PDA

View Full Version : I have no luck

Frank46
10-16-2005, 03:26 AM
Well it seems my luck regarding purchasing guns over the net is running true to form. You may recall the saga of my 9.3x57 husqvarna 98 mauser. Well I'm here to tell you that murphy has not left the building. I picked up from my dealer a remington 141 in 35 rem caliber. Really nice blue with few flecks of rust and an almost mint bore. Sounds good don't it??. Clean the bbl and it really looks great. Pumping the slide back was a real bear though. Ok since its a takedown just loosen the takedown screw and separate the receiver from the frame. Piece of cake, yeah right.The two pieces would not slide apart. Sqirted some breakfree in there. Still no good. I did have oil weeping from the frame receiver joints so I know its there. And now I know why the internal section of the receiver was so dirty, the last guy couldn't get it apart
either. And this thing came with a lyman rear tang sight thats in really nice shape. Swabbed out the interior and will probably send it back early this week. As a matter of fact the bolt did get jammed in the rear position and the only thing that released it was removing the takedown screw and gingerly twisting the receiver-frame halves. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGHHHHHH!!!!!.
Frank

Char-Gar
10-16-2005, 06:28 AM
It is not a good idea to take the old Remington pump guns apart on a regular basis. Take this "take down" thing with a grain of salt. After a time, these well mated parts will develop some play and accuracy will do down hill. I have had several of them and clean them from the muzzle with muzzle bore guard.

If it were my rifle, I would get some spray carburator cleaner and with the little plastic nozzle, blast out as much crud as I could from the receiver. If it probably full of old oil that has turned to varnish.

I would them blow as much of the carburator cleaner out as I could with compressed air. If you don't have an air compressor, you can buy little cans of the stuff from places that sell photo darkroom supplies.

I would then run some Breakfree into the action to lube it. I would bet with 99% certainity that will take care of your problem.

If you really MUST take it apart to make your life complete, then run some Kroil into the action and let it sit for a day or so. Get a rawhide mallet (Brownells sells such wonderful gizmos) and tap on the joint of the action. It will come apart.

I don't think you have bad luck..this is just the kind of stuff that goes with buying and enjoying vintage rifles. Just part of the drill. Not a big thing!

Bret4207
10-16-2005, 09:04 AM
You might also take SWMBO blow dryer, set it on high and warm the action up to the too hot to hold comfortably stage. Works on some stuff for me.

Frank46
10-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Chargar, thats precisely whay I wanted to take it down. The inside of the receiver is covered with some unidentifiable muck which looks like dried up lubricant, powder fouling and who knows what else. I did squirt some breakfree in there and it seems to have helped but not knowing what else is in ther bothers me. The bolt did get stuck as previously mentioned. And when racking back the slide heavy resistance is felt, not what one would want for fast follow up shots. I know I'm recocking the trigger when doing so. But I can't help feel that if I clean out the receiver and trigger group that it will operate much easier. After all the basic design is quite similar to whats on an 870 pump shotgun. I have taken a few of those apart for friends and the amount of junk inside was truly amazing. Twigs, small rocks, dirt, old grease,and powder fouling. And when cleaned up operated nicely.

Bret4207
10-16-2005, 07:20 PM
PB Blaster is made jsut for penetrating and "melting" hardened greases and oils, Available at Wally World, auto parts stores.

Frank46
10-18-2005, 01:29 AM
The 141 saga continues. Called the dealer and he'll take the gun back and refund my money. I gather from our conversation that he's been having problems with the other 141's that he had for sale. Shame too, as it was in really nice shape. Murphy go home!.
Frank

slughammer
10-18-2005, 06:43 PM
WD 40 also makes an excellent "solvent" for cleaning out actions without the harshness of carb cleaner.

Try that or remove the wood and dunk the action into boiling water. Whatever has found its way in there, can find its way out.

My 1989 vintage 7600 got the action all gummed up a few years ago. WD 40 cleaned it right up and then I used some real oil for lubricity and protection.