PDA

View Full Version : After 10 years, I finally pulled the trigger on a RCBS Pro Melt

rototerrier
01-09-2016, 02:41 PM
Been casting pretty solid for about 10 years now. The Lee 4-20 only had to go back one time during that period for repairs. I've finally decided my back can't take it any longer. The uncomfortable mold guide and poorly positioned spout has taken its toll on me. I've figured out ways to elevate it and make it work but I'm done. From all my years of research, the rcbs looks to solve all the issues I've learned to live with. I considered the Lyman mag 25 but stuck with what I've always wanted. Couldn't trust that my Lee and mp molds would fit in the Lyman guide.

I'm pretty excited. Will be here Monday. Can't wait to hook up my pid and start casting!

Anyone have any suggestions or advice on things it might need? Tweaks? Upgrades?

Thinktwicez71
01-09-2016, 03:02 PM
you will love it , my wife's cousin has one that was passed down from his uncle , i am totally envious and wish i had my own , some day i will

rototerrier
01-09-2016, 03:07 PM
Amazon has it for 342 and then subtract the $75 rebate and I used a 100 gift card I was given for Christmas. So price wise, I'm coming out pretty good on this one. That was the only way I was able to finally get it passed through the boss lady.

osteodoc08
01-09-2016, 03:56 PM
I've cast with 45cal's RCBS Promelt and it is quite nice. I think you'll love it.

Beagle333
01-09-2016, 04:45 PM
I absolutely love my ProMelt!! When they are right out of the box..... some of them will trip a GFCI breaker for a while. (the first 3 or 4 uses) and then they will stop doing it. It can be quite frustrating and make you think you got a defective pot, but everything is okay. Not all of them do that.... but if it does, it'll get over it. Just use a non GFCI plug until it breaks in.
Enjoy!!!! A PID controlled ProMelt is truly a pleasure to cast with.

Walter Laich
01-09-2016, 05:01 PM
I love mine, found it used for a great price

I converted mine to pull down pouring--works great and doesn't wear my shoulder out (rotator cuff surgery twice on it) http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?279193-Converting-RCBS-Pro-Melt-to-quot-pull-down-to-open-quot-operations&highlight=pull+rcbs+pot

built a PID for temp control

when you have a bit of money laying around check out the shelf and lid for them http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?275219-RCBS-Pro-Melt-Upgrades&highlight=rcbs+lid+shelf

lightman
01-09-2016, 05:05 PM
You will enjoy it. I have had mine for years.

alfloyd
01-09-2016, 09:18 PM
I added a roller to the mold guide, photos below. This helps sliding the mold as you fill up the 6 cavities.

157704 157705

Works like a charm.

Lafaun

rototerrier
01-09-2016, 09:39 PM
Is that just a piece of aluminum tubing or a ceramic?

Le Loup Solitaire
01-09-2016, 09:43 PM
My variation of the roller in the previous post is something I worked out many years ago; I used 3 of the ball bearing units from skateboard wheels and placed them side by side. It allows to and from movement of 4 and 6 cavity molds easily...does not harm the mold blocks in any way. You could get by with only one unit, but two or more doesn't require any lateral balancing. LLS

dikman
01-10-2016, 12:54 AM
Roto, I strongly suggest you get the shelf kit, as mentioned by Walter. I made my own (similar concept to the kit) because the kit wasn't around then, and also fitted one to the Lee. It makes a world of difference, as you get a nice flat surface to slide the mold on and can set the fence to guide it.

Those single rod rests are rubbish, as far as I'm concerned.

retread
01-10-2016, 01:03 AM
I love mine, found it used for a great price

I converted mine to pull down pouring--works great and doesn't wear my shoulder out (rotator cuff surgery twice on it) http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?279193-Converting-RCBS-Pro-Melt-to-quot-pull-down-to-open-quot-operations&highlight=pull+rcbs+pot

built a PID for temp control

when you have a bit of money laying around check out the shelf and lid for them http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?275219-RCBS-Pro-Melt-Upgrades&highlight=rcbs+lid+shelf

I went there but the pictures could not be seen, just a small box in the "X" in it. Sure would like to see what you have done.

alfloyd
01-11-2016, 02:45 AM
"Is that just a piece of aluminum tubing or a ceramic?"

No, it a piece of Teflon rod that I bored a hole in to fit on the rod.

Lafaun

LenH
01-11-2016, 10:11 AM
I found one slightly used on the S&S, it had a Lyman mold guide and a PID. I did get the shelf kit for it and removed the Lyman mold guide.

The guy had drilled 2 holes in the base and made post for the mold guide out of machine bolts.

scarry scarney
01-11-2016, 01:18 PM
I got my Pro-Melt almost 30 years ago. It was used when I got it. I live about 30 miles away from Oroville CA (Home of RCBS). About 5 years ago, the cord finally began to fray. Swung by RCBS, to see if they would put a new cord on it. They said give them an hour. Spent the time drooling over at Huntingtons and went back. The went ahead and replaced all the internals while they had it apart. Got to love that kind of support.

I might have to get the roller rod for my pro-melt.

I run a PID on mine and love it.

luis7
01-11-2016, 05:35 PM
157858 Hi. This is mine and I love it. Greetings from Espaņa.157859

luis7
01-11-2016, 05:46 PM

dikman
01-11-2016, 07:58 PM
Looks like someone found another use for heat-sink material :drinks:.

rototerrier
01-12-2016, 10:03 AM
It showed up yesterday!!! I put it together and the only thing that was of concern was with the mold guide. It is not at a perfect 90 and is somewhat of an issue with keeping the mold level. I called RCBS and they are sending me a new mold guide. I could probably bend this one, but shouldn't have to. Plus I really don't have a big vice to lock it in so I am not really sure if I could bend it or not. I'm sure I'll try once the replacement comes in. No reason to risk it right now.

It's definitely a nice piece of casting equipment. It is SOOO much easier to see the pours and manage the flow. I did try it a little using the built in dial and it wasn't nowhere near accurate enough for my liking. I immediately slapped the PID on there and started casting like crazy. The mold guide really isn't that bad. Relative to what I've been using, it's a massive improvement and I found it to be quite nice. I may upgrade eventually, but for now it's perfectly fine the way it is. Didn't have any issues with it.

My manufacture date tag on the front is blank. Anyone else ever see that? Is that typical. Do they maybe no longer stamp the date on them? Just curious. I should have asked RCBS while I was on the phone with them but it slipped my mind.

Le Loup Solitaire
01-14-2016, 12:22 AM
I bought mine in 1980. It had the date of mfg as 1978. Have used it continuously over the years mainly for 4 cavity molds. Has never leaked or acted up in any way. Has held temperatures as shown when compared to a thermometer. Have kept it clean with periodic emptying and lightly oiled where necessary. It was/is a well built pot and worth every invested cent. Highly recommend. LLS

hermans
01-14-2016, 01:00 AM
Mine was handed down to me from an old gentleman that taught me the basics of casting. It was still made by Ohaus....I think it could be 40 years old. Change the element once, and overhauled the on-off switch, has been going ever since! Love the idea of the Teflon roller, am going to make me one like that! Thanks for sharing!

Bagdadjoe
01-14-2016, 03:07 PM
And 10 years from now, you'll still be wondering why you waited 10 years. ;-)