PDA

View Full Version : tang sight for '76 & '94?

rpludwig
01-15-2016, 12:46 PM
Old eyes need help on these two old timers...any recommendations for no-drill tang sights?

stubbicatt
01-16-2016, 07:16 AM
I'm not sure what no drill sights are, but I just received a "budget" MVA sight and base for my 94, vintage 1904. It already has the second hole drilled in the tang. The sight is spectacular, and I would unhesitatingly recommend the sight. Got a second base for my 1885 also, as the staff is readily interchangeable.

The way I see it is, either the tang is already drilled, or it isn't. If it isn't, some of the 94's at least, had two little holes on the left rear of the frame where one could mount an aperture sight on the receiver. I would think that the 1876 would have the drilled tang?

Rick B
01-16-2016, 01:00 PM
I second the MVA recommendation. I have an 1876 with a Mid Range Soule and extra bases for other Winchester lever guns.the Soule sight gives the shooter the ability to make wind age adjustments. Zero the sight, and write down the sight settings. Moving the staff from one base to the other and setting the zero is a five minute operation. I also highly recommend a Hadley eyecup. I Know these sights are expensive. Buy once and cry once. You won't be disappointed.
Rick

rpludwig
01-16-2016, 01:55 PM
good recommendation on MVA...

torn tween MVA and Marbles...tang screw spacing on both is ~2 3/16"...hoping one or the other (or both) will work without drilling & tapping...not going to do that on either gun...

Anyone with experience on Marbles for the 94 & 76?

...and will either or both work with existing front sight?

pietro
01-16-2016, 02:06 PM

IME, the only time drilling a tang for a tang peep sight installation would not be needed is if the rifle already had the factory D&T tang sight prep.

rpludwig
01-16-2016, 02:56 PM
hmmm...specs on the marbles website shows hole spacing is ok (within 2 3/16") for both the 94 & 76 (originals)...don't know about MVA...

missionary5155
01-16-2016, 03:05 PM
Greetings
Have a Marbles on a 38-55 1894 Win and am very happy with it. I chose it because it has windage adjustment. No problem with installation.
Mike in Peru

rpludwig
01-16-2016, 03:30 PM
Greetings
Have a Marbles on a 38-55 1894 Win and am very happy with it. I chose it because it has windage adjustment. No problem with installation.
Mike in Peru

Mike, were you able to use the original front sight? No drill & tap (uses existing tang screw holes)?

Rick B
01-16-2016, 04:07 PM
The Marbles Sight works well. However the option of using a Hadley Eyecup with the wide range of aperture sizes will allow you to have a clear focused sight picture of the front sight regardless of the light conditions. Not uncommon for me to shoot multiple ranges 100-200 yards back and forth with a quick adjustment and be right on the money. That is more difficult to do with the Marbles. Bases are made for most of the Winchester lever guns. No drilling and tapping required. Some of the bases are suitable for use on several models. However the tang screw might differ.