PDA

View Full Version : Remember that bad day casting I had?

armoredman
04-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Well, this morning, after I got my son off to school, I sat down in front of the hypnotism box, AKA computer, and BLAMMO! No internet. (Provider said there was a problem on thier end, clear up in an hour - whew, hadn't been shut off!) OK, I grabbed two small fans, including my sons's cyclone fan, and set up to cast. Ventilation worked perfectly. After about two warm up casts, the TL 356 125 2R cast perfect boolit after perfect boolit - I needed them, ran out shooting 250 rounds yesterday morning! I also shot enough through my 38 to discover the joys of actual leading. Oh, joy. :roll:
Self alloted time span of 45 minutes, before going to do other morning chores, take care of the animals, pull weeds before it heats up, (we have no spring here, just pre-summer), and I was going so good that when the lead actually ran out, I was shocked - one cavity filled, the other empty, no more galena! Not that I had that much in the 10 pound pot, maybe 4.5 pounds.
So, after sorting rejects, I was left with 124 good boolits. not much compared to some of you high volume guys, but good enough for me, for 45 minutes effort. Considering that time would have been wasted on games or web surfing, I figure, by todays prices, $10.66 plus shipping for the same thing elsewhere. Not bad, and a great way to start my last day of vacation...:(:)

HORNET
04-23-2008, 12:41 PM
That's the way it's supposed to work. Sometimes your best choice is to shut down and try again another day. Phase of the moon or something. Congrat's on the casting and condolences on the leading. Guess things balanced out for you. Isn't it amazing how time flies when you're having fun?

armoredman
04-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Emphasis on having fun!

trickyasafox
04-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Nice! what did you do differently to get the better day? clean the mold?

armoredman
04-24-2008, 01:56 AM
Nah, just used my old 9mm mould, not the new one. The rifles are in hock right now ,anyway. Not to worry, they'll be back soon. Got the first batch sized tonight.

bigborefan
04-24-2008, 07:50 AM
I have been casting for over 30 years now and if there is anything that I have learned is that when things don't go right during a casting session, I just quit and wait for another day. As Hornet says, it must be the phase of the moon or something.:-D Doing nothing different than the previous session, casting usually turns out for the better the next time around. Doesn't make sense but works just the same.