PDA

View Full Version : Lead safe america

GOPHER SLAYER
01-18-2016, 04:52 PM
I see commercials several times a day for an outfit called "Lead Safe America". They seem to be concerned about eliminating lead based paint on old houses for now but I don't think they will stop there. If you are into casting long term I would try to lay in a supply before it becomes even more difficult to get. I wouldn't try to find bargains on the price of lead or solder. What seems expensive now may be considered cheap in the not too distant future.

Officer29
01-18-2016, 06:05 PM
Been doing that since the Govt. shut down our last lead smelting plant. Most states do not use lead wheel weights anymore so even that is starting to dry up.

scottfire1957
01-18-2016, 09:09 PM
I remember seeing anti-lead based paint commercials 30-40 or more years ago. They are nothing new, and lead based paint is a health concern for children.

I glanced briefly at the foundations website. It was started in 2011, after her child/children got lead poisoning from paint.

The foundation is newish, lead based paint poisonings are not new, and television commercials for it are not new. When you buy an "older" house, it comes with a lead based paint inspection.

Thanks, but I will continue to not buy lead at too high a price.

geargnasher
01-18-2016, 09:23 PM
Don't worry, Hilda is going to remove the problem of needing lead for anything at all soon anyway.

Gear

sigep1764
01-18-2016, 09:25 PM
I believe they restarted Doe Run. Still doesnt change the fact lead is hard to find.

glockky
01-18-2016, 10:06 PM
My Dad just picked us up another 600lb barrel of wheel weights today.

Digital Dan
01-18-2016, 10:07 PM
Your dad is very strong.

GOPHER SLAYER
01-18-2016, 10:20 PM
Well scottfire excuse me all to **** for posting something that you disagree with. I watch a great deal of TV [too much really] and it is only recently that I have seen these commercials and a plea for public support on this level. I do remember the ads from decades ago about the danger lead based paint poses for children. How long will it take for "Lead Safe America" to morph into" Lead Free America"? Now I could care less whether you buy lead at this time or never at all. I was able to lay up a good supply of lead because of where I worked. I thought would give some advice for newcomers to casting, whether they take it or not is entirely up to them. Perhaps I should stop posting altogether.

flyingmonkey35
01-18-2016, 10:58 PM
If I remember correctly the concern for lead based paint was that it chipped easily and is sweet to the taste.

Which is why it was banned.

The funny thing is this is all about a business that wants to scare the **** out of you so someone will come "test" the paint on your house. So they can charge a ton of cash to your homeowners insurance policy yo remove it.

If you notice the adds are focused in areas where older homes are prevalent.

But I stopped watching traditional TV years ago. So I rarely see commercials

edctexas
01-18-2016, 10:59 PM
I just do not understand peoples phobias about lead poisoning. When I was a baby all paint was lead paint. I played with lead toy soldiers. I bit split shot on fishing tackle. I cast sinkers with Grandpa. I shot in indoor ranges and cast boolits. I have always had near zero lead in my blood. I do not understand how a normal young child would ingest enough lead to die of lead poisoning. Sri abt the rant! Where is the science behind lead bans for hunting?

Ed C

big bore 99
01-18-2016, 11:27 PM
Except for lead paint danger to children, I think the whole thing is overblown. That won't stop the leftists from crying about lead bullets.

Duckiller
01-19-2016, 12:36 AM
Gopher Slayer don't stop posting. Too many others who knew what they were talking about have left or told to go. We need some people who know something about casting and shooting.

leadman
01-19-2016, 01:29 AM
Keep posting. There are many younger folks that do not know about these types of organizations and what could happen if a young child is exposed to lead. I think from what I have read and working in a job concerned with workers safety, that the source of the lead is what determines how easily the lead is transferred to the body. Lead oxide, the white corrosion, is a source that will transfer very easily. I think that the type of lead in paint would also transfer easily. Getting much off a sinker held by the teeth would not transfer very much, if any.
Using a lead cup as the Romans did for their wine to sweeten it is an obvious easily transfer source. The lead sealed tin cans containing the food supplies for that ships crew that was trying to find a northwest passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific ending up sickening the crew and is what seems to have killed them.

