PDA

View Full Version : Looks like a NOE sale landed correctly this time

AbitNutz
01-13-2016, 06:33 PM
It seems like every time NOE ran a sale it was on something I already had or would never need. This time Al ran a sale on a couple of .311 rifle bullets.

I chose the .311-180-FN-GC 4 cavity brass. I'm going to give brass a whirl. I have a 2 cavity HP 45 mold from MP and it's never really worked out for me. Hopefully this time will be better.

The .311-180-FN-GC has two grease grooves instead of the multi grease groove style...which is also on sale. I've never had good luck with that style bullet. They were always a super pain to try and get all those grease grooves filled. I'm sure the bullets shot well but getting to that point was a bit frustrating.

It's going into my secret pet rifle. You know, that rifle you love above all others but are almost ashamed to admit it?

It's .303 British but it's on a Siamese Mauser action. I put a nice 24 inch barrel on it and it sits in a left handed walnut stock that I hand sanded to exhaustion. Wax On! Wax Off! It looks a lot better than it sounds. I'm not going to tell you that it shoots dime size holes at 500 yards. It doesn't. The accuracy is more than acceptable.

At this point most ask: Why put a .303 British on a Siamese Mauser? Well, I had a nice Siamese Mauser action and something over a 1000 rounds of surplus Israeli .303 ammo. This ammo is about the best 50 year old ammo I've ever used. No steel in the jacket or core, totally non-magnetic. Boxer primed, non-corrosive. Accuracy was just OK but the brass is absolutely top notch. If I keep the pressures in the green, the brass lasts forever. Of course, this cartridge in a strong bolt action you can run the pressure well up beyond what I would shoot in an Enfield. So what? Then all you have is a 308? I figure it will last a million rounds shooting cast.

The thing I love about it is that the accuracy seems to be more than acceptable no matter what I do to it. If I full length resize...it shoots fine. If I neck size...it shoots fine. If I use H4350 and 178gr Match King bullets...it shoots fine. If I shoot Sierra 125gr .311 bullets....well, you get the picture.

This is why I'm going to try cast in this. I usually only shoot cast in big bore rifles or pistols. I'm hopping that this combination of on sale brass mold in usually very forgiving equals...you guess it...shoots fine.

dragon813gt
01-13-2016, 07:11 PM
I'm not opening any of his emails after seeing how much money I spent w/ him last year ;)

AbitNutz
01-13-2016, 07:31 PM
He should have a buy 5 get one free program.

DeadWoodDan
01-13-2016, 07:56 PM
Get in the 1000club and the discounts are even better

country gent
01-13-2016, 08:16 PM
I have 3 brass moulds from Old West moulds and they cast like a dream for me Hold heat and stay at temp easily. You can run at a slower pace and maintain good bullets. When taking a small break or fluxing adding metal to pot they seem to stay hot. The draw back is wen done it takes forever for them to cool down to be put away. LOL My moulds are 2 cavity 40 cal 400 grn andd 45 cal 547 grns and a single cavity 40 cal 400 grn. These brass blocks cast really good bullets easily ( they may require a little break in time though), and are heavier than aluminum or steel blocks.

RogerDat
01-13-2016, 08:33 PM
The .360 molds for 38/357 on sale had me struggling for a bit, have been thinking of a HP & FP mold for awhile. Want it to be an NOE mold. There it was... Just can't swing it this month. :-(