PDA

View Full Version : Storm lake for glock 17 9mm lead boolits

kryogen
01-12-2016, 03:22 PM
Does anyone use that barrel successfully?
I've read that the throats were too large now for cast bullets and that it caused leading.
Can anyone say anything about this?

Thanks

Catshooter
01-13-2016, 02:46 AM
My Storm Lake in my 26 doesn't lead. But then neither do any of my Glock barrels. Not once I found what they needed.

Cat

hermans
01-13-2016, 07:18 AM
I cannot comment on a Storm Lake barrel for Glock, but having two 1911's with Storm Lake barrels, and shooting cast boolits exclusively with no leading, all I can say is that they make top class barrels, and I would purchase from them again should I need another barrel.

Victor N TN
01-13-2016, 10:15 AM
Back when their operation was near me, I went by to talk to the man. After seeing their operation AT THE TIME, I really wasn't impressed. So I've never shot one. That was probably just after they got started. Maybe they have improved since then. I don't know.

Vann
01-13-2016, 10:35 AM
Like posted above. I have a Lone Wolf barrel for my G17, but it's not needed. I've never had any leading in my second generation Glock.

The reason I bought the lone Wolf barrel was for accuracy, and I really don't see that much difference between the two.

I'm going to try a KKM or Bar Sto next.

If you want to shoot cast out of your stock barrel, just pull it out every 50 rounds or so to check for leading. After a while you'll know if it will work or not.

If you still want to buy a new barrel, I've never had a problem with the Lone Wolf barrel. I picked mine up for 60.00 as a used barrel, but I don't think that it was ever installed in a gun.

They are selling on ebay new for under 100.00.

kryogen
01-13-2016, 09:25 PM
what alloy do you use ?

Echd
01-13-2016, 09:35 PM
I have a Storm Lake I use in my G35, and it has never given me issues. That's in 40, but there's at least a vote of confidence for the maker.

You may need to roll size your brass if it is glock fired. I definitely have to run my 40 brass through a bulge buster if it has come out of a stock glock barrel.

Vann
01-13-2016, 11:28 PM
5/1 lead/lino water dropped, they come out pretty hard.

kryogen
01-14-2016, 08:14 AM
Wheelweight only seems to fail in 9mm for me so far with the oem barrel.

Vann
01-14-2016, 01:28 PM
I bought my Glock when I was 16, I'm 39 now. To say that the factory barrel has had a few thousand jacketed bullets would be an understatement. I used it for various types of competition ever since I bought it. So the bore is very well polished.

I started shooting steel challenge with it last year using the Lone wolf barrel and that 5 to 1 alloy, sized to .358 with RCBS 50/50 lube. I've since switched to powder coat and haven't had a problem with leading using either. Out of either Barrel

The last batch I cast up is straight ww with powder coat and so far after 3 matches and some practice, I haven't had a leading problem.

W.R.Buchanan
01-14-2016, 02:14 PM
On the contrary My G35's Storm Lake barrel was so unreliable I took it out and put it in the bottom of my shooting bag. I got sick of malfunctions on stages where you needed every shot to complete without a reload.

Mine had feeding problems. As far as leading? if the boolits are the right size that won't happen in a stock barrel.

Randy

Catshooter
01-15-2016, 01:35 AM
As far as leading? if the boolits are the right size that won't happen in a stock barrel.

Randy

I wish that was true. All my Glocks require a large boolit that is also water dropped. For example, my 19s won't accept any boolit larger than .359 and that will lead unless I harden it. This is with the stock barrels of course.

Cat

kryogen
01-15-2016, 08:53 AM
My 358 heat treated and with 2500+ still lead. Wheelweights only. Quality alloy would probably work, but it costs the same price as plated bullets here in canada so its kind of pointless.

W.R.Buchanan
01-15-2016, 02:33 PM
I have to confess I haven't shot any cast in my Glocks for a few years now. It is much easier to buy Plated Boolits. I haven't tried PC'd boolits but I bet they'd work too.

They eliminate all these problems.

Randy