PDA

View Full Version : New 420 pro bottom pour

melloairman
01-06-2016, 02:36 PM
Replaced one of my old pots . Lubed the linkage with anti seize . Filled it up with lead , plugged it in . Drained the entire pot through a Lee 452 mold and it never dripped a single drop of lead . I notice that the handle and linkage have been changed . Hope this continues . Marvin

Yodogsandman
01-06-2016, 10:31 PM
Any photos of the new pot?

melloairman
01-06-2016, 10:37 PM
No . It has been a while since they changed the handle to a heavy metal one as well as the rod and linkage . Any add should show you . My pots are over 8 years old and used almost daily . Marvin

Drew P
01-07-2016, 02:08 AM
You cast almost daily for 8 years!? How many boolits do you have!?

krems
01-07-2016, 02:15 AM
Looks like a nice change for the Lee 20 pound pot. I can't remember the last time my pot didn't drip a little.

shoot-n-lead
01-07-2016, 02:25 AM
Mine 4/20 pots have never dripped...that must really be an exception based on what everyone says.

melloairman
01-07-2016, 04:12 PM
You cast almost daily for 8 years!? How many boolits do you have!?
I shoot any were from 150 -300 shoots almost every day as well . Air rifles no powder , primers , brass , or reloading . I ran about a half a pot of lead through it today with not a drip as well to my surprise . I did note that with the heavy metal nob mounted as far away from the pot as it is . Seems to make the linkage slid on the down spout on the out side of the spout . Not allowing the bottom of the linkage to move around much . Hope this continues and if so I might buy the new linkage for my other pot . Marvin

rototerrier
01-07-2016, 04:19 PM
Mine dripped until I took it apart and put some lapping compound down in the hole. Put the rod in a drill and spun it. The lapping compound and drill method got everything meshed up a little better and the dripping stopped.

melloairman
01-07-2016, 10:39 PM
Mine dripped until I took it apart and put some lapping compound down in the hole. Put the rod in a drill and spun it. The lapping compound and drill method got everything meshed up a little better and the dripping stopped.
I have had to do that with my old pots as well . I had two of the old style pots . One I used to smelt range lead in and now have over 5 tons of clean lead from it . Have replace the heater coil and switch . And just put in a new spout and cleaned the rod again . The one I casted with is the one I replaced . Had done the same with it . But this time it would not heat up again . Found a bad wire under the cover by the switch . Then I checked the cord after it still would not get hot and it had a break in it according to the ohm meter . The panels were getting worn a lot from being removed several times . Saw a new pot on amazon for about $60.00 and hit the place order button . Marvin

Drew P
01-10-2016, 12:57 PM
Well the drip made me insane so I finally rebuilt the entire system with a new rod, guide plate and knob. Now I have to lift directly up on the rod. Works great. I wonder why they use a weight instead of a spring to close the valve. My reach is a little farther now but I don't care because it's much less drip and if it does drop I can spin the rod easily with my hand because it's not threaded anymore.

dikman
01-10-2016, 07:58 PM
I modded mine to use the same handle as the RCBS pot. The handle has a weight on the end, but like Drew I also fitted a spring. I still get the occasional little drip, but not very often and the handle works much better than Lee's design.

melloairman
01-10-2016, 10:55 PM
May be I hit the jack pot this time . I have used it every day since I posted . Today I had one drip . I twisted the screw about a 1/2 turn then set it back to were I had it and that put a stop to it . My older style pots were never this good . Several months ago I started to pour out the last of the lead from the pot then blow air through the spout from the bottom back up to the pot which seemed to help keep things from dripping . I did read the directions which have changed . They stated that if lead was left in the pot after use . That the next time the pot was used it would more than likely drip . Marvin

44magLeo
01-16-2016, 03:37 PM
On my Lee 4-20 it dripped a bit. I made up a lead washer about 1 inch in diameter, 3/8 inch thick with a center hole just big enough to slide on the bolt where the knob screwed on. Unscrewed the knob, slid on the washer, screwed knob back on. This extra weight helps seal the nozzle so no leaks.
Leo