PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Background Checks

Ken in Iowa
01-08-2016, 09:57 AM
Can any citizen call to get a check on a potential buyer, or is that only for FFL dealers?

stephen.rivera.351
01-08-2016, 10:04 AM
FFL only. Being that you're in Iowa, as am I, if I ever sell a weapon, any weapon, I simply ask for their permit to purchase or their CCW license. No, it's not required for long guns, but I won't sell a weapon to somebody I don't know without it.

mold maker
01-08-2016, 10:13 AM
So selling to me is out of the question?

Ken in Iowa
01-08-2016, 10:41 AM
FFL only. Being that you're in Iowa, as am I, if I ever sell a weapon, any weapon, I simply ask for their permit to purchase or their CCW license. No, it's not required for long guns, but I won't sell a weapon to somebody I don't know without it.

Welcome stephen!

I agree that is not a bad practice, but not an option in many states.

white eagle
01-08-2016, 11:33 AM
you don't need any ffl for private ftf sale in Wi. either
asking for ccp is a good option or just trust your instinct
about the buyers character. You have the option to walk away no sale.

Ken in Iowa
01-08-2016, 12:02 PM
The real point is this. With all the uproar over background checks, there is apparently no mechanism for an average citizen to do one, correct?

Recaster
01-08-2016, 12:23 PM
I wondered this very thing and also is there a way for me to be sure that I don't buy a stolen gun or one that has been used in the commission of a crime?

Mica_Hiebert
01-08-2016, 12:25 PM
you can usual walk in to a gun store with the buyer and for a fee usualy paid by the buyer, the gun store will have him fill out the yellow paper and do the nics check just like they where selling him the gun. as for stolen gun check I believe any one can call the sherifs office with serial number to check out a gun.

NavyVet1959
01-08-2016, 12:39 PM
When I'm buying a gun, I always do a bill of sale. It's not required, but I want it in case the seller or someone else decides to report it as stolen at some later date. Since I print out the bill of sale on my computer at home, I need at least some of the seller's personal information and the firearm serial number. I go to my local police department and have them run the serial numbers on the firearm in question to ensure it has not been reported stolen. Of course, that doesn't mean that it isn't stolen, but it helps. I also try to look up personal information on the person selling the firearm on the internet. Many cell phone numbers can be traced to the owner of the account on some sites and most people use their email addresses for more than just a single transaction, so often their is some sort of online footprint that can give you an idea about the individual. If you can guess what county they reside in, you might be able to look up their address on the county appraisal district's website. Plus, there's just *talking* with the individual. If the person sounds like one of the "urban youths" (i.e. gangbanger), I'm more likely to pass on the deal. To some, it might sound like I discriminate against Hispanics and Blacks, but that is not the case. I have bought at least one handgun from each over the years. They were NOT "urban youths" though. Most of the firearms that I have bought have been from old white guys like myself though, although a few from young guys in their 30s.

Walkingwolf
01-08-2016, 12:52 PM
Background checks are useless, they do not stop crime, or stop criminals from getting guns. Actually they are eligibility checks, they provide the person on the other end with no criminal history. The response is no, yes, or delayed, unlike a criminal history check the police dept runs, which prints out all the arrests, and convictions on record. Both will not stop a criminal from getting a gun, or keep you from getting burned with a hot gun. But with the bill of sale you will be protected from prosecution, but still out the bucks for the gun.

There are better places the govt could spend money than on worthless BC. They could actually keep criminals in prison longer, fund more deputies to serve the literally thousands of warrants for criminals that most counties are backed up with.

It is almost funny that we waste so much time, and money to try to convince criminals to be good by passing more laws.

Plus if the seller has never been convicted of a crime, and they are selling a hot gun, they will pass a background check. A criminal has to get caught before they are labeled a criminal, and most of us know how that works. When they get caught it is highly unlikely it is their first crime.

Fishman
01-09-2016, 10:32 AM
I do wish there was a way to check if a particular gun is stolen. Typing in a serial number with no other identifying info for the buyer or seller would be acceptable to me. The seller may not know the gun was stolen in the past before they acquired it.

