PDA

View Full Version : ready to go with 9mm

Don Fischer
01-15-2016, 06:30 AM
Ordered a 124gr Lee mold, TC tip. Got here a couple days ago. Also ordered a new Lyman handbook, got here yesterday. Ordered a couple new part's for my Dillon Sq Deal so ready to go. Cast up 100 bullet's today and got them lubed with Lee Alox lube. Had a box of 124gr Hornady's and tried out the press. Have to get used to something other than a single stage press! The JHP Hornady's will go in my 9mm for carry but for practice I'm gonna shoot the 124gr TC cast bullet's They are nice looking bullet's!

problem I'm having with ny Dillon is probably that I haven't used it in years! Don't remember to seat a new primer every time and a few not well seated. Gave some work for my Lee hand primer seating them right. The press itself seem's to work fine, the operator leaves some thing to be desired!

chutesnreloads
01-15-2016, 06:39 AM
Sounds as if you could benefit from slowing down.Sometimes slower really IS faster.

tazman
01-16-2016, 04:31 PM
The 124 grain tc mold is a tumble lube design. Often it doesn't work well in the 9mm. People have trouble with leading, tumbling, and poor accuracy. I hope you are one of the ones that it works for.
The non tumble lube 356-120-tc would have been a better choice. It seems to work for everyone. You can use the alox tumble lube with it even though it wasn't specifically designed for it.

1_Ogre
01-17-2016, 11:32 AM
I've run hundreds of thousands through my SDB with no problems. Call Dillon and they will send you for free the SDB manual. Follow it and you will have NO problems. Be particular and use your calipers when setting up the primer setup, it's worth the 10min it takes.

finattic
01-17-2016, 07:45 PM
just some information for you to consider, you need to use factory ammo when you carry your weapon, not that your reloads will not perform but due to the lawyer effect If you ever(and I hope you never have too) have to use your weapon for defense a lawyer can take you apart since you used handloaded ammo, there have been cases this has happened and it make the good guy look like a bad guy. as I said just something for you to consider.

Don Fischer
01-17-2016, 09:02 PM
just some information for you to consider, you need to use factory ammo when you carry your weapon, not that your reloads will not perform but due to the lawyer effect If you ever(and I hope you never have too) have to use your weapon for defense a lawyer can take you apart since you used handloaded ammo, there have been cases this has happened and it make the good guy look like a bad guy. as I said just something for you to consider.

I have heard of that. I don't plan on having to shoot anyone but if I do, it won't be with a cast bullet. The way the reload was explained to me was if you used a reload, you intended to shoot someone with it. But if you use the same exact bullet but a factory load, then you didn't expect to shoot anyone. they could hang me up on the gun. I'm a DA revolver user. But the DA revolver doesn't have the fire power. other than protection, I would not want to own anything above 22RF for a handgun. I should mention that I will spend the money on a box of factory ammo but practice will be with lead. Should I want to practice with factory equivalent stuff, I can load it.

wills
01-17-2016, 09:37 PM
I have heard that too, but no one has ever provided a cite. One of those old wives tales that don't seem to dissipate.

mcdaniel.mac
01-17-2016, 10:27 PM
I have heard that too, but no one has ever provided a cite. One of those old wives tales that don't seem to dissipate.
People like to cite Harold Fish. A big deal was made of his 10mm carry gun, but he wasn't using reloads and there were some other issues with his case.

The other two cases I hear about are one where a guy kept essentially cowboy wad cutter loads, his wife **** herself with them, and the GSR was sparse and looked more like an across-the-room shoot, because there was almost no powder behind the bullet. He was acquitted though. Also, had he not left a loaded gun where his suicidal wife with (if I recall accurately) a history of substance abuse and BPD could easily get it, he might have avoided the trial completely.

Another one was a case where a guy used reloads in an iffy shoot, they came up in trial and the prosecutor was made to look stupid for it, guy acquitted.

I don't see a reason not to use reloads. Lots of pearl-clutching to be done about it. Failing that, buy a box of factory ammo and carry that, and reload a ballistic match to practice with.

jmort
01-17-2016, 10:43 PM
In the matter of the late Harold Fish, the prosecution introduced evidence, allowed by the trial judge, that he used a more powerful, than LEOs, 10mm, had lots of guns and ammo, and obtained firearms training. The primary care, relied on by the Ayboobites, involved a man convicted of murdering his girlfriend. He claimed she committed suicide. The trial judge would not allow evidence to be introduced by the defendant based on his reloads. The judge determined that evidence related to the reloads would be unreliable. There is no case related to self-defense and reloads.

mcdaniel.mac
01-17-2016, 11:00 PM
I should add that the entire "science" of forensic ballistics is coming under a lot of fire, as is fingerprinting and DNA testing. I don't want to derail this thread, but I would not be surprised to see a lot of convictions overturned based on testimony that expert witnesses have been overstating the reliability aND strength of forensic investigation.

finattic
01-18-2016, 12:28 AM
when I made that comment I did not want to stir up a lot of mess but here is my thinking and I might be totally wrong, if you have to use your gun for self defense weather the bad guy is dead or not more than likely you will be in court being sued by the family in a civil case. If a penny anti lawyer can disclose you used handloaded ammo he can twist things around. A 25 to 30 dollar box of your favorite brand( I aint gona open that can of worms) would be one less thing you have to worry about. The bad part of this is you are the good guy defending your life and have to put up with rest of the mess. less rights than the criminals.

mcdaniel.mac
01-18-2016, 12:35 AM
when I made that comment I did not want to stir up a lot of mess but here is my thinking and I might be totally wrong, if you have to use your gun for self defense weather the bad guy is dead or not more than likely you will be in court being sued by the family in a civil case. If a penny anti lawyer can disclose you used handloaded ammo he can twist things around. A 25 to 30 dollar box of your favorite brand( I aint gona open that can of worms) would be one less thing you have to worry about. The bad part of this is you are the good guy defending your life and have to put up with rest of the mess. less rights than the criminals.
I would like to see the legal precedent for that.

Many states have legal protection against lawsuits if the use of force was lawful.

Don Fischer
01-18-2016, 01:31 PM
I probably shouldn't do this but I got a very good piece of advice from a NYC cop many years ago. I was driving truck's interstate hauling produce and meat into the hell hole's of the city back then. The Bronks, Little West 12th St and Harlem. He told me that if I hve to shoot someone don't call them; just leave him lay! He said they would find him sooner or latter and there would be a lot less paper work that way! BTW, I've never had to shoot anyone.