PDA

View Full Version : Gun show was swamped today...arrrgh!

oldfart1956
01-09-2016, 11:39 PM
Went to the gun show in Roxbury, Pa. today and it was nutz. Parking lot was filled and the building was jam packed with...stuff. Alliant powder was available but prices still running around $28. Found a table literally overflowing with RCBS presses. They were just piled up! Prices running from $50 to $100. Same feller had probably 200 sets of dies, some calibers I never even heard of. I snatched up an as new RCBS 505 scale for $30. :) Now I have a back-up for my back-up. Uniflow powder measures running $35 to $70. Brass prices bordered on insane, same for bullets. Primers were scarce and $40. Looked for some more G.I. ammo cans to keep my stash in. Must be making them out'a gold now. $18/$20 for a beat up ammo can? Seriously? Gun prices seem to be stable or climbing a bit. There was 6 gun shows going on this weekend!! Next weekend...Carlisle. Audie..the Oldfart..

Finster101
01-09-2016, 11:42 PM
You can thank our dear leader for all that.

dragon813gt
01-09-2016, 11:58 PM
The Carlisle show will be overpriced like usual. I'm debating wether Im going or not. It's a 90 minute drive, plus tolls, just to get there. I'm sure I can find it cheaper locally.

Nose Dive
01-10-2016, 01:46 AM
Agreed.... 'thank you Mr. Obama. Can't wait til your unemployed."

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

mold maker
01-10-2016, 09:34 AM
The gun and ammo ind. should put him on commission. Never mind it's just more Democratic same old, same old.

winchester85
01-10-2016, 10:30 AM
ammo cans from the government surplus auctions are way DOWN in price.
sounds like a gun show to me, overpriced everything.

375supermag
01-10-2016, 10:35 AM
I live just down the road from Carlisle in the York, Pa area.

Never been to the Carlisle show...I rarely miss a show in the York area
I may need to do a recon on the Carlisle show...what is the venue?

I have been playing with the idea of building an AR and maybe I can find a good deal on a lower receiver there.
My son is currently working on his second...he knows what a good manufacturer and price is so our knowledge base going in is pretty good.

Tackleberry41
01-10-2016, 03:04 PM
I have not bought any ammo cans in a while due to the high prices. Im not paying $20 for a used 50 cal can.

Havent been to a show in a while, last one I drove the 90min to, paid for parking, and to get in. Could have just went and bought what I wanted elsewhere for less money and effort.

Walkingwolf
01-10-2016, 03:10 PM
I stopped going to gun shows years ago, unless a person gets lucky prices are usually higher than the LGS. For ammo I use a craftsman bottom, and middle tool cabinet. Much easier to find my ammo than digging through ammo cans.

MtGun44
01-10-2016, 03:21 PM
Went to our local gun show, very crowded, Zero has done it again. Got a good deal, though.

Good deals are where you find them. I have purchased many guns at good prices over the years,
chuckling about the crazy prices or negotiating them down. Anyone without negotiating skills at a gun
show is arriving unarmed. Prices marked are often entirely unrelated to selling prices.

If you can't say, "I'd buy it, but I can't pay that price.", you are just a sucker at a gun show. Know
what something is worth, and if the price is good or you can negotiate it down, buy NOW, never
hesitate. I lost several good deals that way.

tommag
01-10-2016, 04:39 PM
Every time a Democrat farts, it causes a run on gas masks! Prices and availability were just starting to get back to normal. I put in an order at Pat's and Bryan said things were getting nuts again, did I have any second choices?

jcwit
01-10-2016, 05:26 PM
Went to our local gun show, very crowded, Zero has done it again. Got a good deal, though.

Good deals are where you find them. I have purchased many guns at good prices over the years,
chuckling about the crazy prices or negotiating them down. Anyone without negotiating skills at a gun
show is arriving unarmed. Prices marked are often entirely unrelated to selling prices.

If you can't say, "I'd buy it, but I can't pay that price.", you are just a sucker at a gun show. Know
what something is worth, and if the price is good or you can negotiate it down, buy NOW, never
hesitate. I lost several good deals that way.

Yup! That's how it works.

Deals are out there, just got to look for them.

Elkins45
01-10-2016, 05:48 PM
There was a show in Lexington this weekend, but I didn't go for that very reason. I hate to drive an hour and then stand in the rain to get in. By that time anything even remotely approaching a bargain would be long gone.

brtelec
01-10-2016, 06:35 PM
I have pretty much given up on gun shows. If I need an AR15, AR15 part, a cheap knife, beef jerky or something with a swastika on it I am sure I can find it cheaper elsewhere.

