PDA

View Full Version : supressor question

Lloyd Smale
01-11-2016, 09:12 AM
I have a yhm 556 suppressor. is it legal for me to drill it out and make it into a 9mm suppressor?

Mica_Hiebert
01-11-2016, 09:53 AM
No a 07/02 FFL/SOT (special occupation tax paid) has to do it for you.

mcdaniel.mac
01-11-2016, 10:47 AM
I have a yhm 556 suppressor. is it legal for me to drill it out and make it into a 9mm suppressor?
Permanent caliber changes are a taxable event for suppressors, meaning that you will have to pay the tax as well as paying an 02/07 to do the work. F

Mica_Hiebert
01-11-2016, 10:55 AM
In other words better off getting a 9mm suppressor and having both.

Artful
01-11-2016, 11:17 AM
Permanent caliber changes are a taxable event for suppressors, meaning that you will have to pay the tax as well as paying an 02/07 to do the work. F

Correct -
you'd be better off buying a 9mm can, as the baffles in your 223 can are not designed
for the 9mm so there's a good chance it won't be very quiet after drilled out.

mcdaniel.mac
01-11-2016, 11:22 AM
Well, and if you're gonna put it on a handgun you'd need it extremely modified to run with a booster, and it will be almost useless on .223 again.

Suppressors work best when they're doing what they were designed to do. If you want a multi-caliber can look at the new modular stuff like the SilencerCo Hybrid and the Liberty Mystic X. If you want a .35 rifle can, I think Liberty has one that's designed for .358 WinMag

Lloyd Smale
01-11-2016, 12:04 PM
thanks guys. I bought the thing thinking it could do double duty on my 22lrs but it just doesn't work like a dedicated 22lr can.

matrixcs
01-11-2016, 12:11 PM
You could always file a form1 and make your own from the ground up..
There are many ways to make one that is above board (legal)...It is a fun project

Blackwater
01-11-2016, 12:27 PM
One thing I've learned about suppressors lately, that I didn't know, is that you can use a 9mm. on a smaller caliber, and yes, it's now quite optimum, but it substantially reduces the report of even a .22. Not ideal, or quite as quiet as one designed specifically for the bullet dia., but still a substantial reduction in report. For me, I want a suppressor to be as quiet as possible, but that's just because it doesn't take much of a sound to spook the game and varmints I'd want to use it on, and extreme quiet is what it'd likely take to get off several shots before the game finally spooks. I'd really like to get into cropping wild hogs at night with a red dot and suppressor. Does anyone not like bacon????

rockrat
01-11-2016, 12:28 PM
I don't know, you MIGHT be able to drill it out yourself, but that changes the caliber on what the can was origionally made and I believe you have to transfer it from yourself to yourself, but with a caliber change on the form.

MtGun44
01-11-2016, 03:52 PM
I have used a .30 cal rifle suppressor on .223 and it works great. Probably not quite
as good as proper caliber, but plenty good enough for me.

I asked Jeff in NZ about it, since they are hardware store items there and they
have more experience, and he told me about this. He is exactly correct, as
usual.

Bill

Lloyd Smale
01-11-2016, 04:30 PM
I know that if I was going to do it again id surely not buy a 556 can. You about cant an ar subsonic anyway so you get that crack no matter what. It about makes my 223s sound like a 22mag rifle or 22lr handgun without a can. Hardly worth the bother.

Boolit_Head
01-11-2016, 05:02 PM
I have used a .30 cal rifle suppressor on .223 and it works great. Probably not quite
as good as proper caliber, but plenty good enough for me.

I asked Jeff in NZ about it, since they are hardware store items there and they
have more experience, and he told me about this. He is exactly correct, as
usual.

Bill

I was just speaking to a friend today about doing a Form 1 for a 30 cal and he suggested I could change out the end caps for a 223 and still get good performance. I am guessing that would not qualify as a caliber change?

