PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum...Where to Begin

Brentona
01-13-2016, 06:43 AM
I am sure this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I will hazard the question any how. Can someone point me in the direction of a thread here to outline some basics or better yet a book to buy?
I am coming into 40lbs of lead from a friend and I have decided to start rolling my own.
A little back ground about myself. I am 24 and a first generation gun nut in my family. I am into all things shooting and shooting sports related. I am very interested in the NOE Elco bullet and mould to begin with and was reading the thread associated with it.
So yes, perhaps a thread to begin with and hopefully a book I can buy that can teach me what I need to know about beginning my casting life. Thank you so much.

-Brent

Sensai
01-13-2016, 07:15 AM
First off - WELCOME !!!:lovebooli

To answer your question, it would be hard to beat Lyman's "Cast Bullet Handbook" for an introduction and reference for beginning casters. You will quickly find that the information can be overwhelming, but you need to concentrate on the basics first. As with most things, without a firm foundation you can become lost in the minutia. The wonderful thing about casting boolits is that your failures can become masterpieces with a little application of heat. I've only been doing this since the early '60s, so I'm still learning. THINK SAFETY !! This site is slam full of very knowledgeable people who, for the most part, are more than willing to help you out. Don't be afraid to ask if you're not able to find something through the search engine, but do try first. Most anything that you have a question about has been asked before. Again, welcome !!

MrWolf
01-13-2016, 07:35 AM
Aye welcome to the madness! Your best bet is to read the stickies and keep reading. As Sensai stated, get a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (off the top of my head it is the 4th edition) and even the 3rd if you can find one. Take your time and learn to slug a barrel, to smelt your lead in a seperate pot from your casting pot, etc.. Great info here. Good luck.

GhostHawk
01-13-2016, 08:47 AM
Welcome and I suggest you pace yourself. Easy enough here to sprain your brain reading stickies.

There is a wealth of information here, settle in, plan on a couple years to hit the high points.

Wayne Smith
01-13-2016, 08:55 AM
Welcome. You did not say if you are already reloading. If you are good. If not that needs to come first. I do not recommend climbing two learning curves at the same time, at best it can be confusing.

If you are not already reloading you need to be in order to use the boolits you cast. Shoot, save your brass, invest in reloading equipment and supplies, get a couple of reloading manuals (Lyman 49 as a start) and learn the process and safety of reloading first.

Post your location. There may be one of us within reach who can mentor you and get you started. That is better than learning it all remotely, but most of us did that and before the internet, too.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-13-2016, 08:56 AM
Besides the Lyman cast bullet handbook 4th ed
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/867465/lyman-cast-bullet-handbook-4th-edition-book
it's pretty much "thee" book ...and has exhaustive castboolit loading data

Do not overlook this link, also found at the bottom of castboolits page.
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

regarding the Elco boolit, search using the full description, I'm sure there'll be plenty to read, I'm short on time this morning, otherwise I would have given that a go for you.

Good luck and welcome to the site
Jon

StuBach
01-13-2016, 09:00 AM
As a fellow new member (year into the insanity that is casting) I wanted to welcome you also.

Lots of info to be found across this site. Starting with a good casting manual is key as mentioned above. When I started last year I had done some casting with family in the past but didn't do my homework before starting on my own and the tinsel fairy (I believe that's what they call it here) almost created a hospital trip. Luckily only a few small spots of lead in my beard and ruined my fairly new fleece I was wearing which is now worn every time I cast as a reminder of safety.

After the the casting manual I would also recommend an interesting read in "From Ingot to Target" by Glen Fryxell and Robert ApplegateGlen which I found to be a good read but I'm sure the more experienced guys have a better idea on how valuable the info contained is. Nice thing about that book is there are PDF versions for download and can be read on a phone or tablet as time allows and at no charge.

Hickok
01-13-2016, 09:03 AM
Hello and welcome. And yes, when you have a question, don't be shy in asking. Let us know what caliber, brand of gun, alloy your using etc. It all matters when finding a good load.

Above all, Safety First! Paramount and MOST important, EYE PROTECTION, EYE PROTECTION, EYE PROTECTION! Safety glasses at all times when casting.

Then comes gloves, and proper clothing. Molten alloy can give you a permanent tattoo you will never forget, or want!

