PDA

View Full Version : Love my cva optima

odfairfaxsub
01-10-2016, 11:32 PM
Bought one at the time for my deer getter. Well budget said couldn't afford a tc. Wow what a rifle!!! Cva really did great on this model or to extend that compliment bravo 2015-2016 cva!!! What a rifle. Shoots 1 1/2 inch groups scoped from 100 yards 110 gr pyro ex w a tc superglide sabboted 200 gr xtp. Was using 295 gr powerbelts but they drop too much too quick. But to give credit the power belts shot just as great w authority

johnson1942
01-11-2016, 12:03 AM
is that the pistol or the rifle?

odfairfaxsub
01-11-2016, 05:33 AM
Rifle. Blues and black and fluted. I really think I ended up w a nitrided barrel. I always clean but the outside finish is either some bead blasted black black job or nitride like a ar15 barrel I have

OverMax
01-11-2016, 07:23 AM
CVA optima's models are indeed nice and no doubt come with more and better improvements every year. Lucky Dog you are odfairfaxsub. As for me. That nitride barrel one sure has me anxious to want one. This one (X) link is the one I'm interested in. The only thing that's holding me back is how accurate _or not_ V-2 commenting by its owners.

(X)
(http://www.cva.com/CVA-Store-View.php?id=626)
(http://www.cva.com/CVA-Store-View.php?id=626)

odfairfaxsub
01-11-2016, 10:50 AM
Yeah I was shooting 80 gr pyrodex loose w 295 gr powerbelts and getting around 2 inch groups or so as a norm 100 yards and I get 1 1/2 in groups w the superglide and 200 gr xtp 110 gr pyro.

the barrel idk if it has something to do w barrel finish or what (not exactly mirror shiny from factory) but when I did the 150 gr pyro route I got plastic fouling bad. Dropped it back to 110 right off the bat and no more fouling. I was shooting around 25 shots w 110 gr and no probs very easy to load just patching between...shoot those 150 gr charges after first shot realized this was a need to brush out. I'm not one to wire brush each shot no way. Wire brushed the plastic fouling and did the 110 gr routine and back in business.

My my uncle has a accura and he had plastic fouling too so maybe has nothing to do w cva barrel but all to do w superglides in the cva barrel he was having same plastic fouling issues.

dad has a prohunter and w superglides no problems w mag charges but for me I like my combo and no negative effects w accuracy nor cleaning w 110 gr so I'm happy

johnson1942
01-11-2016, 11:19 AM
i have the v2 stainless pistol. got it on trade. way too much recoil so i built a stock for it and put a dead mule under the barrel. havent sighted it in yet but will in warmer weather. have a nice 9 power scope on it. i find the barrel a bit tighter than .50 so i run my bullets for the sabots through a .448 reduceing die and then they load in a mmp sabot as they should. if you want to shoot power belt as accurate as sabots their is a thing you can do and im going to do it to mine when i get time. the relief in the muzzle that allows you to load sabots easier has to be taken out on some gun barrels so things like power belts and cast or paperpatched bullets can shoot real accurate. i have a device i got from brownells a device that fits over the barrel and screws tight to it.it is made out of the hardest steel available. just cut the barrel off with a hack saw firstjust where the lands begin and then screw this device on and file down with a good file perfectly square onto the surface of the device. finish with emery paper over the device and you get a perfect square muzzle. i also have crowning tools i bought from brownells to crown it slightly. their are other ways to redue a muzzle and a good gunsmith can do it for you. if you do that the sabots will still load easy and you can shoot those power belts way more accurate.