762 shooter
01-11-2016, 05:13 PM
You don't have to change anything. There are 1/2 x 28 to 5/8 x 24 thread adapters. Brownells has them. Way quicker and pretty darn quiet.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/muzzle-devices/thread-adapters/m4-muzzle-thread-adapter-prod54364.aspx

I did Form 1's. You have more control about what is and what isn't. I heard of a guy that got a Form 1 stamp in the 60's and still hasn't built his. :roll: Just saying. If you don't have a mill or CNC in your back pocket these work just fine.

http://sdtacticalarms.com/

Now if you are an OPERATOR and need the shortest, lightest, quietest can around, then you need to go spend your $900-$1100 on them. If you just want quiet, $250 will do the job.

Just remember that the Feds take this stuff VERY seriously. Get that tax stamp in hand and know that you are doing everything in the correct order.

Boolit_Head
01-11-2016, 05:20 PM
He was actually suggesting changing out the front cap to a 223 sized one as well. That is the part I did not know if it would be considered a caliber change as well.

762 shooter
01-11-2016, 05:54 PM
I'm not sure you would notice a difference by changing the front cap to 223. I think most of the gas deceleration has happened by then.

Tackleberry41
01-11-2016, 06:14 PM
Front cap will have little effect, as pointed out all the work is done by the time the bullet gets to the exit. A 223 can will work on a 22lr, just major overkill. It doesn't take much of a can to suppress a 22lr, vs all the pressure generated in a 223. Just as you do not need all the strength of a 223 in a 9mm. Look at gas volume and pressure between the 2. A 9mm can be made using nearly all aluminum, and simply slide the baffles in, a 223 needs to be considerably stronger to take the abuse. This is all on full powered ammo, you switch to subsonic ammo and doesn't take much of a can.

blademasterii
01-11-2016, 06:47 PM
Look into a liberty mystic x. I have the original one and .22 is stupid quiet, .38 special is just as quiet. 30 30 subsonic you can hear the round hit the paper target. 9mm supersonic is loud, but hearing safe. .223 with 16'' barrel is quieter than a long barrel .22 rifle. A good 9mm can is the most versatile can you can buy. I just ordered the liberty cosmic, which is the 45 cal version of the mystic and rated up to 458 socom. I think my 45 70 contender with 500 grain rounds is gona be fun. As well as my desert eagle and 454 lever.

petroid
01-11-2016, 07:36 PM
Look into a liberty mystic x.

I, too, have the original mystic. It's superb on 9mm, 38spl, 300BLK and 22. Haven't used it on 223 yet. Not rated for full power 308 but my SOT assured me it would handle it. And it's good for 357 MAX!

Nose Dive
01-11-2016, 07:41 PM
Loyd... Mica's right. Can't go making mods to a suppressor unless you have a BATF 'ticket to ride'.... Don't get crossways with Uncle Sam.

Now, "Can you do it' and make it fit and work. Sure...probably can. But, making mods to one suppressor to fit and 'work' on another caliber can and will make performance change across the design spectrum as engineered for the original round, temps, gas flows, pressures..etc..etc. Simply here, if you 'change something here, you change something there'.... Might not like either.

Agree with fellas above. Best to have the 'right tool' for the right job. Or, using a screw bushing to make it fit without any 'permanent modifications'....now that maybe an idea to investigate.

Nose Dive.

