PDA

View Full Version : USPS Shipping

Bonz
01-15-2016, 05:52 PM
According to USPS, the most important thing we should do is either place a photo copy of the shipping label or hand write a copy of the addresses of both the shipper and the intended receiver and the tracking #, inside the box.

If the original label comes off, or gets damaged and unreadable, etc., the package is sent to a USPS recovery location. Once the package arrives, it is opened to determine what the package contents are and look for shipping information. If all the shipping information is included inside the box, they will recreate the shipping label and reship at no additional expense.

I found out the hard way...

duckey
01-15-2016, 05:58 PM
Good to know

bangerjim
01-15-2016, 06:13 PM
I ship lots of stuff with my company. Have for many years. You ALWAYS put a packing list INSIDE the box! That is with USPS/UPS/FEDEX. That way, if anything on the outside gets damaged (many times with USPS for us! Never use USPS anymore) they can know where it came from and return it to you.

bangerjim

William Yanda
01-15-2016, 06:23 PM
I include a packing slip. In addition, after taping the edges of the label, I put a wide strip of tape across the name and address on the label. I think I learned it here. Every time I do that I think; Destroy that, if you can. Probably helps that I usually use Priority with tracking and insurance included, small packages with low value.

M-Tecs
01-15-2016, 06:29 PM
I put the contents in the free Tyvek envelopes with the address on the envelopes. Even if the box is total destroyed each envelope has an address on it.

snuffy
01-16-2016, 12:36 AM
According to USPS, the most important thing we should do is either place a photo copy of the shipping label or hand write a copy of the addresses of both the shipper and the intended receiver and the tracking #, inside the box.

If the original label comes off, or gets damaged and unreadable, etc., the package is sent to a USPS recovery location. Once the package arrives, it is opened to determine what the package contents are and look for shipping information. If all the shipping information is included inside the box, they will recreate the shipping label and reship at no additional expense.

I found out the hard way...

(and the tracking #, inside the box.)
That means printing the label BEFORE wrapping the box? That would be the only way to get a tracking # so it could be included inside the box. Printing the label is the last thing I do. Sometimes I package stuff a couple of days before I send it.

I agree the destination addy should be on the the contents so it could still be forwarded if it gets broken open.

Be careful about taping across the label. You cannot cover the bar code area, their scanners can't read past a shiny surface. I use the heaviest grade paper I have so it is harder to rip off.

imashooter2
01-16-2016, 01:44 AM
Anyone that has received a box from me knows I tape over the addresses and bar codes with clear shipping tape. No problems with scanning yet, but it's only been a couple hundred shipments.

I always put the goods in a tyvek bag inside the box and print "Lost from inside postage paid box. Please return to: (address)" on the bag.

snuffy
01-16-2016, 05:14 AM
Anyone that has received a box from me knows I tape over the addresses and bar codes with clear shipping tape. No problems with scanning yet, but it's only been a couple hundred shipments.

I always put the goods in a tyvek bag inside the box and print "Lost from inside postage paid box. Please return to: (address)" on the bag.

Perhaps you should read the destructions on the click-N-ship label where it says
"1 Each click-N-sjip label is unique. Labels are to be use as prinetd and only used once. DO NOT PHOTO COPY OR ALTER LABEL

2. Place your label so it does not wrap around the edge of the package.

3. Adhere your label to the package. A self adhesive label is recommended. DO NOT TAPE OVER BARCODE. Be sure all edges are secure.

too many things
01-16-2016, 05:26 AM
YES you can tape over the barcode I do on every package and cover both addresses . the old scaners had a problem but new ones don't .
The duck brand tape that Lowes has is the best and cheapest I have found

imashooter2
01-16-2016, 10:57 AM
Perhaps you should read the destructions on the click-N-ship label where it says
"1 Each click-N-sjip label is unique. Labels are to be use as prinetd and only used once. DO NOT PHOTO COPY OR ALTER LABEL

2. Place your label so it does not wrap around the edge of the package.

3. Adhere your label to the package. A self adhesive label is recommended. DO NOT TAPE OVER BARCODE. Be sure all edges are secure.