Plate plinker
01-10-2016, 06:40 PM
Obama wins salesman of the Year 7 years running...... a new record.

knifemaker
01-10-2016, 07:03 PM
Gun shows in CA. are a waste of time anymore. Due to the regulations here you do not have the individual selling off gun related items like you used to see in the past and could get some good deals. Now they are dealers with dealer's prices. Used gun prices are so high, that you are better off buying new at a few dollars more and not worry about getting someone's lemon that he dumped on the market.
I am very lucky when it comes to buying reloading supplies. I have the Miwall corp. 30 miles away that sells to dealers. On Father's day they open their warehouse to individuals and sell to us at the price they sell to dealers or just slightly over that. That is where I pick up my powder, primers, and cases at a very reasonable price. Factory ammo is also very decent priced including military surplus that guys buy by the case load. The scalpers at gun shows hate to see Miwall at the gunshows. while the scalpers were trying to get 50 dollars per 1000 primers, Miwall was selling primers for 27 dollars per 1000. I normally get 5000 Winchester primers LP for $135.00.

wv109323
01-10-2016, 07:13 PM
I just saw an article on the amount of NICS background checks. In the last 5 years there have been approx. 101 million background checks. The record was 2015 with 23.1 million. All under the Obama.
I don't know but several states are allowing gun purchases with a CCL. I don't believe those sales would be in the numbers.

RogerDat
01-10-2016, 07:48 PM
ammo cans from the government surplus auctions are way DOWN in price.
sounds like a gun show to me, overpriced everything.

That was my impression too. 30 cal. cans were $10 each or 5 for $45 at show I attended Jan 1st. There were primers at around $35 and brass, ammo, and what powder was available was at typical prices ($24-$28) per pound. Brass was a little pricey, and the crowd was bigger than had been common of late. Did see what looked like a few more bulk box ammo purchases being hauled around than have seen in the past. Might have been more stockpiling or could have been better prices and availability causing more to decide to purchase. It was right before the President was going to announce his "actions" on guns so that might have caused more folks to come.

Man I have to say I never see piles of reloading equipment at shows. A few dies from estate sale vendors mostly in calibers that are hard to sell. Might be a few items here and there but nothing like what the other members describe.

Scarcity is driven by the habits or desires of buyers working against the greed or profit motive of sellers. I am pretty sure the president is not going to the shows and buying up the ammo or bidding up the price of primers, brass and powder. Sure I am that I would have noticed the Secret Service wondering around the show.

labradigger1
01-10-2016, 08:02 PM
I sold at the Morgantown show this weekend, good crowd and decent prices. This morning I let the wife run it while I went to the Washington Pa show. Powder was stupid expensive but reloading equipment was very reasonable. Very busy show.

perotter
01-10-2016, 08:03 PM
We have one here next weekend. It will be interesting to see how big the crowd is and what the prices are.

For me it is normally a good place to buy reloading supplies and equipment. As for guns, I've only ever buy used ones that aren't available at the local shops and when the price is right.

jim 44-40
01-10-2016, 08:23 PM
ya, the Washington.PA show was good to me for a change.Picked up a syn stock for a Rem 700 ADL for 20 bucks for my step-son The guy with lyman molds was not there this time.

labradigger1
01-10-2016, 08:27 PM
ya, the Washington.PA show was good to me for a change.Picked up a syn stock for a Rem 700 ADL for 20 bucks for my step-son The guy with lyman molds was not there this time.

The guy with the Lyman molds was in the 3rd building next to the last row end table.
I picked up a few barrels, one was a .33 caliber Douglas xx 30" 1.2" blank, h&g dc 50 and several die sets for reasonable prices.

trapper9260
01-10-2016, 09:29 PM
I just saw an article on the amount of NICS background checks. In the last 5 years there have been approx. 101 million background checks. The record was 2015 with 23.1 million. All under the Obama.
I don't know but several states are allowing gun purchases with a CCL. I don't believe those sales would be in the numbers.
You are right because since they are able to use there CCL there is no background check because it been done before CCL was given.So the way it looks is that they are new owners for how it looks.

Bad Water Bill
01-10-2016, 09:40 PM
There is a gun show listed for "THE ROSEMONT EXPO CENTER"

Reasons I will not attend.

