PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using a NOE brass 358-128 4-cav plain base mould?

Tarkid
01-13-2016, 05:40 PM
Anybody out there used NOE brass moulds? I'm in need of a 9mm mould to replace the Lyman steel 122 gr conical 9mm mould I've been using for the past 30 years. I'm sick of dropping two at a time, with only one being useable much of the time! A couple years ago I bought my first brass mould, a 45 acp 4-cav on one of the MiHec group buys. I really like that mould and I signed up for a 9mm one that is going right now, but I don't want to wait months. I shoot more 9mm than anything else and I don't want to heat up that Lyman again!

I've been looking at the NOE "358-128-SWC-1 4 cavity PB Brass" mould and am hoping one of you actually have it and might be able to tell me how you like it. I've never used or even seen a NOE mould in person so if anybody has an opinion on their brass moulds in general, that would be welcome too.

One thing I really like about the MiHec mould is the thick sprue plate. It must be nearly 1/4" thick. This completely prevents air being sucked into the base of the boolit as it cools, leaving a cavity in the base. This is a huge problem with my Lyman mould because of the thin sprue plate. I don't notice it on my other Lyman steel moulds, but the 9mm one is a real problem.

Any feedback is appreciated,

Tarkid

gwpercle
01-13-2016, 06:02 PM
I just received my first NOE mould, 4 cavity aluminum 9 mm, 358-124-TC GC , I had heard brass moulds were heavy, I cast with a Lyman ladle and open top pot. (not bottom pour)Pressure cast each cavity. I was surprised at how heavy the aluminum mould is, very glad I didn't order brass. I'm over 60, and weight of a mould has become an issue.
If you are young and strong, or use a bottom pour pot , go for the brass. If getting older...then the brass will be a heavy mould.
The NOE has a plenty thick steel plate, it may not be 1/4 inch but it's plenty stout.
The cavity/void in the base is usually caused by not leaving enough of a sprue puddle. Or opening the mould too soon . The aluminum mould sent me is a work of art, as soon as the weather warms I am going to try it out and expect good results.
Gary

reddog81
01-13-2016, 06:35 PM
I have 3 NOE Aluminium and 1 Brass mold all are 4 cavity. They are fairly large blocks of metal. My brass mold is a 4 cavity 240 grain 44 wadcutter mold and it is heavy but I don't find it too burdensome. I have a 135 grain 9mm AL mold and it takes a bit to heat up because the bullets are relatively small to the size of the mold. I would order a 5 cavity mold if buying another 9mm. I believe the 4 and 5 cavity molds block are the same size and I would think 5 bullets being dropped would heat the metal up faster.

NOE molds are good quality whether aluminium or brass. I actually ordered my first rifle mold yesterday and got a shipping notice today. NOE is the only mold brand I have bought new and I continue to purchase from them because of the reasonable prices and good quality product.

Fluxed
01-13-2016, 08:54 PM
I started the design and buy on the mold you describe. My 4 cavity brass mold of that bullet casts great. Go ahead and buy it.

Tarkid
01-13-2016, 10:36 PM
Fluxed, thanks for the report, I'll order one up and give it a try.
Gwpercle, ya, the problem with a thin little sprue plate is it's very difficult to get the sprue thick enough before the boolit sucks air. As I originally posted, this is the only mould I have this problem with. I have eight Lyman two cavity steel moulds, all but the 9mm designed for gas checks. 9mm, 357, several 30 cal rifle, and 44, two aluminum, and the one MiHec brass. Never had a problem with boolits sucking air except this 9mm mould block. Given it's the round I shoot the most of, regularly, I'm just walking away from it. I mean when I fill that mould 10 times and average around 12-14 useable boolits, it gets my blood pressure up every time I use it. It takes well over an hour to drop 100 boolits, whereas my 45 brass 4 cav mould will drop 500 in around 2.5 hours and it's rare one goes back in the lead pot.

Anyway, thanks for the responses guys!

Elkins45
01-15-2016, 08:02 AM
I just bought the Al 5 cavity mold of that bullet. I wanted to try it as a 357 Sig bullet because of the long straight sides. I have loaded up a few but haven't had the opportunity to test them yet.

The mold casts beautifully, which is par for the course with NOE molds.