Perhaps the USPS should handle the packages better. I don't care about their label rules. I care about my package getting to its destination. The fact is, putting clear tape over the address and bar codes does not prevent scanning and does positively affect package survivablility.

DerekP Houston
01-16-2016, 11:04 AM
Perhaps the USPS should handle the packages better. I don't care about their label rules. I care about my package getting to its destination. The fact is, putting clear tape over the address and bar codes does not prevent scanning and does positively affect package survivablility.

My last company used UPS courier service and Fedex for overnight. I routinely taped over the labels as the humidity and rain smudges the writing easily here.

William Yanda
01-18-2016, 09:19 AM
Nice to know the new scanners can read through tape. It might happen that perhaps, maybe, someday, USPS will update their instructions. I don't want to start a fight, but where did you get that information?
Bill

imashooter2
01-18-2016, 10:33 AM
Me? I got my information by dropping packages at the PO, watching them be scanned and then seeing tracking updates as the package moved around the country.

I will say I'm careful to make sure the tape is smooth across the codes and addresses. I wouldn't doubt that if you have big wrinkles over the codes it might cause problems.

Bonz
01-18-2016, 10:40 AM
I always tape over "half" of the barcode and tape over the addresses which are not scanned.

USPS told me that I could make a photocopy of the shipping label and put it inside the box. They said that its against the law to make a photocopy of a shipping label and try to use the photocopy as a label to ship another box. LOL, no freebies

jonp
01-18-2016, 10:48 AM
I use clear packing tape and tape over the entire label i generated online at usps. I have never lost a label as the box would have to be destroyed to lose one. Bonz has great advice and frim now on ill put an extra inside.

Never thought to do it before. Thanks Bonz

Btw: whoever told you it is against the law to make photocopies is full of it. One of the options in printing the label at home is to make 2 copies and also to save it as a pdf.

Bonz
01-18-2016, 11:01 AM
I use clear packing tape and tape over the entire label i generated online at usps. I have never lost a label as the box would have to be destroyed to lose one. Bonz has great advice and frim now on ill put an extra inside.

That was USPS's excuse for not honoring a claim for a lost box of brass.

castalott
01-18-2016, 11:45 AM
I'm a rural carrier. Please don't put the barcode where 2 edges of cardboard meet. The edges 'dip' and sometimes the code won't scan. Putting tape on 1/2 the code is a good idea. Usually one side or the other will scan. Write 'from x' and 'to Y' on several sides but smaller than where the stamps or paid stickers are. Use the standard letter placement on packages. I've seen a package with one name on one side and another name on the other side without from or to on either side. You can guess that one took longer than most....

Consider writing the 'zip code' in larger numbers that are EASY to read. If clear tape is used without bumps, folds, or clearness issues it doesn't usually cause problems but I still wouldn't tape all of a barcode.

A small test of how well you have done is show someone the package for 1/2 second. If they can't clearly understand who it's from and who it is to, then it could be better.

Simple and BOLD is good when it comes to addressing. Flowing prose that is not readable just doesn't work.. Larger printing is good. Some try to make the letters much too small for fast reading.

I ( and most of my fellow rural carriers ) take great pride in doing a good job. Indeed, I know over 95% of my customers on a first name basis and I would hate to think I did them wrong by damaging or delaying a package.

Dale

jonp
01-18-2016, 08:49 PM
That was USPS's excuse for not honoring a claim for a lost box of brass.

Packing tape over the label? The lady at the post office up here told me it was fine as long as it was flat, clear and had no seams or bubbles. I asked before shipping. That's the problem with USPS. Everyone says something different. I stopped at a post office a couple of towns away to mail a box and first she told me the SFRB weighed too much. UH..it says right on the box "all you can fit". Then she said if you have to tape it you have too much in it. I just took it back and went to the local PO. The lady there looked at me and told me it was fine and that PO were a bunch of idiots. I had a PO tell me I couldn't ship a regular box because I used some priority tape on it. What??? I took it to my local, again, and again she laughed and said that person was an idiot.

No wonder UPS and FedEx are taking over.

