PDA

View Full Version : A good overview about machine gun ownership

FISH4BUGS
01-17-2016, 02:37 PM
Cast bullet related? You bet! Some of us shoot cast lead bullets in our submachine guns. Back in the old days you could buy a case (1000 rounds) of 9mm or 380 or 45 for $70. Those days are long gone. Now it is cast except for those that get shot through a supressor.
I cannot afford a new gun today. I was very lucky - I bought my machine guns in 1986 and shortly thereafter.....just just before the gummint said "...no more machine guns will be made for private ownership". I bought a few more after that but when the prices went nuts that was the end of that.
This article is well written but a bit old. It will tell you what you need to know.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/05/21/machine-guns-legal-practical-guide-full-auto/

WILCO
01-17-2016, 03:25 PM
My shooting interests don't lend themselves to machine guns.

Thanks for the link though.

farmerjim
01-17-2016, 03:29 PM
They are fun to shoot, but can't afford to feed them. They cost too much now because of the govt. caused shortage.

Artful
01-17-2016, 03:44 PM
Not a bad article on the subject.
I would add a few things...
Things to consider when purchasing...
How expensive to get magazines for it?
How Expensive is the ammo to shoot it?
Can it convert to cheaper caliber ammo if need be (hint 22LR)?
What do parts cost and how often do you need them and where can you get them?

All questions you should ask before you leap.

Can you customize to what you want or are you going to degrade the value if you change the sights or shorten the stock.
Can I put a silencer/suppressor on it when I want too without too much hassle?
Is it going to be picky about ammo.
All things you want to research
- talk to others who have gone down this road, some people here have a lot of experience about these items.

FISH4BUGS
01-17-2016, 07:30 PM
They are fun to shoot, but can't afford to feed them. They cost too much now because of the govt. caused shortage.
They ARE fun to shoot. I can't say that I shoot tens of thousands of rounds through mine, but I think a few thousand per gun every year is about right. Some people easily do that with cowboy shooting with their lever guns or 1911's or in any type of competitive shooting.
One of the big reasons I cast now is the cost. It was one thing to buy a case of milsurp 9mm cherap and shoot it up over a month or so. Now you almost HAVE to cast to afford to feed one...or a few.
A number of years ago, I was able to get well over 2000 lbs of wheel weights when a buddy closed his tire shop. He called and told me I had two days to take as many as I wanted because the sale closed in two days. Many trips and a few bloody fingers later, i laid in a lifetime supply of wheel weights. Adding to it when I can get them just keeps that stash intact.
Add the cost of primers and powder (WW231 GOES A loooooooong way - about 1700 shots per pound) and brass that I bought for a penny each back when (there was a time when 9mm brass was $10 per thousand, shipping paid If you bought 10,000) and I can shoot 380 and 9mm and 45 very cheap.
But I can't tell you how pleasant it is to let someone shoot a magazine or two and the smile on their faces doesn't go away for days.........it gives us a chance to let people know about the other kinds of ATFE registered toys, like supressors, short barreled rifles, AOW's and the like.
You are right about the cost of machine guns now. i can't afford to buy any at today's prices. I am awfully glad I listened to that little voice in my head that told me to BUY 30-35 years ago.
I have finished casting, and have been sizing and lubing 3000+ H&G #331 9mm and will load them next. That should hold me for a while.

blademasterii
01-17-2016, 09:14 PM
I've just gotten into stamp collecting and it is addictive. Three on hand and 3 more in process. Wish I could afford the full auto stuff. Maybe one of these days i'll be able to scrape together enough for a mac 11. They are making tons of new uppers in all kinds of calibers for them now. After these 3 stamps come back I should have enough money to pick up an aow stamp. Something like a serbu maybe. I agree that there is nothing like the grin on someones face when you hand them a suppressed sbr and let them empty a mag. My .22 upper on my sbr with the suppressor sounds like a pellet rifle.

