PDA

View Full Version : How many of you....

Blammer
04-21-2008, 01:52 PM
How many of you got to name your own street?

Why do I ask?

Well when receiving all these letters I can't help but notice the street, city and addresses.

Much more than usual, I see streets that have to do with casting names or reloading or shooting topics.

so I was just wondering who here got to name thier own street or was it happenstance that you live on a street named 'lead drive' with house number of 308 with a zipcode of 31104. :}

some streets appear to be named after the owner... :)

corey012778
04-21-2008, 02:20 PM
the lane I live on is named after my last name.

Scrounger
04-21-2008, 02:22 PM
The Post Office has complete authority on Zip Code, and the county (or city) controls address numbers, it's part of their master plan.

Morgan Astorbilt
04-21-2008, 03:31 PM
When enhanced 911 came in, they had to do away with the rural routes, and name all the roads coming off state and county roads, so the data base would know where, and on which side of the road you were on. My original address: Box 111 AB, became 393 Belle Terre Drive. I got to name my own road, for $200. The county gave our road the "free" embarrassing name of "Pansy Lane". I hit the roof, our original plat, and the right or way, had it listed as "Ridge Road". The county said that was already taken, so I tried "Gunpowder Lane". That was also taken, so I finally settled on "Belle Terre Drive", after the old Phelps Dodge estate in upstate New York, where I used to attend our club falconry meets. I suspect they do this purposely, as a revenue raiser.:twisted:
The 393 number tells the computer that our house is 1/2mi. in, on the left.
Morgan

beagle
04-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Well worth the $200.../beagle

Gussy
04-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Yes, Labrador Lane. I have had Labs for almost 40 years. The neighbor has 3 and he was all in favor of the name when I had the road put in.
Gus

Shepherd2
04-21-2008, 04:49 PM
We got 911 a couple years ago and all the township and county roads now have to have names instead of numbers. Our County Road 13 reverted back to it's old name of T Ridge Road. We weren't thrilled about it at the time but now we're used to it. We had a chance to suggest a different name but didn't so we have no right to gripe about it. Still T Ridge is a whole bunch better than Buzzards Glory Road and some others I could mention.

fourarmed
04-21-2008, 05:52 PM
The county where my farm is located was too short on money and creativity. So now the E-W roads have numbers, and the N-S roads have letters. How boring. My address now is 1666 390th Street. The nearest paved road is 5 miles away, and they call it a street. We are not amused.

NVcurmudgeon
04-21-2008, 05:56 PM
It is my brag that I live 400 yd. N of Galena Creek. That is true, but I had no part in naming it. The name is because of 19th. century lead mines on Mt. Rose, a few miles away. Galena Creek as you might suspect runs from Mt. Rose and eventually into a tributary creek of the Truckee
River. There is also a Galena High School and various subdivisions named Galena, in Reno, probably by developers who don't have a clue about what galena is.

Nueces
04-21-2008, 09:02 PM
My last house was on Musket Ridge Parkway. In my current neighborhood, there is a Winchester Road. Boy, did I want an address like "50 Winchester." :drinks:

Mark

Junior1942
04-21-2008, 09:08 PM
I live on Major Doughty Road which is named after my paternal greatgrandfather. I like it.....

jackley
04-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Just Prairie Dog Creek Road here. Named after a bunch of vermin. But I do get to blast them though.

Jerry

AZ-Stew
04-21-2008, 09:43 PM
FYI, if you want to live in a place with a high number of this type of street name, move to Apache Junction, AZ.

Winchester Rd.

Colt Rd.

Starr Rd.

Sixshooter Rd.

Trigger Court

and a myriad of other old west, desert plant and American Indian names. I wanted to live there when we first came to AZ, but the commute was too long.

Regards,

Stew

Scrounger
04-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Just Prairie Dog Creek Road here. Named after a bunch of vermin. But I do get to blast them though.

Jerry

Is there a Prarie Dog Creek there? It was prominently mentioned in a great western, "The Tall Men", starring Clark Gable, Robert Ryan, and Jane Russell.

jackley
04-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Yes there is a Prairie Dog Creek here. Runs between the house and the barn. Good trout fishing.

