive and a few of the neighbors cleared

Smoke4320
01-22-2016, 03:13 PM
When I was in college (in the MTN's of NC) we had a major snowstorm .. I went to a 8AM class.. first day 3 people showed up .. the Teacher rode a horse 9 Miles in the snow (2 days) so he could hold class and count all the slackers absent .. Should have seen their faces next class

Stork
01-22-2016, 04:38 PM
I visited this morning with a cousin who now lives in North Carolina (displaced ND native) & asked him if people are really that helpless. He said yup, you wouldn't believe it although most of the guys he runs with are pretty much like us, blessed with a bit of common sense-independent-redneck & d@mn proud of it. But, get into the bigger cities & they seem to be as helpless as a pig on roller skates.
Said he called mama & had her take a few pheasants out of the freezer, he shot when he was up here last fall, he'll crank up the grill when he gets home. Let er snow.

Stay warm.
Stork

PS: Smoke your post brought back country school memories. Our teacher lived with us, so there was no excuse to not make it. I can recall Dad hitching up the horses to the sleigh a couple times to get us there (pre 4wd days on the farm) but it was only a mile to the school.

dragon813gt
01-22-2016, 05:27 PM
I have to laugh out loud when I hear of all these panic stricken people that freak out when it snows. People don't have more than a day or two worth of food in their houses. The lesson you should take away from this is BE PREPARED.

Same here. I want to punch every news anchor right now. Fanning the flames and hyping people up over a potential 18". It will be cleared by Sunday around noon. If we got 3' it would be clear by Sunday evening. Weekend storms are the easiest to deal w/.

I did go out today and fill the gas jugs up. Not because of the storm. I filled my truck up w/ them and I had $.50 off a gallon. So it was just convenient timing. Also fired the generator up for fifteen minutes. It was due for it's monthly run. Looked around to see if we needed any food. Of course we don't :laugh:

I understand about further south. Ice storms shut everything down. And you can't remove the snow if you don't have the equipment to do it. It's going to be business as usual here.

Just have to hope the idiots stay off the roads tomorrow. My truck was hit a few years ago because of a moron. I have to drive across town to dig my parents out. So I have a reason to be out in it.

Finster101
01-22-2016, 05:52 PM
we're expecting up to two feet here. Only thing I did was topped off the fuel in all the vehicles, spare gas cans and made sure the genny started.

I like big snow storms... the world stops. It's peaceful for a brief time, and there's nothing more beautiful than the mountains covered in snow.

Where abouts in Canetucky are you? I grew up around Russell Springs and Lake Cumberland.

USMC87
01-22-2016, 06:21 PM
We have got around 10 inches this morning and it stopped for a few hours and now it is hammering down again. The 4 wheeler has come in handy with snow removal.

01-22-2016, 06:24 PM
News flash!!! It's winter. It snows in winter. I'm a disgruntled Northern New Yorker transplanted down here to the land of pleasant living. I'm in the eye of the storm -Ha! Whether it's a lot of snow or a little snow, it's not an unknown phenomenon. Deal with it. I love our new governor (He replaced the former lib / dem Martin O'Malley-- who is under investigation by the way for stealing furniture out of the State House. Paid $6K for $60K worth of stuff) Hogan. He said something to the effect of "It's snow. Just be prepared."

tdoyka
01-22-2016, 06:51 PM
News flash!!! It's winter. It snows in winter. I'm a disgruntled Northern New Yorker transplanted down here to the land of pleasant living. I'm in the eye of the storm -Ha! Whether it's a lot of snow or a little snow, it's not an unknown phenomenon. Deal with it. I love our new governor (He replaced the former lib / dem Martin O'Malley-- who is under investigation by the way for stealing furniture out of the State House. Paid $6K for $60K worth of stuff) Hogan. He said something to the effect of "It's snow. Just be prepared."

its snows!!!! in winter!!!!

huh, well i'll be.

:lol::lol::lol:

Coogs
01-22-2016, 07:00 PM
Can't wait! Looks like it'll stay south of me, DC looks to get as much as 30" News report said Some important vote in Congress will be delayed for a month. Hell, we get 30" here and I still gotta go to work. Whats the deal in DC??? Coogs.

Finster101
01-22-2016, 07:27 PM
its snows!!!! in winter!!!!

Not here it don't!

Windwalker 45acp
01-22-2016, 07:57 PM
Where abouts in Canetucky are you? I grew up around Russell Springs and Lake Cumberland.

Eastern part, in the mountains... the rugged part. :)

Lake Cumberland is a beautiful area, fished there a couple times many, many years ago.

jpen
01-22-2016, 08:17 PM
I'm in Garner NC and we have about 1/2 inch of ice right now. Power went off for a little while but back up now. Hope everyone has a safe night as we have lots of limbs coming down and power lines.