PDA

View Full Version : Trying something different for gun lube

abunaitoo
01-08-2016, 04:33 AM
I have a old Win 63. Great firearm. When it's clean.
Problem is it get so dirty from fouling, that it just won't function.
Takes forever to clean it.
I tried it without lube/grease, it just won't work.
Last time I took it apart to clean, I sprayed all the parts with a garage door lube.
Sprays on wet, and dries in an hour or so.
A locksmith lady told me to try it. She will use nothing else in locks.
So far I haven't had to take it apart to clean.
All I do is open it up and spray it with air from my compressor.
Most of the fouling flies out.
Done.
Seems to function better to me.
I don't think I'll do it on a center fire, but in a .22, I don't think it would hurt anything.

bedbugbilly
01-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Ahhhhhh . . . the Winchester Model 63! What a great rifle! My Dad bought one in about 1956 or 1957 from a gun shop that's about twenty miles from where we live. When we were kids, it always was in the glass front gun case . . but we were smIart enough to never take it out hunting as it was "Dad's gun - hands off!". LOL When he bought it, it came with a Weaver Scope on it. My Dad passed twenty years ago and my mother ten years ago. When we settled the estate, my brother and I divided up the guns. I let him have most of them as he hunts, I don't anymore. BUT . . . I did take Dad's Model 63 as it had great sentimental value for me. Honestly, I don't think the rifle has had more than maybe 300 - 400 rounds shot from it. I treasure it . . . but still feel a little "guilty" when I handle it as it is still l"Dad's gun". Silly I know . . but just can't shake that feeling. Had Dad lived, he'd be 107 this year. I keep it well old and taken care of. We don't have children but I have an individual all picked out that this will go to as I know he'll treasure the rifle as much as I do just because it was my Dad's. Funny thing . . . I still go to the same gun shop . . . just bought a like new Winchester 94 30/30 Ranger there last week to play with.

I've never used that lube on guns but have for many other things . . just never thought about it . . . should work great for such things as you describe.

Enjoy that Model 63 . . . they just don't make 'em like that anymore!

LUBEDUDE
01-08-2016, 02:58 PM
I've used various dry lubes for years.

In my experience it is only effective for about 75-80 rounds in guns with average tolerances.

In a gun with tight tolerances like a Rohrbaugh, maybe a mag or two.

foesgth
01-08-2016, 04:16 PM
I ran a search on Amazon and come up with either white lithium grease or a dry silicon lube. Could you give us a part #or name of what you are using? I would like to try it on a 10-22.

xs11jack
01-08-2016, 08:31 PM
Yea, I would like to get the name too. I have an old can of motorcycle chain lube that a garage door repairman told me to spray on my garage door springs. He said that it will last for a long time because it has wax in it and does not come off easily. This keeps the door spring from breaking.
Ole Jack

popper
01-08-2016, 10:36 PM
Dad used some kind of spray wax on all his tools to keep the rust off, which is why we spray those springs - they absorb water and rust inside causing the break - high carbon spring steel. I use CLP on my 22lrs.
I'm going to try the ECO AC oil Gear came up with on my ARs, works great as mould lube. Easier to apply than lith grease.

David2011
01-08-2016, 11:33 PM
Both of the cans of garage door lube I have are silicone sprays. I would prefer something with more body but I don't have a Model 63.

David

abunaitoo
01-09-2016, 04:54 AM
This is the one I used.

bedbugbilly
01-09-2016, 03:32 PM
Thinking about this post last night got me to wondering . . .

Back in the '60s, a lubricant came out called "Dri Slide". I did some googling and this was made by Bux - called "Dri Slide" - had a Molybdenum Disulfide Base according to the "vintage" cans I found listed on fleabay. If I remember correctly, this lube was a suspended graphite solution - you had to shake the can.

At the time . . . I remember that some of those in Viet Nam were crying out for it as it worked for them . . but the "guvment" didn't see the need to issue it? I can remember we picked up a number of cans of it from a friend's sporting goods store and sent them to some we knew who were in Nam doing their tour. I used it on our hunting guns and it always performed well.

Maybe technology came along with something better but does anyone know when this stopped being made? We not only used it on guns but on padlocks, etc. on the farm. Seemed like it was pretty popular at the time but "disappeared" somewhere along the line? I know I haven't seen it in years.

jcwit
01-09-2016, 03:42 PM
It's still out there. Check here. Available at Amazon.

http://www.drislide.com/

jcwit
01-09-2016, 03:43 PM
BTW, YES, it is excellent!