wgr
01-20-2016, 08:43 PM
what do you guys use for virus protection

JeffinNZ
01-20-2016, 08:46 PM
AVG professional.

waksupi
01-20-2016, 08:49 PM
Malawarebytes. Free version is good, I have the paid version, nothing has ever got past it.

dragon813gt
01-20-2016, 08:56 PM
I went back to Windows Defender. AVG let in a few viruses last year so I stopped using it. So far so good but we will see.

bangerjim
01-20-2016, 09:06 PM
Norton 360. The Norton software packages have protected all of our company computers for over 18 years! Not a single virus, malware, or anything has ever got thru. And it has found a lot over the years!

Not free, but worth every penny.

They ARE out there.....and are looking for a way into your computer! Beware.....never go on-line without one.

bangerjim

aspangler
01-20-2016, 09:07 PM
Try AVAST. Works for me.

edler7
01-20-2016, 09:14 PM
AVG free for virus protection and malware bytes for malware. Wife "degunks" computers for a living and her clients that run these 2 regularly never have problems.

Used to use Norton, but it is such a resource hog we switched.

Down South
01-20-2016, 09:19 PM
Norton 360 Premier. Been using Norton a long time with no problems.

chevyiron420
01-20-2016, 09:19 PM
I use a Linux operating system and have only what came with it, or not. I have had no problems with viruses since the change over. It took some time to get used to it but I love it. My wife has now made the change and she loves it too. Best part is its free.

bangerjim
01-20-2016, 09:25 PM
If you have a NEW computer with maximum FAST ram, FAST FEB, and big SSHD (like all of ours), you will never see any slowdown with Norton. You cannot run it on WIN98 on a 10 year old PC with any speed!!!! I cannot understand why so many on here trash Norton. Just buy a good fast new computer and have done with it. And enjoy life in the uber-fast lane! Good fast computers are dirt cheap these days.

banger

BrassMagnet
01-20-2016, 09:47 PM
If you have a NEW computer with maximum FAST ram, FAST FEB, and big SSHD (like all of ours), you will never see any slowdown with Norton. You cannot run it on WIN98 on a 10 year old PC with any speed!!!! I cannot understand why so many on here trash Norton. Just buy a good fast new computer and have done with it. And enjoy life in the uber-fast lane! Good fast computers are dirt cheap these days.

banger

Good, fast computers are soon slow and incapable of fast operation with many of the antivirus programs because they are always being changed to hog all of the available resources.
Once you pay for it, it rapidly becomes obsolete and that includes when you pay cash!

JWFilips
01-20-2016, 09:48 PM
Macintosh ...nothing

MrWolf
01-20-2016, 09:56 PM
Kapersky for the few we have. Mostly use Ipads so not an issue.

MaryB
01-21-2016, 12:45 AM
Avast, Spybot, Comodo firewall...

bangerjim
01-21-2016, 01:11 AM
Good, fast computers are soon slow and incapable of fast operation with many of the antivirus programs because they are always being changed to hog all of the available resources.
Once you pay for it, it rapidly becomes obsolete and that includes when you pay cash!

I disagree, my friend.

I have computers in my personal company with the latest & greatest processors, max high speed RAM, large SSHD's and they cold boot into WIN7PRO or WIN10 in 15-25 seconds. And BIG programs like the Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCAD, Photoshop, etc, are there within 4-5 seconds, faster once they have ran and are in memory!

Norton does NOT take any speed away from a fast computer. It does from an old clunker running WIN95/98 on a 10-15 year old mother board and 1G ram with a slow meat-grinder spinning HD.

banger

Mal Paso
01-21-2016, 10:16 AM
Norton/Symantec Enterprise Software is good. It's the consumer versions that have been at the bottom of the reviews.

I have used ESET, Kaspersky and AVG with success. Just bought a single Kaspersky license on Amazon for $14. They wanted $37 to renew so I shopped for a new program, wound up with the same one for $14.

popper
01-21-2016, 10:26 AM
Bitdefender. Symantic used to be good but they sold to Norton/macafee. I've used most everything over the years, they change year to year. None are industrial strength. Who know what back doors they put in for NSA.

walltube
01-21-2016, 12:09 PM
Avast for my somewhat new Dell lap-top. I am pleased with both performance and tech personnel. Avast is located in the Czech Republic; Avast techies speak English. Clear, easily understood English with a sense of humor. A necessary attribute to communicate with early mid-20th Century hearing impaired, crabbish American curmudgeons such as I.

Dearly Beloved's new desk-top iMac with the huge monitor has factory installed Avast. Imagine our surprise at that. She is happy. If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

The winds of November cometh,
Wt.

DougGuy
01-21-2016, 12:38 PM
Eset Nod32 antivirus. It runs with a rather small footprint, doesn't take over EVERYTHING like Norton does, it's quite affordable, VERY good at finding and removing installed malware, it will notify you if you browse to an infected or suspected web page, it has GREAT support (FREE and based in the US!) and they stay on top of it. 32 and 64 bit versions. Been using this for years and years.

http://www.eset.com/us/

Rockzilla
01-21-2016, 02:30 PM
Eset Nod32/64 here for years have tried others, but went back to Eset, also use Outpost as the firewall, of course I am running modified O/S, tweaked per say, VMWare, Sandboxed, and machines are imaged.