TreeKiller
01-19-2016, 12:13 AM
"I had a PO tell me I couldn't ship a regular box because I used some priority tape on it. What??? I took it to my local, again, and again she laughed and said that person was an idiot." quote

Sure you can ship a non priority box with priority tape on it but you should pay the standard priority rate if caught at the end the receiver will pay postage due for the difference.
City Carrier 34 years

gtgeorge
01-19-2016, 12:11 PM
I tape over the labels to prevent damage to the labels and have not had a problem with a single package getting delivered in 3+ years of shipping almost daily. In fact as we speak I have 14 SFRB waiting for today's pickup. Clear tape with the lable flat and no wrinkles or bubbles is the way to go.

Is a sad day that my labels jumped from $5.25 to $6.80 now though.

Screwbolts
01-20-2016, 07:58 AM
I print all my labels using PayPal Multi-order shipping, $6.10 SFRB, with free tracking, doesn't every one use them "only" for their cheaper rates?

Ken

snuffy
01-20-2016, 12:49 PM

I doubt this will show up, it's a copy of the click&ship instructions concerning copying and covering the barcode on the label. Not saying anyone doubts what I said was wrong, just putting it out there as to what the post office wants us to not do.

I too want the entire label to be covered with clear shipping tape. Postal workers are not too careful with packages, the paper label could easily be ripped off if not covered with plenty of tape. For my boxes, I cover all of the label with tape except the barcode.

Down South
01-20-2016, 09:32 PM

Have done that before.

jonp
01-21-2016, 08:34 AM
I print all my labels using PayPal Multi-order shipping, $6.10 SFRB, with free tracking, doesn't every one use them "only" for their cheaper rates?

Ken
No, i dont use them. I go direct to usps and print my sfrb labels for $5.25

dragon813gt
01-21-2016, 08:53 AM
No, i dont use them. I go direct to usps and print my sfrb labels for $5.25

That's the old pricing. And as such Paypal price was cheaper than directly off of the USPS site. I'm pretty sure he meant to type $5.10. I haven't shipped anything since the new pricing went into effect so I'm not sure what the charges now are.

gtgeorge
01-21-2016, 10:40 AM
That's the old pricing. And as such Paypal price was cheaper than directly off of the USPS site. I'm pretty sure he meant to type $5.10. I haven't shipped anything since the new pricing went into effect so I'm not sure what the charges now are.
SFRB is $6.80 now even with my commercial account :( At least that is what I paid for several over the last couple days.

Down South
01-26-2016, 11:21 AM
I shipped a SFRB last week. I have an online account. The Click N Ship rate was $6.80.

historicfirearms
01-26-2016, 08:10 PM
In the post office it cost me $6.80 for a small flat rate box.

Harter66
06-18-2021, 12:14 PM
My deal is I pack it all and secure the addresses . I never worried about the contents getting completely separated from the boxes out west . Being here however I have a 50/50 chance of every package coming or going through Memphis TN . They I firmly believe have no less that 50% of the staff fill with Samsonite and airlines luggage handlers . I've begun double packaging where possible for anything going east of Kansas from here .

I just received a padded envelope with a bubble envelope inside that contained a coil spring kit with the springs in one kit embedded in their manufacturer plastic bag .

Ive had 2 items that I could have driven over and picked up spent a night both was and met up with friends for a day or two and been time ahead . The Midway box took 4 days to clear Missouri and 3 across Arkansas twice . Another took 14 days after the ETA on the Express box to come 168 miles from 40 miles south of Tulsa to 55 miles south of Ft Smith AR .
What's irritating about that is that I've gotten packages from Oregon , Nevada , and Idaho in under 72 hr from counter to box/porch . It's not ok .

pworley1
06-18-2021, 12:33 PM
My deal is I pack it all and secure the addresses . I never worried about the contents getting completely separated from the boxes out west . Being here however I have a 50/50 chance of every package coming or going through Memphis TN . They I firmly believe have no less that 50% of the staff fill with Samsonite and airlines luggage handlers . I've begun double packaging where possible for anything going east of Kansas from here .

I just received a padded envelope with a bubble envelope inside that contained a coil spring kit with the springs in one kit embedded in their manufacturer plastic bag .