Just saw Stu's post, good advice!

rush1886
01-13-2016, 09:14 AM
Welcome brent.fox! Between the Lyman Handbook, and all of the "stickies" here, you'll have plenty to digest. Brain sprain is real.

First and foremost---think of all the $$$ you'll be saving! Yuk,yuk,yuk,yuk.............!

C. Latch
01-13-2016, 09:18 AM
Get that Lyman manual and read it completely.

Thumbcocker
01-13-2016, 10:18 AM
Also you might find someone close to you that would let you watch and maybe cast a few. A little mentoring with some hands on experience would be very helpful.

dverna
01-13-2016, 10:20 AM
Good advice above. One more thing.....start "easy". Something like a .38 Spl or .45 ACP Is easier than 9mm or .40 S&W. If you must start with a rifle, keep velocities low.

Do do not load 100's of rounds when starting out. If the load leads or shoots poorly it is a pain to pull them apart.

I started over 40 years ago and still know nothing compared to some of the people on this forum.

Don

bangerjim
01-13-2016, 10:43 AM
Welcome.

Always...........ALWAYS be on the look-out for more lead and alloys. 40# is one good casting session for me! You will go thru that with just a few range trips. So always be on the lookout.

Post you location, calibers, etc so we can help you.

Read the www.lasc.us (http://www.lasc.us) stuff. Very educational. I refer to it all the time.

Get the books mentioned and read....read....read on here. This is the best site to learn about casting and loading. You came to the right place.

Nice thing about lead boolit mistakes............they re-melt!!!!

bangerjim

osteodoc08
01-13-2016, 10:57 AM
Welcome.

In addition to the above, may I suggest you post up the general area where you live (or plan on doing the casting) as we have many members here willing to offer a helping hand and sometimes real world experience is the most valuable tool when starting off.

As always, safety first.

And again, welcome to the madness.

44man
01-13-2016, 11:03 AM
The madness has started! :kidding:
One fellow here has cast 200# at one sitting and my mental picture is of him on his back, kicking his legs in the air. Some white stuff foaming! :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:
I start to count at about 50 boolits.
But welcome to it. Lot of stuff to study of course and more experience here then anywhere.
You need to spend some but who can beat a dime a shot that works? The best thing is things pay for themselves with time.
All you need do is ask anything.

Brentona
01-13-2016, 11:13 AM
Thank you everyone for the kind words of welcome and terrific suggestions. I will update my on screen info but in the mean time I am located in Harford County, Maryland. I would like To begin with 9mm for the fact that I just bought my first modern pistol. My others are in 9x18. Rifle will come later and that will be 45/70. I purchased a glock 19 and am looking into KKM barrels as recommended in numerous threads.
I will pick those books up in the next week or so for sure. And begin reading. What I want to do first is just learn to smelt and flux properly to take that 40# and put it into ingots. Later make the bullets, and beyond that maybe this summer or mid spring load them and test. Time is a valuable thing as I am in my last year of my electrical apprenticeship and work full time and manage home life as well.
It would be terrific to learn hands on and I pick things up pretty quickly.
Again Thank you so much

-Brent

Kraschenbirn
01-13-2016, 11:33 AM
Welcome aboard...drag up a rock and make yourself at home. I can't really add much to what's already been posted; Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (IMO) is MUST HAVE for anyone beginning to cast and shoot his/her own. Other volumes that come immediately to mind are Col. E.H. Harris' "Cast Bullets" from NRA Press - a lot of good technical information - and Ken Waters' "Pet Handloads" which includes his cast-boolit loads for almost all pre-2000 commercial cartridges. As for actual casting techniques; SAFETY trumps everything else. If you're unsure about something in your technique or equipment, don't hesitate to ASK...you've (literally!) got several thousand years of accumulated casting/reloading experience to draw from and if, collectively, we haven't committed all the possible errors, we've certainly covered 99%+.

Bill

Taylor
01-13-2016, 11:46 AM
Yep,pull up a stump and have seat by the fire. Without this forum I would be lost as last years Easter egg. Good people here,lots of info for you too.

StuBach
01-13-2016, 01:48 PM
Not sure if this has been done before but something I wish I had done had I known about this resource a year ago.

Use this forum to chronicle your fall into this insanity. As new posts pop up each day members will undoubtedly offer advice on corrections and next steps. If it goes how I imagine it could it would make for one hell of a beginners guide for those coming after you. Pictures also say 1M words. Just a thought though.

