PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on 308 cast bullets for 308 win and 300 BLK

ncwg2boatguy
01-21-2016, 01:13 PM
New to cast bullets guys and really sure someone here has the knowledge to point me in the right direction.

Looking to load 308 Win and 300 BLK with cast bullets.
Anyone have tips or recommendations Im truly thankful.
Need schooling on "Gas Check" whether I need them or not?
Read some guys using .309 bullets for 308 Win (.308) ? Is this required to be larger since the leads softer?

thanks for any recommendations you can give.

Jimbo
Grumpy Crusty retired Military Dude....

popper
01-21-2016, 01:27 PM
Depends on what your shooting. I use 31-165C for 308W and 31-142C,145C for BO, both ESPCd. Both feed well from ARs. Bolt guns give more options.

quilbilly
01-21-2016, 02:11 PM
Start slow and get an inexpensive Lee round nose mold with the 309 sizer. If all goes well, then start experimenting with other molds from other makers. Use gas checks and seat the boolits so the gas check just goes to bottom of the neck and in the 308 look for a muzzle velocity of about 1900. Popper is right about bolt guns giving more options. Your lead alloy doesn't have to be so hard with the gas check.

mdi
01-21-2016, 02:32 PM
Slugging the barrel and mebbe doing a "pound cast" of the chamber is a good idea for shooting cast bullets in a rifle. I usually go with .002"+ over barrel groove diameter. If I need more info (for leading or inaccuracy) I do a pound cast. Or one could make a Cerrosafe cast of the chamber to determine the throat diameter...

Doc Highwall
01-21-2016, 09:56 PM
What kind of guns are you going to shoot these out of and for what use, hunting or target shooting.

For a semi auto you will need a more pointed bullet, and for a bolt action or single shot a blunter nose bullet can be used.

I use bolt action rifle that I put a single shot adapter in and use the SAECO #315 bullet a lot so there are no feeding problems.