PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 44 mag problem

Ed Barrett
10-16-2005, 01:31 AM
I'm trying to load some cast loads for a Ruger deerfield semi-auto that will work the action reliably. A friend wants enough loads to sight in and practice before deer season. I tried some 200 grain cast loads I had for revolver, single shot, and lever action use which are very accurate, but they don't work the Ruger all the time. Any one got any starting points?

Char-Gar
10-16-2005, 06:40 AM
I recall reading an article many years ago stating these Ruger 44 Mag. autoloaders were not compatible with cast bullets. I have no experience with them so I really can't say. But in general I would say;

If this is a gas operated rifle, stick to gas check bullets. Plain base bullets can clog up the gas port in short order.

I would stick with a powder like 2400 or AA9 and a 240 - 250 grain bullet and keep the velocity at factory levels. If it is going to work with cast bullets, this should do it.

Blackwater
10-28-2005, 12:57 AM
Ed, this probably won't be much help, but many years ago I loaded some Saeco Keith bullets (263 gr. in WW's) for a friend's Ruger Deerstalker .44, and they didn't do very well. Groups were more patterns, and I suspect the gun had an oversize bore, though that's just a guess. As above, I'd recommend full power levels with slower powders, since autos tend to have the gas port regulated for factory levels, and the .44's are mainly full power, so your loads should match. My load with the above Saeco/Keith was 22 gr. of the old 2400 and a CCI std. primer.

One strange thing about the older Deerstalker was how you could actually hear the action cycling through cheek contact with the buttstock, and I'm not sure what this means, but that cycling sound was somewhat slower with the cast bullets than with 240 JHP's. Why that should be so I have no idea, but the sound was clearly different. I'd glass bedded it for him, and after the glass bedding the sound of cycling was very much enhanced, as was his accuracy.

I suspect the 200's aren't quite hot enough for your rifle, but more bullet weight may help as well. Wish I could provide better info/experience, but that's all I've got, FWIW, if anything.