The reason it is a concern for gun owners is that if you inadvertently obtain a stolen gun and it is identified in a subsequent trade or sale you conduct, it opens you up for a visit from the local police at the very least. Sometimes those don't go well.

10-x
01-09-2016, 10:45 AM
Any firearm I sell or have sold, always ask to see CCW, drivers license and car insurance to check address. Write a carbon copy receipt with date, serial number and description. Write on bottom," Checked CCW, D.L. and vehicle insurance card. Never had a problem, in state of course and only firearms Son or Grandsons don't want.

MrWolf
01-09-2016, 10:48 AM
In NJ we can only do a FTF on long guns with an eligible person. I also do a receipt detailing buyers, name, address, Firearm ID number (making sure address matches drivers license) and a description of the firearm with serial number. As Walkingwolf stated, background checks are only eligibility checks and are almost worthless.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-09-2016, 10:56 AM
In Minnesota, I believe the same form you fill out at the city Police station/sheriff's Office for a permit to purchase, has an area for firearm transfers. I'd suspect there is no fee involved.

waksupi
01-09-2016, 11:26 AM
I do wish there was a way to check if a particular gun is stolen. Typing in a serial number with no other identifying info for the buyer or seller would be acceptable to me. The seller may not know the gun was stolen in the past before they acquired it.

The reason it is a concern for gun owners is that if you inadvertently obtain a stolen gun and it is identified in a subsequent trade or sale you conduct, it opens you up for a visit from the local police at the very least. Sometimes those don't go well.

Just checking by serial number can raise problems. A friend as coming over the border, and the Border Patrol cross matched a pistol reported stolen in Texas. The thing was, the pistol listed as stolen was a 9mm semi, while what he had was a first generation Colt.
He was tied up at the border for a quite awhile before the agent in charge came out to see what was going on. He looked at the paperwork, looked at the gun, told the agents they were stupid, and cut my friend loose.
As things happened, the AIC is now a good friend of all of our local shooting group, as he is also a collector and shooter.

starmac
01-09-2016, 11:54 AM
I generally for a personal sale require exactly what the law requires, in this state that happens to be some form of greenbacks. But I seldom sell one, if buying from a private person and they want things like my address, I will just keep that green stuff in my pocket.

wv109323
01-09-2016, 12:07 PM
That is the whole thing to Control people. A transaction must go through an FFL. Then the government makes it extra tough on small FFL dealers and honest people can't transfer a gun easily and without significant expense.

nicholst55
01-09-2016, 12:46 PM
IMHO their short-term goal is to require that ALL sales require a background check, which the FBI will only do for FFLs. They will refuse to issue FFLs to people who only do onesies and twosies, and force you to take the transaction to a 'brick-n'mortar' gun shop, effectively eliminating private sales. Then, they will continue thier long term goal of criminalizing and putting existing FFLs out of business and/or in jail, until one simply cannot LEGALLY buy a gun anywhere. Mission accomplished.

Idz
01-09-2016, 01:05 PM
The real goal is to require everybody to go through a FFL and 4473. That pushes up the cost and makes it more inconvenient. Plus the fed gets the serial # and owner registered on the 4473. Once they have everything registered and owners identified the fed is ready for the next step of levying hefty taxes and finally confiscation.

bob208
01-09-2016, 04:34 PM
al this back round B.S. has it stopped a crime yet? on the news every night some teen is shooting some one. where is the age limit? or the shooter is a convicted felon or wanted on gun charges. where is the back round check. just where are the guns coming from. can not be that many stolen or straw bought. I say there is some one or agency supplying to the criminals.

marlin39a
01-10-2016, 10:55 AM
I have invested in quality firearms all my life. I have been selling some now that I am retired to boost my income. Am I to believe that I can no longer sell my private property without becoming a criminal?

NavyVet1959
01-10-2016, 11:21 AM
I have invested in quality firearms all my life. I have been selling some now that I am retired to boost my income. Am I to believe that I can no longer sell my private property without becoming a criminal?

Well, the US government does have a record of declaring the ownership of certain private property as illegal and then liberating said property from the owners.

dtknowles
01-10-2016, 11:23 AM
Do background checks stop all criminals, no, do they stop some, probably, do they make it harder for criminals, certainly and more costly. Are they worth the cost, can't really say. Do 4473 and background checks amount to registration, not if the government follows the law.