1 A 1 hour drive in rush hour traffic EACH WAY.
2 8 toll fees at about .55 each IF you have your I Pass.
3 Parking is $15.00 Per day.
4 Admission fee $12.00

Well over $30.00 plus wear and tear on my car and my nerves.

Having worked there for many years helping dealers set up their booths I know they are laying out a lot of money just to be there so bartering or looking for deals is a waste of time.

Keep in mind this show is in Illinois so if you purchase a long gun you have a 24 hour waiting period before you can take possession of your new long gun.

That means another trip with all of the dollars spent just to take possession of YOUR own gun.

dragon813gt
01-10-2016, 09:44 PM
So the way it looks is that they are new owners for how it looks.

No, not all states accept a CCW permit as NICS check. I need to have one done every time I purchase a firearm from a dealer. This doesn't bother me and I did my part to help set the record.

edler7
01-10-2016, 10:04 PM
Went to the local gun show here last weekend. Stood in a line of over 200 people to get in the door, usually it isn't more than maybe a half dozen people. On the up side of that, it only took about 15 minutes to move through the line, parking was free and entrance fee was $8.00. The line was almost as big when I went out 3 hours later. Shoulder to shoulder inside at every table, a lot were 2 people deep. Got a good deal on some brass and boxes. Powder was 28+ a pound, but did see some 8# Unique, Red Dot and Blue Dot. Primers were 30-35/1000. Looks like black rifles are going back up in price, they had started to come down to somewhere just north of almost reasonable.

Fishman
01-10-2016, 11:37 PM
Yep here in the great state of texas, my concealed carry is proof of my legal ability to own a firearm. No background check is needed, just the paper form.

starreloader
01-11-2016, 12:07 AM
dragon813gt, maybe you should wait until February and go to the OAKS gun show on the 12th 13th & 14th... No sense driving 90+ minutes to go to Carlisle.. I stopped going there a couple of years ago, never could find anything... Joel always has a good show at the OAKS

rondog
01-11-2016, 01:32 AM
Waste of time and money IMO. I could count on one hand the # I've been to, although I did hit one recently because I was nearby anyway. Got a decent deal on 200 .30-30 cases.

NavyVet1959
01-11-2016, 02:28 AM
Yep here in the great state of texas, my concealed carry is proof of my legal ability to own a firearm. No background check is needed, just the paper form.

But an out-of-state CHL is not good and you have to have the NICS check. I learned this after switching to a Nevada CHL (since Nevada does not recognize the Texas CHL due to Texas allowing people who are in the military and under 21 to get a CHL). Not a big deal for me since I seldom buy guns from FLL holders anyway.

RogerDat
01-11-2016, 02:29 AM
It is only dumb luck that you get a deal unless you actually know the value of what you are buying or shopping for. Gun show & LGS either one might have deals or might be selling at a jacked up price. Knowing what it is worth is only way to shop smart.

dragon813gt
01-11-2016, 08:57 AM
dragon813gt, maybe you should wait until February and go to the OAKS gun show on the 12th 13th & 14th... No sense driving 90+ minutes to go to Carlisle.. I stopped going there a couple of years ago, never could find anything... Joel always has a good show at the OAKS

Even bigger waste of money. Some of the same vendors have tables at shows local to me. The prices are always higher at the Oaks show. Plus I'm not a fan of having security make my gun safe before entering the show. The prices at the show may look good to people coming out of Philly but they are higher than I can buy locally.

MtGun44
01-11-2016, 02:16 PM
BWBill,

My condolences. I drive about 25 minutes, nice interstate highway all the way, not much traffic,
no tolls, $12 but they send me a $2 off coupon in the mail, or you can print it online. Once actually
just showed it on my phone and got the discount without printing a hard copy. A friend and
I go together always, frequently a third guy, too. Saturday, we saw one old friend we hadn't seen in 10 years
or more plus a couple of old shooting buddies from IPSC days, had lunch with one of them, passed the
time pleasantly and found a good deal on a gun. Powder was available in quantity, all kinds, pretty much,
about $24-26 a pound. Primers running $29/1000 $140/5000, lots of brass. Pretty crowded and that
means we overheat the place, too many bodies, even when it was 14F outside. Down to my
T-shirt inside. I bought 8 lbs of W296 last month at a show for $155, thought that was pretty
decent, and will hold me for a while. There are a few dealers who I have bought from for years,
and we stop and chat a bit, I buy when I need something, just say "Hello" and tell a few stories
otherwise.