Also, another note I didn't see above. After you read, when you start looking for equipment watch the buying/selling/trading threads and if you are interested in a bullet/mold design ask those who already have it. I for one am more than happy to send along a small sample of any of my mold drops so someone else can evaluate if it's right for them. Helps you avoid buyers regret until you are in the enviable position some of our members are in where they have 50+ molds.

fredj338
01-13-2016, 02:14 PM
Another welcome to a great hobby. I enjoy casting more than reloading & cast for all my handgun rounds & a couple rifles. As note, Lyman Cast Bullet is the read to get started. Then sights like this as LASC are where you can fine tune. Start hunting alloy now. It is getting harder to find cheap, much less free. As banger notes, 40# is a medium casting session, about 1400 45/200gr. Ingots are the easy part so I wouldn't get all worked up just yet.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-13-2016, 02:19 PM
Thank you everyone for the kind words of welcome and terrific suggestions. I will update my on screen info but in the mean time I am located in Harford County, Maryland. I would like To begin with 9mm for the fact that I just bought my first modern pistol. My others are in 9x18. Rifle will come later and that will be 45/70. I purchased a glock 19 and am looking into KKM barrels as recommended in numerous threads.
I will pick those books up in the next week or so for sure. And begin reading. What I want to do first is just learn to smelt and flux properly to take that 40# and put it into ingots. Later make the bullets, and beyond that maybe this summer or mid spring load them and test. Time is a valuable thing as I am in my last year of my electrical apprenticeship and work full time and manage home life as well.
It would be terrific to learn hands on and I pick things up pretty quickly.
Again Thank you so much

-Brent
Brent,
Loading cast for 9mm Luger can be more challenging then let's say 38 spl or 45acp. Because 9mm luger is a high pressure round and 38 spl and 45 acp are low pressure rounds. BUT don't let that hold you back any, here is a excellent post put together for anyone starting with the 9.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?121607-Setting-up-for-boolits-in-a-new-9mm

Wayne Smith
01-13-2016, 04:26 PM
You have the 9Maks - start with them. They take a .364-365 boolit. Your 9mm Parabellum will take a .357-.358 boolit. Molds are not interchangable. Ammo for the 9x19 is almost as cheap as reloading - so start with the 9x18, a lower pressure round. I load for it, got a mold from Mihec years ago, and am carrying one as I type this. I cut down 9x19 cases with a Lee trim set. You don't use much powder, so primers are your primary expense once you start casting. You can pick up 9x19 brass at most any range for the asking, or bending over and picking it up.

In the meantime read the link above. You will learn a lot, and begin to understand some of the pitfalls of high pressure rounds. Weather or not you decide to cast for it is up to you. There is nothing wrong with loading condoms (bullets).

Once you get the 45-70 you get into a lot of fun. I have molds for it from the Collar Button to the 457125(520gr.). My favorite is the 457122 Gould HP.

gwpercle
01-13-2016, 06:35 PM
Welcome to the addiction Brent,
A lot of great info in all the stickies at the start of each heading. Scroll through them and read the ones that are of interest.
The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, #4 and the older #3 are my most used , The #3 taught me all I knew B.C. (before computers). No one I knew cast boolits or reloaded, it was my only cast guide and has done me well. Get one or both if you can.
Gary

jimb16
01-13-2016, 06:52 PM
Welcome to the art of Alchemy. The more you learn, the more you will realize that you don't know. I've been at this for more than 40 years and some days I still feel like a beginner. You will enjoy the challenge.

Wolfer
01-13-2016, 07:21 PM
I'll add a welcome but doubt I can add much more that hasn't already been said.

Its a lot easer to start with the bottom end loads with the fastest powder to begin with. I'm a journeyman electrician and the guys at work will talk about the cost of ammo. My 30-06 rds cost 12 cents apiece, my 45 colt 6 cents.
I shoot most of my boolits into a half barrel of sand and seine them out and re melt them. My only cost is powder and primers.

StuBach
01-13-2016, 09:15 PM
That's a great cost savings idea Wolfer, wish I had that option. Maybe my range will let me put something up to that effect.

Brentona
01-13-2016, 09:51 PM
I'll add a welcome but doubt I can add much more that hasn't already been said.