-Rock

David2011
01-21-2016, 02:43 PM
I've been an IT professional for about 25 years. All computers made in the last 10 years started out as pretty good performers. Today's ultra fast will be an also-ran in 5 years and not everyone can afford to upgrade constantly. For the vast majority that don't upgrade regularly Norton makes decent computers into pigs. Just my professional opinion. Avast! and Malwarebytes can run concurrently and both have free versions for home use. Their definition files are the same for free and paid programs so they will detect the same intrusions. The paid versions offer more ability to configure but don't always offer more ways to intercept intrusions so I've gone with the free versions on my home computers for years.

We use Symantec Endpoint Protection at work and it's pretty effective but I think Avast! and Malwarebytes are more agile in their response to new bugs and in their predictive programming that detects new undefined threats. We often have to wait 24-48 hours to get patches for newly discovered threats with SEP.

AVG seems to be about as effective as Avast! I am not a fan of Norton because it does slow down otherwise perfectly operating computers that may not be top of the line, latest and greatest with tons of RAM and SSD hard drives. I put Norton on my home desktop computer a few years ago and took it off within days because of the performance issues. Avast!, Malwarebytes and AVG don't consume a lot of resources and have had no perceptible impact on properly operating machines even if a few years old.

Running multiple antivirus programs is always a bad idea because each will likely detect the definition files of the other as viruses. One antivirus program and one anti-malware program can be run concurrently.

Apple products are not immune to bugs and as they become a larger portion of the market they are also a bigger target for virus and malware authors.

These are my favorites from the past few years:

Antivirus: www.avast.com (http://www.avast.com/)

Anti-Spy/Ad-ware:

Super Antispyware: www.superantispyware.com (http://www.superantispyware.com/)

Malwarebytes: www.malwarebytes.org (http://www.malwarebytes.org/)

Spybot Search and Destroy: www.security.kolla.de (http://www.security.kolla.de/)

Lavasoft Ad-Aware: www.lavasoft.com (http://www.lavasoft.com/)

David

gwpercle
01-21-2016, 02:58 PM
Download for free at www.timpc.com or www.filehippo.com
Three utilities, CCleaner , Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SUPERAntispyware.
Follow the instructions to install, I went to Tim's Computers site and downloaded, use for computers at office and at home. This stuff seems to work.
Gary

xs11jack
01-21-2016, 08:32 PM
I am trying a new one called Avira Free Antivirus 2016, even recommended by Consumer Reports. So far so go.....
Ole Jack

farmerjim
01-21-2016, 08:57 PM
+ 1 for Linux. Both Debian and Ubuntu Free and 6 years with no virus.

oldcanadice
01-22-2016, 12:51 PM
Bitdefender: the free version. It is not a resource pig and is always rated very highly for protection.

Used to use AVAST, but it was becoming a tracker and resource pig. Cannot recommend it.

DougGuy
01-23-2016, 09:37 PM
While on vacation in Florida last week, my gf's father's HP laptop was really sick, slugged to the hip in malware so bad it couldn't even run.

I installed Eset Nod32 64bit version and let it run. It found 135 instances of malware and suspect applications and cleaned it up pretty good. 43.6gb worth of temp files deleted let it start breating easier, and a defrag with Piriform had it running better than it was when new. Of course we uninstalled a few proggys he never used, and neutered the startup tab in task manager that had everything and it's brother loading and running on boot, ugh...

Give software engineers a fast dual core/quad core processor, and they find a way to slug it down to the speed of a 486 every time.

Just for kicks I d/l the Jan 2016 Microsoft Anti-spyware removal tool which is usually pretty good, and after running Nod32 the M$ tool did not find one suspect file.

Rockydog
01-23-2016, 09:53 PM
I use Trend Micro. I bought a 20 year no cost update for less than $50 a couple of years ago. I can add up to ten computers to it. I get regular updates on the latest threats and month end reports with the number of tracking threats tuned away, viruses and malware threats addressed etc. It even tells me which sites they come from. They keep updating services too. Recently I got a free update that allows me to hover over a link before I open the page in 3-5 second it tells me of there is a danger within the link. It's effective enough that it recently became the main provider at my place of employment. RD

GL49
01-25-2016, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the advice, David2011

Digger
01-25-2016, 12:16 AM
Linux "Mint" user .... using a linux system , it goes on and on and .........
Oh , did I mention "versatile" ? , such a variety of systems to choose from ....:coffeecom

454PB
01-25-2016, 12:30 AM
Reminds me of "who makes the best revolver?"......

I've used about everything previously mentioned, I've never had a problem, but some (like Norton) really suck up resources. I've been using Bitdefender for the last year or so and hardly notice it's installed.