Going to Topeka this coming weekend, looking for a pocket 9mm for a good price. There
are a couple dealers there who will often beat the pants off the local gun stores and
Cabelas. I have bought several handguns from him over the years, always at really
right prices. Deals are to be found if you just bypass the crazy prices, and ALWAYS
ask "Can you do a little better on the price?". If he won't, OK, but you GOTTA ask!

I know exactly what I want to pay for a particular gun and if he can't do it, I'll order
it on the net, but add $25 shipping and $15 transfer fee. If he can come close enough
to the net prices, I'll buy from him, but I do know what a good price is and won't pay
more out of ignorance. I enjoy the shows, seeing lots of cool guns, occasionally learning
something from a vendor - that can be real fun if you see an unusual gun and just
talk about it for a while. I have learned a lot from some vendors, although you do
need a good BS filter! LOL! Some of them are really full of it! :-) There are some
guys who really do know a lot about it, too.

Oh, there is a toll to Topeka, pay $1.15 each way, IIRC, about 70 mile drive. The
only toll road in the state of KS.

I really do think that gun shows are what you make of them, although perhaps it is
just the Midwestern attitudes that make it nice and fun.

Whole lotta hidden taxes in the Worker's Paradise of Chiraq (I think you call it). I really do
wonder why people keep subjecting themselves to that when there is a lot of Free
America still out here where life is simpler, far cheaper to live and there is a whole
lot more liberty. I guess a lot is family and jobs, hard to judge what holds people.

Bill

scarry scarney
01-11-2016, 02:46 PM
From local newspaper

Bay area gun show reports large attendance.
http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_29364362/cow-palace-gun-show-draws-crowd-wake-obamas
In a nutshell, they expected 3,500 they got 7,000

oldfart1956
01-11-2016, 09:45 PM
I live just down the road from Carlisle in the York, Pa area.

Never been to the Carlisle show...I rarely miss a show in the York area
I may need to do a recon on the Carlisle show...what is the venue?

I have been playing with the idea of building an AR and maybe I can find a good deal on a lower receiver there.
My son is currently working on his second...he knows what a good manufacturer and price is so our knowledge base going in is pretty good. Supermag keep in mind the Carlisle show is much smaller than York. Much smaller. It can be hit or miss. Larger shows pull some of the dealers away if they're going on at the same time. I've found some real steals (lubesizer $25) and on occasion couldn't find anything. I still go, I'm still supporting the dealers. Only a 60 mile round trip for me so less than 2 gallons of gas. :) Audie..the Oldfart

pergoman
01-11-2016, 10:12 PM
I went to Leesport and then Lebanon Saturday. Both shows had good attendance and nothing significant for me or my buddy. Prices on most of the items are retail + 20% compared to LGS. Went across the street to Shyda's and found everything new was cheaper than at the shows. Buddy wanted another set of 270 dies. Well used ones were $30-35 at the show and they wouldn't budge on price. New ones at Shydas are $37. I'll skip Carlisle. Too small and cramped plus I never had any luck there.

shooterg
01-12-2016, 04:05 PM
For me it's equivalent to the wife walking around the mall(well,OK, she doesn't have to PAY). Just walking through the stuff , occasionally meeting an old bud, and smelling the gun oil makes it a good day ! And I do find something every now and then.

gwpercle
01-12-2016, 05:32 PM
I wonder if Obamma has any idea of how many guns he sells. I'm sure he's clueless.

Bad Water Bill
01-12-2016, 06:36 PM
Please listen to "The Comedy Hour" tonight when he lies about HIS major accomplishments.:bigsmyl2:

375supermag
01-12-2016, 08:40 PM
I may drive up there this weekend if my son and I don't work.
We'll see how that goes...

Never can tell what may trip my fancy...I have bought a few guns at shows and done pretty well.
I pretty know what most stuff I'm interested in runs at retail establishments, so no one is likely to sell me something over-priced.
I am well versed in the art of saying...No.

jcwit
01-12-2016, 10:59 PM
Please listen to "The Comedy Hour" tonight when he lies about HIS major accomplishments.:bigsmyl2:

I only wish he's SHUT UP!

starreloader
01-12-2016, 11:44 PM
What did he really have to say?... He lost me with all the things that he rambled on about... Nothing new from 'O', he has been floundering since day ONE... 1 hour and 15 minutes of useless talk.. 'O' could had done all he need to do in less than 2 minutes