PDA

View Full Version : Pistol sale to Californis resident

wch
01-11-2016, 09:28 PM
I want to sell a pistol to a resident of CA and want my local FFL to forward it to his FFL in CA.
Problem is that my FFL doesn't know the ropes as far as dealing with the regulations in CA.
Would anyone know what I have to do as the seller, what my FFL has to do as the forwarder, what the buyer's FFL and the CA DOJ are required to do and etc.

Thanks.

TreeKiller
01-11-2016, 10:17 PM
The first thing is the pistol one that is legal in this !!H@#$ state? Other than that have the FFL in CA contact your FFL.

opos
01-11-2016, 10:27 PM
If the gun is a single action revolver it's a piece of cake as single actions are exempt from most of the hooplaa...if a semi automatic it needs a bit more work...best deal is for the buyer in California to make certain the handgun is listed as "approved" for California...there is a California roster of approved handguns (google it just that way) and find the gun by maker, caliber, model, bbl length and all the other specs...if it's there the buyer can give you the California FFL information and what is needed...If the gun is not on the roster it can't come here and the buyer will be the one holding the bag...so he needs to make sure what he is doing....I buy and sell guns all the time from out of California and it's not a big deal...just a bit confusing the first time or two....some FFL's won' t ship here at all because they don't want to mess with the hassle...again have the buyer make absolutely sure the gun is approved and if it's not exactly listed don't try and skirt it....won't work.

Duckiller
01-11-2016, 11:48 PM
Also your FFL has to prove to our DOJ that he has a FFL. I believe itcost about $5.00. Contact the Cal DOJ on what is required of him. This was the run about 5-6 years ago. It may have changed. Cal DOJ is anti-gun but they will help an out of state FFL deal with Cal laws.

wch
01-12-2016, 06:24 AM
The pistol is an original German Army Artillery Luger and I don't see it on the list.

Duckiller
01-12-2016, 04:35 PM
Probably not legal to ship to a California resident via a FFL. I do not believe Cal has any provision for C&R for handguns.

scarry scarney
01-12-2016, 06:22 PM
I'm not a lawyer, nor expert (I have stayed at a Holiday Inn).

CA DOJ does have provisions for C&R pistols, but it has to be shipped to a CA FFL holder. The shipper still has to obtain approval to ship (it's free).

From the CA DOJ Website (http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/)"Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale

Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement."

See https://www.empirearms.com/cal-ffl.htm for more info on C&R's for CA

See https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcoverview for shipping info.

shooter93
01-12-2016, 08:12 PM
I have sold a few to Calif. residents.....I won't deny them their rights regardless of the hassle which isn't much really. What I did was have their FFL contact me with whatever paperwork etc. that was required and my FFL shipped them. Both were very helpful and the sales went through without a hitch. By doing it that way I was sure I complied with their mindless regulations.

Dutchman
01-13-2016, 04:02 AM
By doing it that way I was sure I complied with their mindless regulations.

T'is not mindless regulation, amigo. T'is a well planned strategy straight from Murphy's Law:

No. 3 Pencil Principle:
Make it sufficiently difficult for people to do something, and most people will stop doing it.

Dutch

CGT80
01-14-2016, 02:53 AM
If both parties were from the state of CA, then the pistol would not need to be on the roster and you could do a PPT. I assumed that the same could be done from an outside seller, if done through ffl's, but then again none of the laws of this state make sense. I do not know if the laws would be different if the seller was to bring the pistol into CA to do the transfer through an ffl. Right now, the only way non roster pistols come in (that I know of) is if a person moves here and already owns them. They can sell them ppt through an ffl.

The magazines would have to be blocked to 10 rounds before coming into CA, or it might be possible for the receiving ffl to block them, if they have the right licensing. Of course LEO's can purchase 10+ round mags and I believe they can also purchase off roster firearms. Only the peasants need to jump through the full set of hoops.

scarry scarney
01-14-2016, 12:24 PM
but, but, but, it's for the children

wch
01-14-2016, 01:36 PM
So, I spoke with the prospective purchaser and he told me that though there's no provision in CA for C&R sales an FFL dealer can accept a pistol not on the approved list if it is a curio or relic.
I checked with my FFL dealer and he had a copy of the faxed CA FFL which means that I'm able to send the pistol out there.

opos
01-14-2016, 03:47 PM
Interesting....hope it works out for you..get the money before you ship.

Duckiller
01-21-2016, 06:37 PM
Talked with my FFL. Buyer needs and C & R or it has to be face to face. If shipped to a Cal FFL it must be on the DOJ approved list for him to transfer to a buyer. Lots of gun =s have dropped off the list and manufacturers are not putting them back on the list. If the buyer has a C&R then he can get it from an FFL otherwise it must be face to face ie private party or on the list.

Duckiller
01-22-2016, 09:31 PM
Talked to a more knowledgeable person at local dealer. If a gun was made more than 50 years ago it doesn't need to be on a list and a Cal FFL can DROS it. Gun being sold had to have been made more than 50 years ago. Any gun made prior to 1966 can be sold in Cal as I now understand the rules. Good luck with your sale.