It pays to remind folks that there is a possibility of lead contamination in many aspects of our lives. Young ones are harmed much easier by a small amount than are adults.

geargnasher
01-19-2016, 01:35 AM
Gopher Slayer don't stop posting. Too many others who knew what they were talking about have left or told to go. We need some people who know something about casting and shooting.

So, did you report the abrasive post after viewing the abrasive poster's post history and finding that virtually every post they make here is the same miserable, preachy, snarky, sarcastic, sour and generally socially unacceptable garbage and is not helpful or enlightening in the least? I know I did. You can't make people stay around if the atmosphere is unpleasant, but you can help make it less unpleasant for all of us in the first place....and maybe the good ones won't quit. BTW, in case there is any confusion, my previous tongue-in-cheek post above was NOT directed at the OP.

Gear

Garyshome
01-19-2016, 01:45 AM
I think most of the tards don't even know what boolitz are made of. To busy walking around with a cell in the face, dems make it real convenient for them not to have to think much.

mdi
01-19-2016, 03:15 PM
I have no problems Gopher Slayer's post or his opinion. I accept his opinion just like I accept all opinions on a forum; I read it and file it, whether I agree or disagree. But to someone who takes offense at others opinions and posts about how he was wronged and threats to take his ball and go home, all I can say is 'bye, come back when you feel better! Getting upset at indirect comments made on a forum by anonymous posters is rather silly...

And that's just my opinion, and I'm entitled to it...

fredj338
01-19-2016, 04:12 PM
Just look at the wheel weight issue. When Kalifornistan banned the lead ww, I warned guys here to starts stocking up, it would migrate to other states & it has. Add in bans on lead bullets in certain areas, like Kommifornia Condor country, which is the entire state really, you are just going to see the lead bullet & cheap lead alloy dry up. Flint Mich should propel this along even quicker.

bnelson06
01-19-2016, 10:21 PM
There should be a ban on California. That place is poisoning the whole country.

scottfire1957
01-19-2016, 11:29 PM
I have no problems Gopher Slayer's post or his opinion. I accept his opinion just like I accept all opinions on a forum; I read it and file it, whether I agree or disagree. But to someone who takes offense at others opinions and posts about how he was wronged and threats to take his ball and go home, all I can say is 'bye, come back when you feel better! Getting upset at indirect comments made on a forum by anonymous posters is rather silly...

And that's just my opinion, and I'm entitled to it...

I didn't take offense to his post, and meant none.

I don't really know what got his panties twisted, but I found his post alarmist in nature, and offered a different point of view. No hostility was meant, or posted, on my part.

To quote above: "And that's just my opinion, and I'm entitled to it..."

scottfire1957
01-19-2016, 11:30 PM
Keep posting. There are many younger folks that do not know about these types of organizations and what could happen if a young child is exposed to lead. I think from what I have read and working in a job concerned with workers safety, that the source of the lead is what determines how easily the lead is transferred to the body. Lead oxide, the white corrosion, is a source that will transfer very easily. I think that the type of lead in paint would also transfer easily. Getting much off a sinker held by the teeth would not transfer very much, if any.
Using a lead cup as the Romans did for their wine to sweeten it is an obvious easily transfer source. The lead sealed tin cans containing the food supplies for that ships crew that was trying to find a northwest passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific ending up sickening the crew and is what seems to have killed them.

It pays to remind folks that there is a possibility of lead contamination in many aspects of our lives. Young ones are harmed much easier by a small amount than are adults.

Yep. Totally.

scottfire1957
01-19-2016, 11:57 PM
I just do not understand peoples phobias about lead poisoning. When I was a baby all paint was lead paint. I played with lead toy soldiers. I bit split shot on fishing tackle. I cast sinkers with Grandpa. I shot in indoor ranges and cast boolits. I have always had near zero lead in my blood. I do not understand how a normal young child would ingest enough lead to die of lead poisoning. Sri abt the rant! Where is the science behind lead bans for hunting?

Ed C

How much of all that lead did you eat? Ingestion of lead paint chips is what the concern is.

scottfire1957
01-20-2016, 12:40 AM
How long will it take for "Lead Safe America" to morph into" Lead Free America"?

I don't know. All the site sponsors now are involved in lead detection (in the home) or remediation. Nothing remotely involved with recreational use of lead, i.e.fishing, hunting or whatever.

