PDA

View Full Version : ALOX for case lube?

hollywood63
01-11-2016, 09:20 PM
Just thinking out loud and was sitting here pondering all the alox I have that came with sizing dies. Has anyone ever made a recipe to use it for lubing cases lightly like a squirt of one shot? Was thinking maybe some alcohol and a small amount of alox?

GhostHawk
01-11-2016, 10:17 PM
I have used Ben's Liquid Lube for this and it worked fine. Slightly messy to clean off but a citric acid wash cleaned them up fine. Nowdays I deprime, citric acid wash, use a variant of Grumpa's lanolin vasoline case lube, I need a lot less, and a 15 min trip in the tumbler with corncob and walnut hull leaves loaded rounds clean and shiny.

But yes it will work and it won't take a lot of alox.

bangerjim
01-11-2016, 11:38 PM
My experience with Mule Snot was that it is very sticky and never totally dries. It would be a total mess to get off cases. More trouble than it is worth. I poured out 5 bottles of it in the garbage, as I powder coat everything and only need the sizing dies.

Just get a little tub of Hornady Unique Case Lube, dab your finger in it, swipe on, and you are good to go. You can wipe it off, but I never do. It smells good too! I think it is lanolin based. I have had a tub of it for 3+ years now and have lubed thousands of cases with it and it is only 1/4 down. And it is dirt cheap around here.

Outpost75
01-12-2016, 12:22 AM
Best case lube for reforming is Forster case lube. Or Alberto VO5 hair dressing if your wife has any.

FLHTC
01-12-2016, 09:02 AM
I'm sure that alox would gum up your size die so I would advise against it. I have used STP oil treatment and Slick 50. Both work equally well and as good or better than what RCBS or Lyman sells

hollywood63
01-12-2016, 11:12 AM
Thanks just was thinking

vzerone
01-12-2016, 01:18 PM
I've used a lot of case lubes over the years and have settled on Imperial Wax. I even make my own.

big bore 99
01-12-2016, 02:01 PM
Sounds like a sticky dirty mess to me. My case lube works just fine.

salpal48
01-12-2016, 05:29 PM
The old ALox in stick Form works Very well In Case sizing and Case forming as Long as It is applied sparingly . It not only smells good is a Great Lube to prevent Binding
It wipes off clean or will tumble off.
I have used it On & off for years. At one time I had so much of it . I had to use it Up.
Now I use a product called PANIF Lube -A-Stick. pure silicone stick

GONRA
01-27-2016, 04:14 PM
GONRA likes STP Oil Treatment (Auto Parts Stores).
If you have problems sizing, try this to make sure you aren't using a crummy lube
before blaming the dies. (Admit it may be too mesy for some....)

Tri-Flow Synthetic Grease (Bike Shops) is really good too. 3 ounce tube does 1200 .50 BMG scrap dealer brass.

FLHTC
01-27-2016, 04:35 PM
GONRA likes STP Oil Treatment (Auto Parts Stores).
If you have problems sizing, try this to make sure you aren't using a crummy lube
before blaming the dies. (Admit it may be too mesy for some....)

Tri-Flow Synthetic Grease (Bike Shops) is really good too. 3 ounce tube does 1200 .50 BMG scrap dealer brass.

Is that like PJ1??

Don Fischer
01-28-2016, 02:13 AM
I have used STP years ago. Great case lube but messy and you need to clean it off. With One Shot around I' don't know why anyone would bother with anything else. I've got some Dillon lube. Tried it one time and that was enough, maybe I used it wrong. Nice thing about one shot is you can't use it wrong. All that other stuff is not going to work better than One Shot but maybe almost as good. I've never tried Imperial sizing wax but have the Hornady wax. Not as good as One Shot but on a q-tip it's great for lubing inside the neck. Put that stuff on your finger's then on a case sooner or later your gonna have to wash your finger's.

GONRA
01-29-2016, 06:44 PM
Apparently PJ1 is a"cable lube"?
GONRA's pretty sure when you guys purchase expensive tiny cans of case sizing lube,
its mostly repacked Drawing Die Lube. (Nothing wrong with that! Just the jackedup price.)

STP Oil Treatment IS messy - so some (many) won't like it.
But, when all else fails, tryit to help diagnose "wots goin' on".

For shootin' weird retarded blowback semiautos in my reference collection (think FAMAS)
a microscopic coating of lube on the cartridge case is NOT a problem!

FLHTC
01-29-2016, 06:49 PM
PJ1 is chain and cable lube but it's good stuff. It was popular before belt drive motorcycles appeared. It was a big sponsor for dirt and road races. At 150 mph, you need your chain lube to stay put and not fly off.