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

Lloyd Smale
01-12-2016, 08:45 AM
the 223 cans ive seen have fewer baffles but they are more heavily constructed to take the pressure. the 22lr cans ive seen have more baffles closer together and do a much better job on a 22lr. My buddy has 3 different inexpensive 22lr cans and all of them are substantialy quieter then my yhm 556 can is. In a handgun I have to shoot cci quiet ammo to get my sound down to what his will do with high velocity 22 ammo and the cci quiet wont hardly move the bolt. His suppresors are quieter then mine if hes using high velocity and I'm using various sub sonic ammo.
Front cap will have little effect, as pointed out all the work is done by the time the bullet gets to the exit. A 223 can will work on a 22lr, just major overkill. It doesn't take much of a can to suppress a 22lr, vs all the pressure generated in a 223. Just as you do not need all the strength of a 223 in a 9mm. Look at gas volume and pressure between the 2. A 9mm can be made using nearly all aluminum, and simply slide the baffles in, a 223 needs to be considerably stronger to take the abuse. This is all on full powered ammo, you switch to subsonic ammo and doesn't take much of a can.

Geraldo
01-12-2016, 08:48 AM
I know that if I was going to do it again id surely not buy a 556 can. You about cant an ar subsonic anyway so you get that crack no matter what. It about makes my 223s sound like a 22mag rifle or 22lr handgun without a can. Hardly worth the bother.

That's a big difference if you're running an AR/M4 indoors (LE or military). I find that I still want ear protection outdoors with a suppressed .223.

Lloyd Smale
01-12-2016, 08:58 AM
I agree. I can get away with out ear plugs outside but id surely want them if I was shooting in a confinded space.

wlc
01-12-2016, 03:21 PM

This is correct.

As far as changeable end caps on a home made can, you better read up on the laws. The extra caps would be considered suppressor parts and therefore in the eyes of the ATF suppressors in and of themselves requiring the tax stamp. The only "extra"/ replacement parts you are allowed to have are replaceable wipes. They are considered disposable and allowable to have. Not many wiped cans around though.

Some of the commercial mfgs are coming out with cans with changeable end caps and variable lengths. Don't know what kind of variance they had to get, but from my understanding a home built can can't have the changeable end caps or variable lengths.

I have the old model Liberty Mystic. I would recommend it(or rather the newer Liberty Mystic X) to anyone wanting a multi caliber, multi platform suppressor. Very quiet on 22lr. Even though the bore of the suppressor is so much larger than the bullet the volume is tremendous for the 22lr. Shooting 38special is almost Hollyweird quiet. I've shot 22lr, 38's, 9mm, 357Max, and 300 Blackout from mine. No 223 yet, but its been a while since I've shot any 223. It is really a swiss army knife of suppressors.

mcdaniel.mac
01-13-2016, 12:22 AM
The formula that's worked for me has been .308 cans for anything .310" or less in rifle caliber, .45" pistol cans for any pistol cal and some subsonic low-pressure rifle like .300blk or .300 whisper, and .22" cans for rimfire. I went with a Spectre II and I'm good all the way up to 5.7x28 with it, not sure about .22 Hornet.

Bowers makes a .50" can that I had my eye on for a Thumper project, of course...and then I'll need a lighter .30" can...and maybe one of those Thompson Posiedon's for a PPK project...

Artful
01-13-2016, 12:37 AM
I find it interesting that the commercial cans can now be offered in two pcs so you can have a short and a long but the ATFE won't approve that for DIY form 1 cans.

wlc
01-13-2016, 02:15 AM
I find it interesting that the commercial cans can now be offered in two pcs so you can have a short and a long but the ATFE won't approve that for DIY form 1 cans.

Yea, I don't know what happened with that "ruling". Seems I recall a few years back a company wanting to come out with a "modular" can and it got shot down and now there are at least two different companies coming to market with new modular cans and one of them even has different changeable end caps for different calibers. Supposed to handle 22 up through 300 mag.

mcdaniel.mac
01-13-2016, 05:27 AM
Yea, I don't know what happened with that "ruling". Seems I recall a few years back a company wanting to come out with a "modular" can and it got shot down and now there are at least two different companies coming to market with new modular cans and one of them even has different changeable end caps for different calibers. Supposed to handle 22 up through 300 mag.
I believe the issue previously was that the designs would have allowed someone to effectively screw together two different suppressors at once. The new designs won't let you assemble a can without the serialized portion.