PDA

View Full Version : walking cane gun and open carry

nekshot
01-21-2016, 11:59 AM
I was wondering how a walking cane (gun mechanism) inside it would be looked upon with in the law of open carry? I think I am getting a limp!!

HarryT
01-21-2016, 12:14 PM
Cane gun is any other weapon, requires a ATF stamp (unless it is an antique made before 1898).

nekshot
01-21-2016, 12:31 PM
Ok, thanks for that info and my leg feels much better now!

country gent
01-21-2016, 12:35 PM
Another thing to consider is a cane gun used for walking not just being carried the muzzle is always in the dirt gravel and crud. They are still made in europe and good ones can be quite expensive. In this country they are any other devices and require tax stamp and back ground check on top ofcost. My grand kids love playing with grand[pas cane too wouldnt be able to let them with those.

country gent
01-21-2016, 12:45 PM
Heres a thought to consider. Make your cane from walnut 3/4X3/4 glued together to form the staff, this gives you 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 to work wit. My canes staff is 3/4" at the tip and tapers up to 1 3/8" at the handle. Octagon countour. Very solid very stout. when I made it I ran it over to rafters and hung my 190 lbs from the center to see. It hardly bowed. The Handle is a 2 1/2" walnut ball with a boss just behind the staffs edge. Very comfortable in the hand offers good support. Now think Irish shillaeghly. Maybe not a firearm but it is a dang effect club if needed. A solid poke in the chest would be capable of craking bones and be very effective a "pop" striaght up under the adversaries chin with the ball would be devestating as would a swing to head or body with the ball handle. Even a simple cane is much more than just a walking insterment. A little wieght added to the ball handle would make it more effective. Alot of now weapons stickers on stores and buildings door but never seen a no cane one. I can even fly with this cane. LOL

quilbilly
01-21-2016, 01:57 PM
I have one. It is a 32 cal. (00 buckshot) blackpowder device that uses a #11 percussion cap. The end is covered with a rubber cap like all canes. Very heavy for walking any distance so I would rather use my CC handgun. It would make one heck of a club however.

Artful
01-21-2016, 01:58 PM
Intricacies of Cane Guns are many and lots of local/state ordinances make it hard to keep from running afoul of the law. Same with Sword Canes. Disguised weapons or weapon cases evidently were the root of all violence so where outlawed or regulated heavily.

- I had an Idea for a suppressed cane gun and while I can make it/or have it made, it was more practical to just carry a handgun.

Geezer in NH
01-21-2016, 02:24 PM
An AOW made by an NFA manufacture is only a $5.00 tax stamp.

To make your own as a non SOT the tax is $200.00

HarryT
01-21-2016, 03:31 PM
http://borispalatnik.com/CaneGun_BCG.htm makes a CO2 powered gun cane that's legal. 600 feet per second .25 caliber steel ball (12 shot repeater) $1500 to the sky's the limit.

Artful
01-21-2016, 04:44 PM
http://borispalatnik.com/CaneGun_BCG.htm makes a CO2 powered gun cane that's legal. 600 feet per second .25 caliber steel ball (12 shot repeater) $1500 to the sky's the limit.

Legal where? Some cities are calling air powered guns dangerous weapons and lumping them in with firearms - know your laws before assuming anything.

HarryT
01-21-2016, 05:36 PM
"know your laws before assuming anything." Know where the OP is before assuming....

kentuckyshooter
01-21-2016, 05:49 PM
Might be off base in my logic but a possibility to get around the laws and still be legaly open carying a ''cane gun'' might be to attatch a hoster for a hand gun to the side of the cane. Technecly the gun isnt built into the cane but the gun is openly caryed on the cane. Just a thought.

Artful
01-21-2016, 09:13 PM
"know your laws before assuming anything." Know where the OP is before assuming....

Wouldn't matter as I'm not a LEO or Lawyer in swmissouri and even they don't off the top of their head won't know every town/city/county law on the subject I'd bet.
State level information
https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/Publications/Brochures/documents/SHP-863.pdf
http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/statutesAna.html

But if your a Qualified lawyer in SW Missouri Harry T, please feel free to offer him legal advice. Instead of caution as I have done.

Thumbcocker
01-21-2016, 09:31 PM
Osage orange, mulberry, or hornbeam soring to mind.

762 shooter
01-22-2016, 08:40 AM
As for the cane (no gun), I'm pretty sure it is still legal to be crippled just about everywhere.

I'll have to check New Jersey and New York laws though.:D

bob208
01-22-2016, 10:50 AM
I have forged some cane handles that looked like war hammers used to pierce armor. then I was taught how to dislocate a arm buy hooking the upper arm with a pull and twist.