PDA

View Full Version : Must be spring, robins are here.

rond
01-07-2016, 11:17 AM

geargnasher
01-07-2016, 02:55 PM
Must be winter, the robins are here, too. Not many cedar waxwings, though, they usually travel together. Winter came very late and not with the usual string of blustery, blue northers, so the migratory birds are a little confused. Haven't seen normal robin migrations here in many years.

Gear

xs11jack
01-08-2016, 08:51 PM
It gets down to freezing here lately but the last couple of days there have been robins here too. And some tufted titmouses. It is supposed to snow here tomorrow so I hope the robins are gone by then.
Ole Jack

quilbilly
01-08-2016, 09:18 PM
Not here yet but it is time for me to get out in the woods to tap our maples to make maple syrup. Our "sugaring time" starts earlier here and ends about the time everyone else is just getting started in the NE U.S. My wife says she wants the syrup thicker this year so I will have to watch the boiling a little closer.

leeggen
01-08-2016, 10:12 PM
Been watching the sandhill cranes and the geese fling over around here. No robins yet.
CD

marlin39a
01-09-2016, 08:52 AM
Hiked into a canyon last week by the Verde River looking at deer sign. Came across a huge flock of Robins by the water. They winter there.

chsparkman
01-09-2016, 09:16 AM
I was in Washington DC last month walking the monuments. We came across a small orchard of cherry trees that were actually blossoming. Weather is confusing here this year.

Maven
01-09-2016, 10:24 AM
Robins were eating the dried choke cherries on the tree in my front yard yesterday, but they're a few weeks earlier than usual.

xs11jack
01-09-2016, 09:10 PM
Well, here it is Saturday and it snowed an inch or so of really slushy, heavy snow. I haven't seen any robins so I don't know if they left or are hunkered down for awhile. It's supposed to get down to about 6 or 8 degrees tonight or tomorrow. I wonder if I bought some wax or meal worms it the other birds would eat them up be for the robins found them. Then again maybe the robins would become dependent and not go south.
Ole Jack