PDA

View Full Version : Range score

DrDucati
01-17-2016, 08:41 PM
Went shooting with my new membership at local indoor range...got the go ahead to have all the otherwise uncollected brass I want, AND they been wondering what to do with the range scrap, I told'em I will happily cart of buckets of the stuff... Whoopee!

Yodogsandman
01-17-2016, 08:48 PM
Great score! That should cover the membership fees!

Motor
01-17-2016, 10:29 PM
Dosn't it just amaze you that someone hasn't already beat you to it?

Great score !!!! There is nothing like free material. Indoor range to boot. :)

Motor

Frank46
01-18-2016, 12:22 AM
One local indoor range used to sort and sell brass by the 5 gallon bucket. Then they just dumped whatever brass they picked up and tried to sell it for the same price. DUH!!!!!!!!!!. Shame on them as the majority of it was all once fired. Now they just sell it for scrap. Frank

Schrag4
01-18-2016, 12:31 AM
The local indoor range I go to lets us pick up our brass. I usually ask the shooters on either side of me if they want theirs, and quite often they don't so I end up with it. I believe the range sells the brass that people leave, so I could see how they might not want me doing that, but so far nobody has told me to stop. While I usually come out ahead, it's not as much as you'd think because I see so much of my brass bouncing ahead of the firing line, where it cannot be retrieved. It's quite distracting to see a case roll slowly off the front of the stall counter top.

DrDucati
01-18-2016, 12:42 AM
The local indoor range I go to lets us pick up our brass. I usually ask the shooters on either side of me if they want theirs, and quite often they don't so I end up with it. I believe the range sells the brass that people leave, so I could see how they might not want me doing that, but so far nobody has told me to stop. While I usually come out ahead, it's not as much as you'd think because I see so much of my brass bouncing ahead of the firing line, where it cannot be retrieved. It's quite distracting to see a case roll slowly off the front of the stall counter top.

I caught one of those slow rollers today LoL.
The range I'm going to is low tech. Range hot for 7 minutes then when everyone is in agreement range is called safe and we proceed down range and can change targets pick up brass whatever.

10mmShooter
01-18-2016, 09:28 AM
We have a local range that DOES NOT allow you to pick up your brass, Blackstone Shooting in Charlotte, I make it a point to not support them because of this policy. We have 4 other ranges nearby that I spend my money at instead :)

Keep in mind, I'm not a range scavenger, I just want to pick up my brass.

DerekP Houston
01-18-2016, 10:10 AM
Same here, if it is against policy I will not scavenge brass. I *will* police my own though as I paid for it and brought it.

s1120
01-18-2016, 10:25 AM
Im in a real small club, and I always collect my own. The range rules say that you clean up after yourself. I wont go digging in the brass bucket, but if someone before me missed a few, and its ones I need.... its going home with me!!

Bonz
01-18-2016, 10:34 AM
We have a local range that DOES NOT allow you to pick up your brass, Blackstone Shooting in Charlotte, I make it a point to not support them because of this policy. We have 4 other ranges nearby that I spend my money at instead :)

I shot there once but won't go back because of their brass policy and a few others. There is also the range in Ballantyne, which won't allow you go pickup your brass and you can not shoot anything other than FMJ. My wife and I love Point Blank Range in Matthews and we have bought a membership. They have no issue on letting everyone grab their brass and they don't care about letting you shoot cast. They also have great ventillation inside the range which goes a great job of pulling the smoke away from the benches.

richhodg66
01-18-2016, 10:44 AM
I hate indoor ranges and I'd never be a member anywhere that didn't let you pick up your brass. I'm a member of two ranges and both don't have a problem with picking up brss, one I often do get a lot of various types, the other caters more to real enthusiasts and most pick their own up.

Both don't have a problem scrounging lead either if it doesn't interfere with shooting.

Yeah, I hate indoor ranges for a lot of reasons. The one in Junction City I shot on once I have to admit was a pretty well run operation, I just hate the kind of shooters in attracts. Several guys in there shooting full power factory ammo through AR rifles on a 25 yard indoor range, you really have to wonder what a guy could possibly get out of that besides hearing damage. I'm a retired artilleryman and the noise just about drove even me crazy. I will say the managers of the range sold me 400 rounds of once fired Starline .45 Colt brass that day for what I thought was dirt cheap, so at least it had that going for it, maybe I should go talk to them about lead.

dilly
01-18-2016, 11:00 AM
Went shooting with my new membership at local indoor range...got the go ahead to have all the otherwise uncollected brass I want, AND they been wondering what to do with the range scrap, I told'em I will happily cart of buckets of the stuff... Whoopee!

If you're young enough to cart off buckets of the stuff, you're young enough to shoot up more of it than you think. Grab all you can while you can, because someday your supply will be running low and you'll wish you had gotten more.

My indoor range asks that I don't pick up the brass of other shooters, but is okay with me picking up my own. I find that policy acceptable, and when they recycle brass it brings down the cost of the range anyway.

sigep1764
01-19-2016, 12:52 AM
Sharpshooters in St Louis is awesome. All the brass you want so they dont have to pick it up. Havent been able to get them to let go of the scrap yet but im working on it...

Landshark9025
01-19-2016, 01:39 PM

I'd see if they'd let you "take care of their brass problem" by taking 8-10 white, five gallon buckets and putting some cool "Dead Soldiers Go Here" sign with images of spent cases on it. Put half out, then every day on the way home from work swap them out and sweep up the firing line. They get a nice clean range at peak hours, you get BUCKETS of brass and about once a week or once a month, clean out the trap. Next thing you know, you are sorting brass and smelting lead to pay for your hobby. :)

Besides, it can be bitter cold in GR in the winter. Might as well spend it sorting brass in front of a heater or huddled around a turkey fryer. lol

fastdadio
01-19-2016, 05:34 PM
Well then, I'm only a hop down I96 from you, so iffen you need some help humpin all that lead just let me know...nod..wink. Ducati you say? I'm also a big time motorcycle enthusiast.

DrDucati
01-19-2016, 07:36 PM
Well yes it is very cold right now in GR. Counting about 6 weeks until we turn the corner. With any luck 10 weeks I will be out riding again. Maybe we should do a meet up one o' these days.

Shiloh
01-19-2016, 08:14 PM

Keep in mind, I'm not a range scavenger, I just want to pick up my brass.

That would be my choice. Sheesh!

Shiloh

blikseme300
01-19-2016, 08:22 PM
I prefer shooting outdoors but the indoor range I often visit allows me to pick up brass as much as I want and they have actually steered folks my way that are interested in reloading. I guess me buying most of my reloading supplies from them helps smoothing the way. ;-)

fastdadio
01-20-2016, 05:52 PM
Well yes it is very cold right now in GR. Counting about 6 weeks until we turn the corner. With any luck 10 weeks I will be out riding again. Maybe we should do a meet up one o' these days.
I would enjoy that. I have few friends that ride and even fewer that shoot, and none that cast, reload, and enjoy these activities to the level that I do.