PDA

View Full Version : powder jug headspace

rancher1913
01-17-2016, 09:25 PM
I have been combining jugs of the same powder into one for maximum space usage as I don't have a lot of extra shelf space and it always seemed that a new 4 pound jug was only half full. I assumed that it was like cereal, sold by weight and the bigger package was to make you think you were getting more.

got to thinking about ulege and figured I'd better see what the experts think, does powder need head space in a jug in storage or can you fill it up with out affecting the powder.

Ickisrulz
01-17-2016, 10:26 PM
I have received jugs of military surplus powder filled to the rim. I am guessing the sellers know what they are doing.

I figure manufacturers only use 3 sizes of containers and fill them by weight like you said.

dilly
01-17-2016, 10:32 PM
I think they use oversized jugs because not all powder is the same density. If they use a jug big enough for 4lbs of their least dense powder, they don't have to use different jugs for different powders.

Often it seems like they could fit 8 pounds into their 4 pound jugs.

That's always been my hypothesis.

Down South
01-17-2016, 10:38 PM
The only concern that I might have is Lot Numbers. I usually test a new Lot Number to see if I get the same results. If precision shooting at a distant range is not your objective, I don't see any problem.

M-Tecs
01-17-2016, 11:19 PM
The only concern that I might have is Lot Numbers. I usually test a new Lot Number to see if I get the same results. If precision shooting at a distant range is not your objective, I don't see any problem.

Same for me. The powder lot # is part of my record keeping info for my precision loads. For shotgun and normal handgun loads I don't worry about it.

AK Caster
01-18-2016, 09:32 AM
I always fill jugs up. If I buy 12 pounds can usually end up with 8 full containers. No harmful effects after doing this for at least 40 years

GhostHawk
01-18-2016, 09:38 AM
I guess I am the other exception. I leave mine in the container it starts in till it is empty. However I have yet to open my first 8lb jug of Red Dot. I might once that jug is half gone put it into saved 1lb empty Red Dot containers. But I might well just leave it be.

I agree with Dilly, industry seems to prefer a single size for each weight class.
Which is why with a few powders you are really only getting 9-10 ounces per pound. It is just that fluffy.

Elkins45
01-18-2016, 10:19 AM
Commercial powder is shipped that way to leave room in the bottle for expansion in case of outgassing, and (mostly) to lower the bulk density in case it ignites. I vaguely recall there being some discussion of it in the SAAMI section of the older booklets that the powder makers gave away. A lot of surplus is just topped off to near the top because that how much the guy can pour into the jug. I doubt SAAMI would be happy with how most surplus sellers package powder.

I doubt they would love the gallon plastic jugs they use either, although most seem pretty good to me. I still have about half of a jug I bought in the early 90's and the jug still seems flexible and hasn't turned brittle like an old milk jug.

Beerd
01-18-2016, 03:56 PM
..........9-10 ounces per pound........

only in North Dakota do they have 10 ounces per pound! :kidding:

Geezer in NH
01-18-2016, 04:06 PM
only in North Dakota do they have 10 ounces per pound! :kidding:
..More like a NYC butcher shop IMHO :kidding:

bangerjim
01-18-2016, 04:13 PM
Mabe 12 troy ounces per pound? Some think gun powder is like gold these days at the rate they charge for it!

But one standard size bottle (1# / 4# / 8# fill) fits pretty much everything with those powder mongers.

banger

Blammer
01-18-2016, 07:50 PM
sounds like a problem I'd like to have...

Down South
01-18-2016, 09:04 PM
However I have yet to open my first 8lb jug of Red Dot. I might once that jug is half gone put it into saved 1lb empty Red Dot containers. But I might well just leave it be.

Red Dot, You are either using it for shotshell or perhaps a handgun load. Mixing lot numbers wouldn't matter much but be careful to check your charge weights. Promo is the alternative to Red Dot. It's density can change from lot to lot. ALWAYS be sure to check charge weights compared to a new lot. I use both for shotshell reloading for 12 ga.

BD
01-18-2016, 09:13 PM
I fill hundreds of small containers with propellent right to the top every year, and then cork them up tight with lead plugs. I also fill thousands of even smaller containers leaving a little space, (also corked up tight with lead plugs).
All of them always seem to work just fine, even if they stay on the shelf for 20 years before I use them.
BD

Plate plinker
01-18-2016, 09:15 PM
Who has time to repair powder. Skip that step and load it.

GhostHawk
01-18-2016, 10:23 PM
I do very little shotgun reloading. But used with a certain amount of respect and caution it is a very flexible powder in my opinion. List of calibers loaded that I considered successes are 7.62x25, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r, 9mm, .40sw, .45acp, .223 rem. 357 mag (in Rifle) .300 BO, .444 marlin, and a few .410 brass shotshells although it really is not ideal for that. At need I have a lee loader for 12 ga also, so could easily enough do a basic shot/buckshot load.

It surprises me often just how well 4.6 grains of Red Dot works from .223 through 30 caliber all the way up to .357 mag and .357 mag loaded in .360dw brass. With boolits that range from little 55 grain .224 to .360 200 grain.

I do use a little more in the Mosin and the Marlin, but it is still darn economical. Finding load data can be interesting.
Have to keep looking for those needles in haystacks.

As to all the chain rattling up above, LOL, ok I screwed up. Enjoy!

Red Dot, You are either using it for shotshell or perhaps a handgun load. Mixing lot numbers wouldn't matter much but be careful to check your charge weights. Promo is the alternative to Red Dot. It's density can change from lot to lot. ALWAYS be sure to check charge weights compared to a new lot. I use both for shotshell reloading for 12 ga.

Minerat
01-18-2016, 10:54 PM
maybe 10 oz volume not weight?:D

runfiverun
01-20-2016, 01:57 AM
I think he meant only 9-10 oz's fit in a 1 lb bottle.

the only way adding all your powder together and making one big lot would mess you up is if you had a fire, then the insurance will only pay out for the jugs they count, not the powder you had in them.
of course 300 lbs of powder might cancel any payments too.

Elkins45
01-20-2016, 08:39 AM
If you have a powder fire there won't be any plastic jugs left to count.

gwpercle
01-20-2016, 02:26 PM
Define " ulege " please, not familiar with the term.

aspangler
01-20-2016, 03:02 PM
no such word as "ulege".

rancher1913
01-20-2016, 11:45 PM
it's probably not spelled right, but its what head space for expansion is called, most commonly used on tankers.

Rooster
01-21-2016, 12:21 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ullage