Jerry

Blammer
04-21-2008, 11:07 PM
When I lived in Greensboro, NC we lived on a dead end road with a lake and when we bought the house (IE my dad as I was about 8 or so) he promptly had the name of the road changed from Billy Grantham Rd to Duck Club Road. We had ducks on the lake and my dad and the neighbor were avid duck hunters.

nvbirdman
04-21-2008, 11:14 PM
My neighbors and I had to submit three choices and the county picked one of them. If I had had a little warning I would have suggested Iamlost Lane.

dakotashooter2
04-22-2008, 09:26 AM
You gotta love government consistency. When the 911 systems were enacted some states went from road names to road numbers and some from road numbers to road names. LOL What a bunch of bafoons!:-?

montana_charlie
04-22-2008, 11:09 AM
We have had three 'official' addresses since we moved into our current house in '87. The first had us using a Postal rural route and box number. That system was strictly for mail delivery, and had nothing to do with the road names and numbers that had been around for decades. Our last two 'mailing addresses' have used the name of the road we live on...but the numbers have changed.
The road we live on is called County Line Road because (you guessed it) it sits on the line between two counties...Cascade to the south, and Teton to the north.
It dead ends at our place because the geography prevents road building any further east.

Being fairly flat country, with most places being irrigated through a very extensive system of ditches, the roads are laid out on the section lines...one mile apart. And (in compliance with the Nine One One thing) they are all clearly identified, and each house has it's recorded number.
What makes it pretty easy for a stranger to get around is the fact that all of the east-west roads are called 'roads', and those running north-south are called 'lanes'.

The first road you come to when traveling south from County Line Road is called (ready for this?) First Road South. If to go five miles north of County Line, that one is Fifth Road North.
The lanes are numbered (in this region) from Fairfield, Montana. The first north-south road you find (when coming east) from Fairfield is First Lane. If you have a house two and a quarter miles north of County Line Road, and it is on Fifth Lane, your address is 250 (or 251, depending on which side of the road) Fifth Lane Northeast.

If you can find an intersection with a sign telling which road and lane you are looking at...and you have any concept of north and south...you can figure out 'where' you are, and which way to go to reach your destination. Only a few of the 'roads' have names, so if the stranger can count, he can get around.
It actually works well.

Our only problem arose when we had our second 'official' address...the first one that complied with the Nine One One requirement.
The road name stayed as it had allways been called, but the numbering system went goofy.
People on the south side of the county line got numbers specified by their county (Cascade) and we on the north side got our numbering from Teton County.

Think about that.

Cascade starts numbering from some geographical point...that results in our neighbors across the road having a 'number' in the 1400 range. Teton starts numbering their side of that same road from a different point...with the result that our 'number' was in the 2100's.

Think about that.

Thankfully, the mail carrier knows everybody by name, and has the paper to 'translate' the old rural route numbers into the current (messed up) Nine One One numbers. Also fortunate was the fact that the UPS driver is pretty well aquainted with where the names are found in the area.
But the Fed Ex guy? He comes out to 'the bench' much less often, and has to go strictly by the numbers he sees. More than once he delivered 'our stuff' to a house SEVEN MILES WEST OF US because he found a 2100 number on the CASCADE SIDE OF THE ROAD out there.

My wife (and eventually others) pounded the Teton County commissioners for two years to get that straightened out. Our actual number is still not correct when you count tenths of a mile from 14th Lane. It should be 1449 instead of 1481.
But it's close enough when you consider that the road stops at our place...and nobody can drive to where 1481 would sit...if it existed.
CM

carpetman
04-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Montana Charlie---why would a house 2 1/4 miles North of County line road be 250 OR 251? Would seem it should be 225 or 224 or 226????

pumpguy
04-22-2008, 03:38 PM
When we lived in Kansas, we lived on a road that had been named by a developer that went broke. The road was actually just my driveway. I wouldn't have minded except it was spelled wrong. Brierwood Lane.

montana_charlie
04-22-2008, 03:46 PM
You are correct. Good thing I don't deliver mail.
CM

carpetman
04-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Pumpguy---Named by developer that went broke---Brierwood aint so bad it could have been Bankruptcy Blvd, Repossessed Lane, or Chapter 5 rd,Default Asphalt Highway, Road to Ruin.

carpetman
04-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Montana Charlie---I could see how a guy from Montana would get confused with that elaborate numbering system. You don't use that. You just count how many sheep and you don't have to count em all just the black ones and multiply by 10.

floodgate
04-22-2008, 05:47 PM
pumpguy:

Ackshully, "brier" is a legitimate spelling variant of "briar", according to my dictionary.

