PDA

View Full Version : 3rd attempt at powder coating... Even more success!

exdxgxe4life
01-01-2016, 11:27 PM
Feel free to check my posting history if you care to know the history of my issues with powder coating.

These pictures are of my third attempt. I went back to basics and shook them with the ol cool whip container. Much better (not perfect) coverage and consistently.

My only issue is that many of the boolits have one maybe two "flakes" missing. Many have suggested smoke's powder, but I'm not too worried because I'm sure when I tumble lube I have dry spots as well.

Hopefully you can see better and more consistent coverage on the four boolits on the left as compared to the two on the right which were tumbled.

Thanks for everyone's input! Here's to striving for perfection, on a budget.

Eddie17
01-01-2016, 11:35 PM
Looks good for HF red. I've loaded similar to these, culled the ones with missing areas of coating.
Smokes PC powders are far and above HF!

Eddie17
01-01-2016, 11:38 PM
Load and shoot!
Then move on with results!

scottfire1957
01-02-2016, 02:23 AM
Load and shoot!
Then move on with results!

Yep. The only place PC counts, as I've read on this forum, is the bands. The man that figures a way to only coat and cure the bands will be an immortal.

Load em, shoot em.

rancher1913
01-02-2016, 11:06 AM
your getting better, it just takes a little practice. mine are almost as good as beagles now days and I keep refining my process.

DrDucati
01-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Yep. The only place PC counts, as I've read on this forum, is the bands. The man that figures a way to only coat and cure the bands will be an immortal.

Load em, shoot em.maybe pan lube, wipe off excess, place nose down in tray, coat, cure. I'm getting older, that immortality prize is starting to look good.

bangerjim
01-02-2016, 12:56 PM
It takes practice. And lots of trial and error. The OP's title was "3rd attempt"! OMG!!!!!! I lost count of the numbers of failures I had starting out several years ago when we started doing this. I would have had probably 60 threads with that subject line.

Unfortunately people today, due to the internet, have that " I want it NOW!" syndrome. PC does not happen the 1st or even the 25th try, especially BBDT.

Just keep trying, adjusting the many variables ONE AT AT TIME (!) until you start getting acceptable coatings.

BTW.......I get 100% coverage (nose, bands, grooves, base...even with HF red!) every time with BBDT.....now that I have played around with it and figured out what works for ME.....not others. I can list everything I do (and have countless times on here) but that may no work for you.

Just keep at it.......and do not keep a count of failures. Thomas Edison found several thousand ways NOT to make a light bulb.

bangerjim