Its a lot easer to start with the bottom end loads with the fastest powder to begin with. I'm a journeyman electrician and the guys at work will talk about the cost of ammo. My 30-06 rds cost 12 cents apiece, my 45 colt 6 cents.
I shoot most of my boolits into a half barrel of sand and seine them out and re melt them. My only cost is powder and primers.
That's terrific! I love the sound of that! A fellow sparky huh?

Brentona
01-13-2016, 09:53 PM
Welcome to the addiction Brent,
A lot of great info in all the stickies at the start of each heading. Scroll through them and read the ones that are of interest.
The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, #4 and the older #3 are my most used , The #3 taught me all I knew B.C. (before computers). No one I knew cast boolits or reloaded, it was my only cast guide and has done me well. Get one or both if you can.
Gary
Thank you for the recommendations I'll be sure to scoop up both and start reading

Wolfer
01-13-2016, 10:49 PM
Lots of sparkys on this site. We may be thrifty( the little woman says cheap) but at least we know where to go to find out what we don't know.

Many years ago my FIL gave me some good advice.
Theres only two things you have to know.
1- You have to know when you don't know. We often think we know but really don't.
2- You have to know where to go to find out what you need to know.

I could be wrong about this. I often am!

Brentona
01-14-2016, 06:56 AM
What's the general consensus on the Lyman master casting kit? Comes with 4th edition book and what looks like what I need to get started! Thoughts??

StuBach
01-14-2016, 07:26 AM
The one on Amazon that includes the Lyman 4500 lube resizer looks like a great starting kit and at that price it's a good deal. The 4500 alone is normally that price, read description and top kit doesn't show the 4500 but description has it included. For that $206 seems like a steal to me.

I will let more experienced operators speak to bottom pour vs dipping.

Wayne Smith
01-14-2016, 09:58 AM
If that's a valid price jump on it. Sounds like a mistake to me, but they are bound to honor what they post until they pull it down.

44man
01-14-2016, 10:08 AM
Thank you everyone for the kind words of welcome and terrific suggestions. I will update my on screen info but in the mean time I am located in Harford County,
Where is that? I am in Harpers Ferry and could take you under a wing to show you. I don't know how far you are.

Brentona
01-14-2016, 11:10 AM
Thank you everyone for the kind words of welcome and terrific suggestions. I will update my on screen info but in the mean time I am located in Harford County,
Where is that? I am in Harpers Ferry and could take you under a wing to show you. I don't know how far you are.
Wow that would be terrific! Harper's Ferry wv is about 3 hours or so from me. That's not bad at all for a day thing. I am about 30-40 minutes north east of Baltimore

44man
01-14-2016, 11:40 AM
Wow that would be terrific! Harper's Ferry wv is about 3 hours or so from me. That's not bad at all for a day thing. I am about 30-40 minutes north east of Baltimore
You are far for sure but more then welcome. PM me for my address and you can google my house.
I will do all I can for you. We can shoot too, I have my own range.

Brentona
01-14-2016, 12:17 PM
You are far for sure but more then welcome. PM me for my address and you can google my house.
I will do all I can for you. We can shoot too, I have my own range.
Awesome! I'll send you a pm when I get off work. This is all future planning right now. I could see me getting all my gear by mid February. Really thank you

Landshark9025
01-16-2016, 12:03 AM
You just asked a question about where you could find sticky threads and if there are any books you can buy? You probably made friends with half the board here just by doing that!

Highly recommended learning to reload first. You are going to need all that equipment.... single stage press, good scale, calipers, etc. anyway and $70 or so for 1,000 plated bullets is a good investment to get the feel of working up loads, seeing what different powders or charge weights do. Plus a couple thousand rounds downrange is good practice so when you test yours you'll have a better idea of if it was load you made or you just pulled that one.

Be sure to take notes of everything you do. Whether in journals or electronic format that is backed up.

What you are learning in your electrician's apprentice program applies here. Each time you do something and get a result, try to learn "why" you got the result you did. Not just "what happened ".

Welcome. Be patient and safe and you will have fun for decades. And yes, 40 pounds is "seed lead". :-)

birch
01-16-2016, 12:11 AM
Buy a Lee single stage press kit and a Frankford arsenal digital scale. Get confident on how to set up your dies and familiar enough to no longer worry about blowing yourself up then start casting.

