PDA

View Full Version : good day at the range...44 mag match

mike in co
04-20-2008, 05:54 PM
my home club has a magnum handgun match once a month and we have recently added mag carbines as a side match.
i have described this match before but here it is again.
three pistol stages:
STAGE ONE: six shots, fifty yards any sights, any handgun, three large(12") steel targets and two 6" plates. time 25 seconds. any hangun is a joke....the 12" targets are about 36" TALL, WITH a 12 circle about 6" down from the top of an 8 " wide post. here is the fun part ...they lean FORWARD ABOUT 10 DEGREES! AND are heavy steel targets. no a 357 mag will not knock them down, hot 41 mag on the top will, 44mag is the normal load with 250-300 gr boolits. ( then shot in 20,15 and finally 10 sec). 28 points available, a typical winning score is 16-22( 1 pt per large target, 2 for the small).

STAGE TWO: two shooters shoot against two shooters to knock down 5 large and one small target per team. double elimination. teams are random from the top half shooters paired with a bottom half shooter. six shoots per shooter/12 per team, winning teams often win with only 5 targets down.

STAGE THREE: shooting against the clock,single teams from above tackle all twelve targets. required to shoot one small, 10 large, and finish with one small target. reloads required.....typically 24 to 30 shoots, low 40's seconds for a win.....some teams will do 60 plus seconds with 50 plus shots to complete the stage.

STAGE FOUR: is stage one shot with leverguns, iron sights peeps allowed. new match, no history.

ok, i normally shoot mid pack, i hate revolvers but this match is a blast. i do not practice, just load and shoot on match day.
i shot mid pack in stage one(6 of 16,9 points,winner had 16 points), mid pack in stage two(4th of 6 teams), and shoot out of my league in stage three. the leaders had shot 41 seconds with 26 shoots, second place was 47 secs/24 shots,........we shot 18 shots and 36 seconds! i fired 11 shots and took down 9 of the 12 targets......including the first and last small targets.
i came in second in the carbine match.

i took home money in three of four matches;the bad news is i'm gonna be in vegas for next months match( gambling with thier money..lol). you cannot wipe the smile off my face today!

mike in co
this was with the group buy 290 434 boolit

TCLouis
04-20-2008, 10:48 PM
I wish we had some fun kinda shootin like that around here.

Some High power matches, IDPA, Cowboy action is about all that there is!

runfiverun
04-21-2008, 12:52 AM
our matches consist of
1. see that rock up there and
2. not that one THAT one.

mike in co
04-21-2008, 10:11 AM
our range has been around for over 50 years. lots of shotgunning, 3gun, ipsc, a little cowboy, four mil rifle matches , nra action pistol, blackpowder, 22 rifle ........
we are now close to the city but have an air force air strip as a buffer and a grandfather clause that new neightbors cannot close us down, we were there first.

10-12 min from my house....

and yes i'm still smiling!

mike in co