Ive had 2 items that I could have driven over and picked up spent a night both was and met up with friends for a day or two and been time ahead . The Midway box took 4 days to clear Missouri and 3 across Arkansas twice . Another took 14 days after the ETA on the Express box to come 168 miles from 40 miles south of Tulsa to 55 miles south of Ft Smith AR .
What's irritating about that is that I've gotten packages from Oregon , Nevada , and Idaho in under 72 hr from counter to box/porch . It's not ok .

He is right about Memphis. I live less than 100 miles from Memphis and I have five packages that have been floating in "the Twilight Zone" for weeks after reaching Memphis.

scattershot
06-18-2021, 12:33 PM
I mailed a first class letter from Denver to LA on the 1 8th of May, and it hasn’t gotten there yet. This was a replacement letter for one that took a month to get there, also. I’m done with the PO.

rondog
06-19-2021, 03:01 AM
In the post office it cost me $6.80 for a small flat rate box.

They're up to $8.45 now.

rondog
06-19-2021, 03:12 AM
I sell and ship a lot of brass, quite often MFRB's and LFRB's packed full. When I can, I use the Tyvek envelopes to put the brass in, and tape those tightly into a bundle.

I'll take a second box and cut it into pieces to completely line the shipping box with, then tape those pieces together - essentially making a second box inside the first. Doubling the cardboard thickness.

Then, I'll use the nylon filament strapping tape and tape the snot of of it. All the seams, all the edges, and around the middles. A LFRB full of 9mm brass weighs around 45lbs, one full of .223 a bit less. I want that sucker tough enough to jump up and down on when I'm done, and I want it to arrive intact!

A PITA, yes - but worth it, and unfortunately, necessary.

Burnt Fingers
06-20-2021, 02:52 PM
I'm a rural carrier. Please don't put the barcode where 2 edges of cardboard meet. The edges 'dip' and sometimes the code won't scan. Putting tape on 1/2 the code is a good idea. Usually one side or the other will scan. Write 'from x' and 'to Y' on several sides but smaller than where the stamps or paid stickers are. Use the standard letter placement on packages. I've seen a package with one name on one side and another name on the other side without from or to on either side. You can guess that one took longer than most....

Consider writing the 'zip code' in larger numbers that are EASY to read. If clear tape is used without bumps, folds, or clearness issues it doesn't usually cause problems but I still wouldn't tape all of a barcode.

A small test of how well you have done is show someone the package for 1/2 second. If they can't clearly understand who it's from and who it is to, then it could be better.

Simple and BOLD is good when it comes to addressing. Flowing prose that is not readable just doesn't work.. Larger printing is good. Some try to make the letters much too small for fast reading.

I ( and most of my fellow rural carriers ) take great pride in doing a good job. Indeed, I know over 95% of my customers on a first name basis and I would hate to think I did them wrong by damaging or delaying a package.

Dale

Ahh... the old days. That was an Amazon thing. I lost more time trying to scan those Amazon boxes than anything else.

I used to have a side business, I shipped over 100 packages a week. I ALWAYS taped over the barcode and the address. The old scanners had no problem reading through the tape. I left before the current generation of carrier tracking devices were released.

As long as the tape was flat with no wrinkles or bubbles the scanner had no problem. Getting the barcode caught in the gap caused a lot of problems.

A properly packaged item will arrive 99.99% of the time with no problem. Improperly packaged items...not so much.

During the short time I was a mail handler we had some bozo that decided to send some ripe apricots to a friend. He took a large cardboard box, dumped in 50 lbs of ripe apricots, taped it up and mailed it...parcel post. Of course this was during a warm spell. In the 12 hours it took those apricots to make it to the main office they had been reduced to mush and were fermenting. What a mess.

If you don't have access to a apricot tree then you don't know what a ripe apricot is...that actually goes for peaches, plums, and nectarines too.

All of those stone fruits should be eaten right off the tree warm from the sun. Make sure you have a towel because you're going to get wet while you enjoy those bits of heaven.

A truly ripe stone fruit can't be shipped around the block, much less 100 miles down the road in a box with no padding.