PDA

View Full Version : R&D cylinder conversion load data?

moodyholler
10-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Just traded for a new Pietta 1858 Remington and a R&D Convversion cylinder in 45lc. Anyone know the max data for this cylinder? 255 grain pills will be used. Thanks, moodyholler

Denver
10-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Just traded for a new Pietta 1858 Remington and a R&D Convversion cylinder in 45lc. Anyone know the max data for this cylinder? 255 grain pills will be used. Thanks, moodyholler

I'm certain these are safe to use with any load that is safe in the Colt SAA and the clones. Wouldn't recommend any loads that are for Roogers or Contenders over SAAMI specs. I've shot a couple of these conversions with some rather stout loads. Fine shooters they are too.

lar45
10-17-2005, 03:21 AM
Sounds interesting, got pics?

Buckshot
10-17-2005, 07:33 AM
.............My shooting pard Larry, who is a big SASS practitioner has a couple of these. I'm not saying that it is the conversion cylinder that is responsible for it but one of his 1858's is a shooting son uva gun. It seems odd too. We were all checking out the pistol after he'd gotten the cylinder for it.

At the muzzle when they'd crowned it there'd been a fine wire edge turned up. At the other end where one would suppose a forcing cone would go, there wasn't a sign of one! Talk circulated about how much better it would shoot with those things fixed. By common consent it was pretty well unanimous to leave it alone. Why mess with success? I couldn't have made it much better. Heck he'd have had to put a friggin scope on it to utilize the increased accuracy:Fire:

He uses his regular ka-boy load which is 7.0grs of Unique and a 250gr slug in it. He buys commercial cast pistol slugs so I don't know whose they are.

...............Buckshot

moodyholler
10-17-2005, 07:57 AM
I have 1500 loaded rounds of 45lc that is 7.5 grains of Unique and a 250 grain RNFP. I sure hope they don't shoot it loose. It is a neat looking gun. I will try to take some pictures, but I have trouble posting them. moodyholler