PDA

View Full Version : using a tow bar

wgr
01-06-2016, 05:31 PM
guys i going from using a car dolly to a tow bar. never used a tow bar befor any hints. like doyou lock the stering are leave the key on acc

rockrat
01-06-2016, 06:39 PM
Turn the key far enough to unlock the steering wheel, but not so far as to acc. You will drain your battery that way. If you have a car with a "chip" in the key, go to a locksmith and get a key cut without the chip, that way, by some chance, when you are stopped for fuel,bathroom break, ect, you don't have to worry about your car being broken into and being stolen. Might start, but will die pretty quickly.

wgr
01-06-2016, 06:45 PM
ill be towing a 4wd every thing goes into nutural . i just tired of the hassle with a dolly

Artful
01-06-2016, 07:11 PM
Do you have turnable hubs on all 4 wheels to save wear on the drive train?

possom813
01-06-2016, 07:14 PM
I seem to recall that a guy on my dad's lease towed his jeep with towbar. He would stick a bungee on the steering wheel and down to a hook under the seat(or maybe the seat). He said if he didn't then when he turned a corner the steering would stick and he'd have to get out and straighten the jeep back up.

The jeep had to be an ancient model. I remember there was no top, and it rode like a bulldozer. But I was a pre-teen at the time and got to drive it every now and again, so it was awesome [smilie=w:

wgr
01-06-2016, 07:29 PM
Do you have turnable hubs on all 4 wheels to save wear on the drive train?everything can just be put in nutural

jmorris
01-06-2016, 07:33 PM
The steering needs to be unlocked it will turn as you turn the tow vehicle to follow it. If you lock it, it will be scrubbing the tires at least before it breaks the steering lock.

lancem
01-06-2016, 07:54 PM
in some states you are required to have working brakes on the towed vehicle. I was going to use a tow bar when I moved but after I looked into what I would have to do to comply with many state's laws I went another way.

rockrat
01-06-2016, 08:41 PM
I have a jeep. I just put the transfer case in neutral and leave the auto trans in park. Thats what it calls for in the manual

leeggen
01-06-2016, 09:29 PM
As long as you have a standard shift just put both shifters in to nuetral , if it is an automatic take it to a dealer and make sure that the transmision oil pump will pump oil while it is in nuetral. Sometime you need to have a special kit installed to make it do so.
CD

Artful
01-06-2016, 09:38 PM
everything can just be put in nutural

When the rear wheels turn it drives the differential - which drives the drive shaft - which spins the gears in the transfer case - same thing in the front if you don't have hubs to free wheel - check your owners manual as lots of them have instructions when towing to disconnect the drive line. - just my experience - yours may veri

historicfirearms
01-06-2016, 09:53 PM
I towbared my old bronco across the country once. I unlocked the hubs, and put the manual transmission and transfer case in neutral. Somewhere around Denver my rear driveshaft blew out. After getting home and having a new driveshaft made, I found out my transmission was ruined. Come to find out I should have left the trans in gear, or probably better removed driveshafts. I did have to put a bungie on the steering wheel to help hold the wheels straight.

wgr
01-06-2016, 10:22 PM
i know what the factory says there is a way to put everything in nutural. so ill try that. ive done it and the truck will roll (free wheel)so i know the trains. and tranfer case are in nutrual. its all electric

starmac
01-06-2016, 11:30 PM
HAving used both quite a bit, I prefer the dolly over a towbar anyday.

Bullwolf
01-07-2016, 02:05 AM
ill be towing a 4wd every thing goes into nutural . i just tired of the hassle with a dolly

I blew the auto trans in my '75 4x4 Blazer towing it with a tow bar - Adding insult to injury after my wife had blown the head gasket far away from home. I think paying for the tow would have been cheaper looking back now.

Had a buddy come out with his Toyota Land Cruiser and we towed it back home using a tow bar. I rode behind him in the Blazer both steering, and braking as a backup without the engine running. Probably quite illegal today, but this was many years ago, back when you didn't have to wear a seat belt, and could ride in the back of a truck, without someone having a coronary.

Some automatic transmission 4x4's really don't like to be towed with out the engine/trans pumping. I'd check with the manufacturer first before you do it, just to be safe

You can put a lot of extra wear and tear on the drive train of a vehicle like a Jeep just by towing it behind an RV.

Once I thought I got a great deal on a vehicle that spent it's life being towed behind a RV. It looked to be in really good condition, other than the high odometer reading. I had nothing but drive train problems and regrets from that purchase.

- Bullwolf

Lloyd Smale
01-07-2016, 08:21 AM
just turn the key all the way to unlock the steering wheel and then disconnect the battery.
guys i going from using a car dolly to a tow bar. never used a tow bar befor any hints. like doyou lock the stering are leave the key on acc

jmorris
01-07-2016, 09:33 AM
The Powerglide automatic transmission was the last one that I know of that had one pump driven by the torque converter (like every other auto transmission) and one driven by the drive shaft.

The rear pump allowed people with automatic transmissions to still be able to push or pull start them like one can with a manual transmission, back in the days when this was much more common. These days manual transmissions are fairly rare in cars and trucks but you can push a button in them and help is on the way...

rond
01-07-2016, 10:58 AM
I tow my jeep behind the MH, just put transfer case in netural. The hitch for towbar needs to be above the point the towbar attaches to jeep to keep it from trying to flip forward when braking. You can not back up when towing with a towbar, the wheels will turn on the jeep and jackknife.

starmac
01-08-2016, 12:07 AM
Push start a powerglide, not any that I had. I had a lenco 2 speed you could push start, some older auto's could be push started. I don't know when powerglides first came out, but by 67, you could not push start them.

DougGuy
01-08-2016, 12:48 AM
If it's a Blazer or a Jimmy, 3 or 4 button 4WD on the dash, there is a sequence you use to put the transfer case in neutral and it flashes a code to you when it's in neutral and it is safe to tow it then, no damage will happen. Steering unlocked of course. No need to pull driveshaft or anything else. Have to re-engage the transfer case to drive it once you are done towing.

If you can't find it in the manual google it, this info is all over youtube.

I have a towbar that came off ebay, I fitted it with 4x safety chains and used quicklinks to attach the chains. It had two mounts that I drilled 1/2" holes through the bumper and used grade 8 bolts, locks, and hex nuts to attach the mounts, and the towbar had two lynch pins that slid into the mounts to attach it. It was foolproof and worked VERY well. I sold the vehicle I had towed with it, and I used to see it around town with those two mounts still bolted to the bumper! LOL Dummy me forgot to get them off! Oh well, I got a welding shop I can make new ones..