***dont get to carried away with learning everything before you get started. Dont slug your barrel until you need to. Start with a straight wall low pressure case like the .38 special and if you get poor accuracy start narrowing down the problems. You won't learn anything until you actually have a problem to solve.

Brentona
01-16-2016, 12:16 PM
Buy a Lee single stage press kit and a Frankford arsenal digital scale. Get confident on how to set up your dies and familiar enough to no longer worry about blowing yourself up then start casting.

***dont get to carried away with learning everything before you get started. Dont slug your barrel until you need to. Start with a straight wall low pressure case like the .38 special and if you get poor accuracy start narrowing down the problems. You won't learn anything until you actually have a problem to solve.
All terrific advice! I need to invest in some starter gear. All this right now is my rail road tracks to success. I have been heeding the advice of many here and reading reading reading. What I'd like to do is start just by making ingots and learning to turn them to bullets. The loading of those casts wouldnt come until I am comfortable with loading made bullets.

I don't have any low pressure chambered pistols, I own a handful of 9x18 and a single 9mm. I want to load heavy 9mm and clock them around 950 fps. Is that too much of a learning curve to start with??

-Brent

Wayne Smith
01-17-2016, 02:51 PM
Like I said previously, start with the Maks (9x18) and learn on them. I learned on a 30-30 (my Dad's) for reloading, a Black Powder Cartridge rifle for cast, and then the 38Special. Since you own "a handful" I assume you shoot them? You have brass, or you can cut down 9x19 and load that. Get a press (Lee Cast Iron for example) and a set of 9x18 dies and learn how to load for it. You will want a pistol powder measure, a powder scale, and components. You can prime on the press for starting - I have pretty much gone back to that now. You will be using small charges of powder so you won't want to measure every one of them, thus the Pistol Powder Measure. Powder depends on what is available to you but you can't go wrong with Bullseye. Small pistol primers and bullets and you are good to go. Multiple things can be used to lube cases but with that short a case frequently no lube is necessary - or a little hand creme will do.

The 9x18 is not a hugely pressured cartridge - it is a blowback pistol design, after all. It's when you get into locked breach designs that pressures can go up.

Brentona
01-18-2016, 05:25 AM
Like I said previously, start with the Maks (9x18) and learn on them. I learned on a 30-30 (my Dad's) for reloading, a Black Powder Cartridge rifle for cast, and then the 38Special. Since you own "a handful" I assume you shoot them? You have brass, or you can cut down 9x19 and load that. Get a press (Lee Cast Iron for example) and a set of 9x18 dies and learn how to load for it. You will want a pistol powder measure, a powder scale, and components. You can prime on the press for starting - I have pretty much gone back to that now. You will be using small charges of powder so you won't want to measure every one of them, thus the Pistol Powder Measure. Powder depends on what is available to you but you can't go wrong with Bullseye. Small pistol primers and bullets and you are good to go. Multiple things can be used to lube cases but with that short a case frequently no lube is necessary - or a little hand creme will do.

The 9x18 is not a hugely pressured cartridge - it is a blowback pistol design, after all. It's when you get into locked breach designs that pressures can go up.
Excellent advice! Thank you!

William Yanda
01-18-2016, 09:51 AM
WELCOME!
I suggest that you start by getting a comfortable chair for wherever you access your computer. Then spend several evenings reviewing the various forums and hundreds of threads available here. Fascinating reading. Yes there are contradictory opinions-you can make up your own mind. Everyone has to start somewhere and learning from the experience of others is the mark of a wise man.
You can learn how to evaluate the lead your friend provides and then how to process it and even how to best utilize it.
Bill

Doggonekid
01-18-2016, 11:27 PM
Right now that 40 LBS of lead sounds like a lot. When I fire up my pot I cast around 40 LBS each casting. Welcome aboard by the way. The above mentioned books are a must for your library. But experience is the best teacher. Learn from your own experience. There are many lifetimes of experience on this form from a lot of masters of the cast. Good luck and have fun. My best advice is NOT to think of all of the money you will be saving with this obsession.

Wayne Smith
01-19-2016, 08:51 AM
My wife is a true financial genius. When she found out how much ammo cost and saw how much I have she encouraged me to continue to cast and load. Oh, btw, she is also a senior geologist for the Commonwealth of Virginia and works for the Department of Environmental Quality!