I am not gonna worry about this single organization. Californian Nancy Pelosi is a bigger concern.

leeggen
01-20-2016, 10:09 PM
They need to be more worried about lead pipes in Flint Mi.
CD

dakotashooter2
01-21-2016, 05:52 PM
How much of all that lead did you eat? Ingestion of lead paint chips is what the concern is.

But they never tell us how much would have to be ingested either at one time or over a period of time to have any detrimental effect. I'd bet that like in many such studies one would have to eat enough paint chips to choke a horse. I can see where this might be an issue in the slums but in the average home there just isn't going to be that may paint chips floating around and if they are it is probably for a short period of time. Unless you have kids that knaw on the woodwork the problem is likely overblown. I've been involved with several government funded housing rehab projects which are all required to do lead abatement. Some of the requirement are ridiculous. If traces of lead are found in what are normally inaccessible spaces or even out buildings it had to be mitigated or the project couldn't be done. We set a limit of $20K on any project that was done. Often the lead abatement accounted for 1/3 to 1/2 of the project cost. My take has always been as long as the lead is taken care of the writers of the regulations don't care if there is enough money left to keep the roof from falling in and killing the occupants tomorrow.........

GunsAndHarley
01-21-2016, 10:20 PM
Rotometal have an alloy off bismut for casting. Expansive for now, but price may go down if it goes popular.

truckerdave397
01-21-2016, 10:55 PM
You guys have me fired up. I am going to jump into the Gaylord box at work tomorrow and pick myself out a bucket of wheel weights.

leeggen
01-21-2016, 11:18 PM
Just remember truckerdave397 don't pick your teeth with one while eating that sandwich in the gaylord box. Be safe all.
CD

rintinglen
01-22-2016, 01:07 PM
Fact:
The average number of lead poisoning deaths in the U.S. IN the most recent CDC info is 10 per annum. The average victim is a 50 something, poor, male, southern, Afro-American who drinks moonshine. The average number of deaths per annum has been steadily decreasing since lead solders were largely discontinued.
Mild lead poisoning in young children has been positively shown to be linked to developmental problems.
Don't give young children moonshine or leaded gasoline to drink. Paint chips are not potato chips. Use lead-free solder when constructing stills. Wash your hands after handling lead before eating, drinking, or smoking.
Crisis averted

Duckiller
01-22-2016, 03:30 PM
Flint doesn't have a problem with lead pipes. Flint has a problem with lead in the water. Water from Lake Huron is clean but expensive. Water from the Flint River is dirty but cheap. Bean counter says city is broke(true) so use cheap water. Considering the ethnic make up of the city the decision may also have been a bit racist.

FAsmus
01-22-2016, 11:08 PM
Gentlemen:

It is my understanding that metallic lead (or antimony or zinc or arsenic) is not exactly "safe" but we all know that soldiers have carried spent lead bullets in their bodies for decades.. with nothing going wrong besides the discomfort associated with the foreign object within them.

It is my understanding that it is lead oxide (or oxides of other metals such as antimony, arsenic or heaven forbid, Mercury!) that are readily metabolized by our bodies and the deadly toxic results are there for all to see.

I cast with open an flame under a pot. The inevitable drips and splashes that get onto the steel support grid are soon heated to the place where oxidation happens. The resulting oxide is always very pretty stuff: Lots of nice attractive colors from plain white, yellow, to orange, red and pink are readily seen. You can appreciate why the paint-makers used it to color their products!

This material must be cleaned off from time to time. ~ I always do it outside in windy conditions, making certain the dust from scraping off the oxide drifts away down-wind from me.

I have been casting bullets and rendering WW for years. With simple things like good ventilation and care about oxides all has gone well. The last "heavy metal" blood test came out right inside the perimeters.

Good evening, Forrest

Drew P
01-23-2016, 02:18 AM
Is it possible to absorb lead through the finger skin?

Officer29
01-23-2016, 02:51 PM

Boy I hope not or I should have been dead years ago from all my casting and handling lead boolits.

gwpercle
01-23-2016, 03:39 PM

No , my doctor told me you have to consume it or inhale lead dust. He told me dangers from casting were overblown and told me not to eat them and wash my hands when done. He also told me the lead bullet fragments left in body from a shooting were no danger to my health either.
Gary