Fg

scrapcan
04-22-2008, 05:59 PM
I have to tell you the Post office can create havoc if they want to . WE have lived in our current abode since 2001. Since said move in date the mailing address has been linked to three different towns. Same road, same address number, but different town and zip code. Had to do with th PO and distribution of work load we were told. Our mail is worse now than ever.

Scrounger
04-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Even without the 'workload' excuse, it gets pretty confusing at times. I remember on one route I delivered, a built up area, no open ground, there were 8 houses in the space of one block. The city i worked in claimed 3 of the houses, the adjoining city claimed 2, and the county claimed 3 of them were on unincorporated land. Result, Each city delivered their houses and the counties, so three of them got 2 deliveries a day, from two different cities.

carpetman
04-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Talk about messing things up. There is an old street here that has many businesses that have been there for years---business cards stationery and such. The city renames it Martin Luther King Dr---got to be politically correct and have one you know. Why couldn't they name a new street that? Possibly make it hard to sell houses there? BTW they didn't rename the whole street one part had a slight break and the remainder still has the old name.

carpetman
04-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Lubbock Texas was the hometown of Charles Hardin Holly better known as rock singer Buddy Holly who was killed in plane crash in 1959. Lubbock named a street Buddy Holly Ave or Blvd---anyways Buddy Holly's widow is from Puerto Rico and all of a sudden after many years she wanted money from the city of Lubbock for them using his name. Don't think she got any and I'm not sure the outcome---maybe someone knows?

montana_charlie
04-22-2008, 07:28 PM
You just count how many sheep and you don't have to count em all just the black ones and multiply by 10.
I guess you want me to get lost. I haven't seen a sheep in over two years, and haven't typed the word in (probably) 18 months.
However, there is a game farm not too far away that has a few mountain goats.

As for black sheep, I never have seen one in Montana.
CM

MT Gianni
04-22-2008, 07:39 PM
I still like the numbers better than the old system. "Turn at the old Smith Barn" except the Smith's sold over 30 years and 3 owners ago and the barn burned 12 years ago but everybody knew where it was so they just called it that.
Some of the fun road names I have seen are: Lois Lane, Warp Drive, My Way, Her Way, and Yername street. Gianni

carpetman
04-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Montana Charlie---haven't seen a sheep in 2 years----I bet they hide when they see you.

carpetman
04-22-2008, 10:00 PM
No black sheep in Montana? Does Affirmative Actions allow that?

Morgan Astorbilt
04-22-2008, 10:33 PM
The road to the local trash dump is named Peyton Place. Someone must have liked the book.
Morgan

montana_charlie
04-23-2008, 12:59 PM
I still like the numbers better than the old system. "Turn at the old Smith Barn".......
I think every area is afflicted with that kind of 'road information'.

The road I mentioned earlier, First Road South, does lie one mile south of County Line Road. But, everybody (who has been out here for a while) calls it Crow Road.

It is one of the few roads in the area with some asphalt on it's surface, and that coating was laid on to make it easier for the school bus to reach the (long gone) one-room schoolhouse called Crow School.
The school had that name because it serviced the kids living on the Crow Bench division of The Fairfield Bench...where Budweiser gets much of it's malting barley.

The particular part of Crow Bench our property lies on is Chicken Coop Flats.

Newcomers to the area know that the pavement (on Crow Road) ends at the intersection where 'the elk farm' is.
That is where it meets 13th Lane, which is more commonly called Dracutt Hill Road - in spite of the fact that it runs north-south, and should be considered a 'lane'.

But to 'oldtimers', that intersection is known as Gephart's Corner because the house on the corner (opposite the elk farm) belongs to old man Gephart.

That house is easy to recognize because it only has exterior siding on three sides. The front is still raw-looking. It's been that way for much longer than the twenty years I have been passing it, and the reason for not completing the exterior is...

"Since the building is 'not yet finished', he doesn't have to pay property tax on it."

