PDA

View Full Version : Back in the Saddle....after 32 Years!

tarbe
04-20-2008, 10:07 AM
I started casting boolits at the ripe old age of 17. Some time during my 4 year enlistment in the Marines I lost my way and went to store bought only. I thought I didn't have time for casting.

Now time is even more precious, but I am back in the fold!

My son and I spent some time last night out in the driveway smelting linotype into ingots (I wonder what my yuppie neighbors thought?). Tonight we will do the same with 50 lbs of wheel weights.

Here's the kicker...while smelting the lino we couldn't resist pouring a couple bullets, just for the heck of it. I used straight lino some in the old days and figured this could be a real interest booster for the boy (not that he really needed any encouraging!).

I heated up the mold in the pot for a couple minutes and we poured 6 boolits. The first two came out very slightly wrinkled. The next 4 came out looking like a million bucks and the scale has them at 285.0, 284.9, 284.7 and 284.7 (this is the 300gr Lee).

We will be casting primarily for a RBH 45LC. Fortunately the throats on this gun are .452, so I should be able to put together a decent load.

Anyway, I am glad to be here, glad to have some alloy in my garage, glad to have a boy to shoot, load and now cast with, glad to live in the best country on earth.

Thanks for all the good reading here, and thanks for the civil tone. And thanks for letting me share my re-entry to boolit making! I am looking forward to all the experimentation!

Tim

beagle
04-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Glad to have you back and in the saddle again. I spent 23 years in the Army and sometimes I was out of casting for years but never gave it up entirely.

When I retired, I got back into it in a big manner and haven't ceased since.

What amazed me after the "dry" spells was the progress in technology. It's increasing by leaps and bounds. Sure, you're still pouring lead but the mould, furnaces and sizing equipment have progressed so far.

Sure hope the liberals don mess it up for us./beagle

tarbe
04-20-2008, 06:35 PM
It seems like we sure have a lot more lube choices...including this "new-fangled" (to me anyway!) tumble lube.

We've got about 50 lbs of wheel weight ingots now to go with about 30 lbs of lino ingots. I think I might mix these 3:1 WW to lino and see how it works. Might even give that tumble lube a try :Fire:

Tim

Alchemist
04-20-2008, 06:42 PM
tarbe,

Welcome from another recent returnee! I hadn't cast a boolit since 1997 till about a month ago. Now the itch is greater than ever. My OCD for lead scrounging is back with a vengeance as well. :-D

I probably have close to 1/2 ton of WWs/linotype in my garage...but must find more! :twisted:

It's great that your son is into casting with you! My son never seemed interested in loading, although he does love to shoot.

Hey beagle,

Ever hear of a liberal who didn't live to cause grief to anything related to guns/shooting/hunting, etc.? Wish it wasn't so......

Cheers :drinks:

Alchemist

tarbe
04-20-2008, 08:20 PM
tarbe,

I probably have close to 1/2 ton of WWs/linotype in my garage...but must find more! :twisted:

Alchemist

:o

If I can't find any more, at least I'll know why!

Actually, the places I have tried around Houston (chain stores) have all said no deal...they recycle the WW back to their supplier.

I think I will need to find a mom & pop out in the country to buy from.

My son likes to load too. Now I just need to get him excited about cleaning guns.

Tim

Buckshot
04-20-2008, 11:18 PM
...........Tarbe, welcome aboard and back into the fold amongst the true believers.

...............Buckshot

tarbe
04-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Yes Mr. Buckshot...I was a heretic for a time, straying from the true light.

But I have been drawn back by the irresitable beauty of molten lead alloy.

May I never backslide again!

Your prodigal brother in Pb,

Tim

theperfessor
04-21-2008, 07:59 PM
tarbe-

Thanks for being a marine and serving this country. Good luck with your casting efforts. Everybody here will help you out when needed.

And thanks to all you other service members on the forum. You have my respect and admiration.

willwork4ww
04-23-2008, 05:36 AM
Hell, I had to learn to cast in the Marine Corps, because they didn't pay enough to keep me shooting FLGC's. Make sure you open the throats on that BH to match or slightly exceed groove diameter, I guarantee they're undersized.

tarbe
04-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Hell, I had to learn to cast in the Marine Corps, because they didn't pay enough to keep me shooting FLGC's. Make sure you open the throats on that BH to match or slightly exceed groove diameter, I guarantee they're undersized.

Mine is a late model and they are .452 to .4525. :-D