PDA

View Full Version : Powder coated gas check bullet question

drw
01-16-2016, 07:02 AM
Should the gas check be applied before or after powder coating the bullet??

I am using a Lachmiller 38 155 GC bullet. Is similar to 358156 Lyman GC bullet.

chutesnreloads
01-16-2016, 08:27 AM
after

10x
01-16-2016, 08:38 AM
Your choice. If you install and crimp the gas check with a sizer, clean the bullet before you powder coat.

Any size lube or grease on the bullet will result in poor coverage. Even handling the bullets after using hand lotion will result in poor coverage.

I have done done it both ways and have found it easier to install the gas check on some bullets prior to powder coating.

When I do install the gas check and size first I will place the bullets on a fresh sheet of paper towel and give them a rinse with Brake Kleen, then dry, then powder coat.

Hickok
01-16-2016, 09:23 AM
This might help; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?296917-Gas-checking-before-or-after

Motor
01-16-2016, 09:27 AM
I like to gas check after PC. I use Lee push through size dies and have found that I can size bullets with them un-lubed without any problems. The boolits that I gas checked before PC were checked with aluminum checks though. Again no lube and no problems.

I have not tried this with a copper gas check and probably won't. I put the copper gas checks on after PC.

When you gas check after PC make sure that your check is tight. PC is an excellent lubricant. The gas check needs a firm grip to stay put.

Motor

chutesnreloads
01-16-2016, 10:17 AM
This might help; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?296917-Gas-checking-before-or-after
:wink:I stand corrected

drw
01-16-2016, 01:43 PM
Thanks to all. I used Hornady copper checks and put the check on after the powder coat and they are hard to pull off with pliers. I also put the check on and then powder coated and they were nearly impossible to pull off. Both ways worked for me. I used a Lee push through 358 sizer.

bangerjim
01-16-2016, 01:50 PM
I do it both ways. Totally depends on the boolit design.

Some boolits go thru base first, some nose first...again depending on design. Some will have one side of the PC scraped off, others do not. Some you can easily snap the GC on after PC others not.

Pick 'yer poison, pardner!

My best recommendation is to try ALL methods and see what works for that design of boolit and then make a note on the mold box for future usage. Screw-ups melt very easily.

banger

Hickok
01-16-2016, 03:10 PM
:wink:I stand corrected Ah you don't need corrected, it works either way! :bigsmyl2:

44man
01-19-2016, 04:26 PM
Why would you increase the size of the GC area over what the GC needs with PC?