Montana Charlie---haven't seen a sheep in 2 years----I bet they hide when they see you.
On the rare occasions when I find myself in the vicinity of sheep, they don't seem to take any special pains to disappear.
Of course, they would only need a quick glance to know I'm not wearing those knee-high rubber boots, and I don't spend time following them around with lust in my heart.

As for the absence of black sheep, it may be a 'Montana Beautification' thing.

You know how dark colorth are just THO BAD about thowing dirt...don't you, Preciousth?
CM

carpetman
04-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Montana Charlie---Actually I can relate to what you say about not seeing sheep. San Angelo is called the wool capitol and so I guess there are sheep around. The college (ASU-Angelo State Univ)are the rams and they have one that is a mascot and on the rare occasion I go to one of their games I see a sheep or at the fair and thats about it.

Scrounger
04-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Montana Charlie---Actually I can relate to what you say about not seeing sheep. San Angelo is called the wool capitol and so I guess there are sheep around. The college (ASU-Angelo State Univ)are the rams and they have one that is a mascot and on the rare occasion I go to one of their games I see a sheep or at the fair and thats about it.

HAH!!! Everybody that believes that, call me about some land I have for sale in Florida...

onceabull
04-23-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm guessing there are at least as many sheep in San Angelo as there are turkeys in Cuero.:???: Onceabull

tommag
04-23-2008, 11:10 PM
I live on Remington Drive, with Winchester, Speer, and Kalishnikov nearby.

bruce drake
04-24-2008, 12:31 AM
I live on Harrison Street but I think it was named for the President and not COL E.H. Harrison of NRA Cast Bullet fame.

Sundogg1911
04-24-2008, 03:49 PM
I live on a private road (Keibler Beach Lane) it was named after the original owners of all of the property. most of my neighbors are Keiblers or relatives of the Keiblers. It was originally Keibler drive, but 911 was getting confused because it's actually a private road off of Keibler. I still haven't found the beach, but it's impressive to tell people I have a beach house. Some of my neighbors had to even change their house numbers when they changed it to lane. (only 4 houses on my street) it's starting to get confusing when someone askes where I live. the new street sign is also spelled wrong (Kiebler)

TCLouis
04-24-2008, 10:05 PM
I picked it.

But only the idiot at the county could have posted the addresses on the wrong sides.

When I called her and inquired about it, first she did not know there was a convention for odd and even numbers, secondly whe asked how she could have determined right side and left side.
It astarts on a county road and dead ends back in a holler.
DUH

And she was setting up 911 address system!

monadnock#5
04-24-2008, 11:15 PM
For years and years my address was a cause for confusion. So. Main St., Jaffrey Rd., Old Jaffrey Rd., Monadnock Hwy., State Rte. 124, all were equally valid.

The 911 system solved the problem neatly. The bad news: no one asked me what the name should be. The good news: since I put a post with my street number up at the foot of the driveway, the guy in the brown truck never misses me anymore. Life is good.

surveyor
04-24-2008, 11:28 PM
As a land surveyor much of my business is designing new residential subdivisions. Usually my clients (developers) select the names, frequently their family members. Occasionally they do not specify and I end up picking the names for the subdivision and the roads. That is why in this area we have a "Hunters Drive" and "Flintlock Lane". I'm still trying to get a road in a ritzy subdivision named "Dirt Road" or "Gravel Drive". We do have a road here in Town named "Wong Way". Don't blame me, I didn't name that one.

Then there is the large subdivision with all the streets having indian names (Arapaho, etc) one of the streets is "Elohssa", sounds like an indian tribe until you read it in your rear view mirror.

clodhopper
04-25-2008, 12:05 AM
I was not around when my street was named. But my subdivision was the first in Montana.
The planners have worked out some bugs since then. The subdivison lots were numbered starting in the upper left hand corner of the map along one side of the road and back up the other side. lots on the west side of the road got a #1 added to the lot number while lots on the east side of the road got a 0 added to the lot number to form our address.
So going north the numbers go up on the right side and go down on the left side. My address is 3650 and the guy across from me is 2471. Some day the county will fix it, but its kinda fun watching lost people driving up and down the road looking.

Mumblypeg
04-25-2008, 12:08 AM
OK, so what with "Park Drive"? Are you going to park or drive?
My street is Sourwood Drive. I didn't name it but I get blamed for it. It seens as though someone thinks I'm SOUR.???