PDA

View Full Version : Now I know what all the fuss is is about

xd45forever
01-02-2016, 05:05 PM
Got the PID my son built all hooked up and tuned in all I can say is what a huge difference it made! Also got my NOE 453-213RF dropping HPs with no more than a shake! Nice shiny flawless boolits consistently!

blikseme300
01-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Consistent is the key to many things. Not having to worry about the alloy temperature allows us to cast better CB's. My first PID setup was built to allow my home built casting setup to work and I have never regretted the cost of the unit.

Your son did you a favor.

xd45forever
01-02-2016, 08:39 PM
I noticed a long time ago that the quality of my casting would go in surges I tried playing with the heat to compensate to no avail then I tried changing cadence but again to no avail ! Now once everything is up to temp I find the cadence that works and the fun begins!

Doc Highwall
01-02-2016, 08:50 PM
Now get yourself a hot plate to preheat the mould and some extra ingots while the pot is heating up. After I installed my PID, I stuck the old pot thermometer into a piece of aluminum flat stock that lays on top of the hot plate.

Retumbo
01-02-2016, 08:54 PM
I even built one for my smoker

xd45forever
01-02-2016, 09:52 PM
This one is set up so I can use it on just about anything just get a different thermocouple I'm sure I wouldn't want to use a lead voted probe in the smoker! Lol and we plan on using it for making beer!

hickfu
01-05-2016, 12:16 AM
How much is a PID and where can I get one.
I would try to build one but I suffer from severe Fibromyalgia so my hands just cant handle a lot of things now a days. Casting is going to be hard from now on...

Maybe I can get my son to buy me one :)

dragon813gt
01-05-2016, 10:33 AM
This one is set up so I can use it on just about anything just get a different thermocouple I'm sure I wouldn't want to use a lead voted probe in the smoker! Lol and we plan on using it for making beer!

Fair warning, each device you use it on will require different P, I and D values. It's not that you can't use the PID on them. But each load is individual. I use my PID on a smoker as well but I have the values written down and manually change them when switching back and forth.

Jtarm
01-10-2016, 10:39 PM
How much is a PID and where can I get one.
I would try to build one but I suffer from severe Fibromyalgia so my hands just cant handle a lot of things now a days. Casting is going to be hard from now on...

Maybe I can get my son to buy me one :)

Forum member mgread can build one for you.

Walter Laich
01-11-2016, 12:14 PM
I even built one for my powder coating oven. Keep temp within one degree--perfect for this application, too