If you want to be careful about who you sell too, you can do background checks without the FBI. Employers do it all the time, it cost as much or more than using an FFL. We can do FTF here without FFL but I would hesitate to advertise a gun for sale in the classifieds online or Paper if I had to give personally identifiable info. Gunbroker is fairly anonymous.

The cost of background check plus shipping had kept me from bidding on some stuff online.

Tim

dtknowles
01-10-2016, 11:31 AM

Not if you use an FFL for most of the deals. Selling guns to boost your income is clearly putting yourself in the business and that requires an FFL.

Imagine that I bought a bunch of 1911, Glocks, AR's and AK like maybe 20 or 30 of each as an investment and when I retired I wanted to sell them to have money to live on. The Feds are going to consider this being a dealer.

Tim

NavyVet1959
01-10-2016, 11:44 AM
It doesn't seem like that many years ago when it was common to see a section in the newspaper personal ads for sporting goods and to see quite a few ads for firearms for sale by private individuals. Probably a couple of decades, come to think of it. These days, the newspapers won't even accept a private firearms ad around here. I can remember when it was not uncommon to see an ad for a individual selling a rifle on the bulletin board at the local supermarket. You don't see that anymore either...

Artful
01-10-2016, 01:34 PM
Not if you use an FFL for most of the deals. Selling guns to boost your income is clearly putting yourself in the business and that requires an FFL.

Imagine that I bought a bunch of 1911, Glocks, AR's and AK like maybe 20 or 30 of each as an investment and when I retired I wanted to sell them to have money to live on. The Feds are going to consider this being a dealer.

Tim

NOT if they follow the law -
https://www.atf.gov/file/100871/download

 As a general rule, you will need a license if you repetitively buy andsell firearms with the principal motive of making a profit. In contrast,if you only make occasional sales of firearms from your personalcollection, you do not need to be licensed.

dtknowles
01-10-2016, 02:38 PM
NOT if they follow the law -
https://www.atf.gov/file/100871/download

You are right about that, from your link the following is allowed without a license
"who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms.”

So it would seem that my example would be legal but I would not want to have to go to court to prove it.

Thanks

Tim

Walkingwolf
01-10-2016, 03:02 PM
al this back round B.S. has it stopped a crime yet? on the news every night some teen is shooting some one. where is the age limit? or the shooter is a convicted felon or wanted on gun charges. where is the back round check. just where are the guns coming from. can not be that many stolen or straw bought. I say there is some one or agency supplying to the criminals.

I think a better question is where are the criminals coming from, particularly those with a record that would be denied a gun if the system worked.

If they want more safety from violence, gun violence then the answer is easy. KEEP them in jail!

As it is now most felons serve less than half of their sentence. Then the feds want to spend billions to put them back in prison. Something does not seem right with this.

10-x
01-10-2016, 06:35 PM
No deterant to continue a life of crime is the problem. All the criminal (S) have rights is the problem. The legal system per our founding fathers established took away ones" right" when they were convicted by a jury of their fellow citizens of said crime. Need to look at all the lawyers, judges and D.A.'S, Prosecutors et al that make a deal for the crooks. When and where was the last prison work farm or chain gang you've seen? Commit the crime, do the time. Hard labor, 5-5, a few hours of education and to bed. Inmates would be to darn tired to want to fight and sooner or later they will learn a useful skill for society and maybe get out. Otherwise it would be a hard life till they died.

starmac
01-11-2016, 02:42 AM
It doesn't seem like that many years ago when it was common to see a section in the newspaper personal ads for sporting goods and to see quite a few ads for firearms for sale by private individuals. Probably a couple of decades, come to think of it. These days, the newspapers won't even accept a private firearms ad around here. I can remember when it was not uncommon to see an ad for a individual selling a rifle on the bulletin board at the local supermarket. You don't see that anymore either...

Guns on pretty much any bulletin board at every store that has one here.
several pages of guns on at least two online classified sites here. They show up on craigslist pretty regularly, but unless the seller gets creative in the ad they will get flagged pretty quick.
Free personal adds for firearms are allowed on at least 2 of our local radio shows too. I would say it is a regional thing.