Blackwater
01-17-2016, 09:41 PM
Back in about the 80's I think it was, every other good ol' boy had some sort of full auto. Not sure how many had papers on them, and nobody tended to ask back then. A lot of good ol' boys learned to convert them, make auto sears, etc., but of course I stayed WAY away from them. Then, one of the idjit good ol' boys got caught with a real M-16 that had been stolen from a local army air field, and got grilled REALLY well. He wound up telling who he'd bought it from, and the Feds busted a ring of thieves in supply at the base who'd been selling many of these guns. Then the thieves turned on the buyers, and a bunch of people went to Leavenworth. Most of the good ol' boys disposed of their "toys," and were glad to do it. Not many good ol' boys tend to like it much at Leavenworth!

I've shot the M-16's, M-14's and like the 14's better. They CAN be controlled IF you know how to do it. No limp wristers allowed with them, though. I'd really love something belt fed like a 1919 or the like, but .... as stated, the price is way out'a my league these days.

It's amazing how many old machine guns, including some belt fed, tripod mounted guns, were sent home a piece at a time after WWII. And they're pretty much still out there, too, usually along with several cases of ammo in belts. Of course, this is just gossip I've heard, but it sure makes a fella' pay attention!

starmac
01-18-2016, 12:33 AM
Only shot a full auto once, it was fun, but once was enough for me, and I would have no reason to want one, but I do support the rights that we should have concerning them.

FISH4BUGS
01-18-2016, 07:57 AM
After these 3 stamps come back I should have enough money to pick up an aow stamp. Something like a serbu maybe.
If you are talking about a Super Shorty, I have one in 20 ga. Mark Serbu said he only made about 30 of them in 20 ga., the rest are all 12 ga.
If you have a choce, get the 870 based SS. The actions tend to feed better that the Mossbergs, in my opinion.
But a way fun gun. Totally useless for anything but fun.

FISH4BUGS
01-18-2016, 08:01 AM
It's amazing how many old machine guns, including some belt fed, tripod mounted guns, were sent home a piece at a time after WWII. And they're pretty much still out there, too, usually along with several cases of ammo in belts. Of course, this is just gossip I've heard, but it sure makes a fella' pay attention!
A lot of these WW2 and Korea vets are dying off and their families are finding the guns in the attics, in trunks, and hidden around their houses. It is a real problem foir the families, for these guns that often are worth tens of thousands of dollars have to be scrapped or donated to a museum.
It is a shame to see them go away. The ATFE won't let you register them so you are screwed.

Lloyd Smale
01-18-2016, 08:12 AM
if they were easier to buy and were reasonably priced id have one or two. They definitely put a smile on the face of anyone shooting themn and isn't that why we shoot?

dragon813gt
01-18-2016, 09:33 AM
One of these days I will buy a RDIAS. Better than a rifle IMO because you can move it between rifles. Should probably buy one pronto because prices are only going up. The NFA and GCAs need to go away because they don't do a thing to stop criminals from acquiring these type of firearms.

Artful
01-18-2016, 07:17 PM
One of these days I will buy a RDIAS. Better than a rifle IMO because you can move it between rifles. Should probably buy one pronto because prices are only going up. The NFA and GCAs need to go away because they don't do a thing to stop criminals from acquiring these type of firearms.

a link for you
http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/dias.html

Four-Sixty
01-20-2016, 06:22 AM
I knew a Veteran who was shot at by an MG-42, and even cut back the recoil spring on another captured MG-42 so he would not be mistaken for a German. I have long been curious to see one fired. He would say it sounded like someone ripping a bed sheet.

FISH4BUGS
01-20-2016, 08:20 AM
I knew a Veteran who was shot at by an MG-42, and even cut back the recoil spring on another captured MG-42 so he would not be mistaken for a German. I have long been curious to see one fired. He would say it sounded like someone ripping a bed sheet.
The MG42 has a rate of fire of some 1200 rounds per minute. It is incredibly fast. It keeps up with the MACS!
There are always one or two at the machine gun shoots. They are unmistakable.

Artful
01-20-2016, 01:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL09sLcKW4M

Don Purcell
01-21-2016, 06:46 PM
If I could own (afford) full auto I would like to have four. Thompson .45 ACP, FND-BAR 30.06, belt fed Browning 30.06, Browning belt fed .50 cal.. Thanks to my late friend Kent Lomont I was able to indulge myself and are some of the many good memories he left me.