PDA

View Full Version : A "home invasion" thwarted . . . I was lucky

bedbugbilly
01-01-2016, 04:07 PM
I just wanted to pass along an experience I had the week before Christmas and perhaps it will get others "thinking" about such things and what "could be".

My wife and I live in a small two bedroom ranch style house that we built on the back of the farm 40 years ago. It sits back from the road and has what some would consider a "long driveway" - but the house is still visible on the hill it sits on from the road.

We are "creatures of habit". We both are retired and live here with our two little dogs - my 10 pound poodle and her 20 pound poodle/bichen mix. They are our "kids". On Mondays, she goes grocery shopping and I usually stay home. I have a room in the basement where I do my reloading, leatherwork, etc.

My wife went shopping the Monday before Christmas. I went to the basement to do some things and as usual, the two dogs went to their beds to lay down in the sunroom off our garage to await her return. About an hour after my wife had left, I became aware of the dogs barking upstairs - they are very good about this when anybody comes to the house. Hmmm, I thought. It's not time for her to be back yet. So, I went upstairs to see what was going on. I found the dogs looking out the window on to the deck that we use for an entrance at the end of the sunroom. I walked over and there was a small sedan parked up by our garage Which is attached to the house and next to the sunroom - nobody in sight. We don't get a lot of visitors but we do have the meter reader come once a month to read the meter so I thought it might be him . . but then I remembered that I had paid the electrical/gas bill the previous week and it was certainly too early to read the meter. I stood there watching the car . . still no one in sight and then the dogs took off running through the kitchen into the living room where we have a front porch entry. I followed, took a quick look . . still saw no one. I walked back in to the sunroom to look out at the car and I saw a tall young black man getting into the passenger seat. My first thought was "where is the driver"?

I stood there a few seconds and saw a younger white woman walking back to the car from the front of the house. I stepped out and asked (politely) if I could help them. The young woman walked over and up on the deck where I was standing just outside the door and she proceeded to tell me they were looking for . . . . (she gave me a name I didn't recognize). She acted very pleasant. She then went on to give me a story that she had "hooked up" with the girl she was looking for on Facebook but the girl didn't give her good directions to the house where she lived, only the road and that the house sat back in from the road, etc., etc. All the time she was looking at me straight in the eye. Something just didn't sit right with me and I began to note various things to remember. One thing was that she had a piercing in her upper left cheek with a diamond like stud in it, the style of her hair and I was able to look past her and see the black fellow in the seat. He had scruffy facial hair and I could guess his height and weight remembering him as I had watched him get into the passenger seat. She said she would keep looking. At that point, I looked her square in the eye and made the statement . . . "you're not form around here and this is a rural area so you'd better be careful when you drive in to someone's driveway and approach their house as many of us carry out here." She never batted an eye and her parting remark was "I really like your dogs, they're cute!" Her behavior and remarks all very "smooth".

They left and went on down the road but the more I thought about it, the more "un-easy" I got about it. Later that day, I stopped at the township to see if I could find the police chief but with holidays coming up, they township offices were on "holiday hours". Then as I thought about it more . . we had a lot on the TV about people looking for packages sitting on decks, porches, etc. that could easily be stolen - I'm sure that was everywhere else as well.

The next night, I had a call from my neighbor across the road. He leaves his house early in the morning and he just wanted to tell me that he had observed a car parked halfway up our driveway a couple of days previous. He turned around down the road and came back and the car was pulling away down the road. He said that he felt we were being "cased". The car he described was not the same as the car I saw that had the white girl and black fellow in it. He said that it made him uneasy enough that he had called the township police and reported it. I later found out that they had sent a car out and checked our house but we had left early that morning to go to a nearby city for a doctor appointment, so we didn't see the police.

The Monday after Christmas, I pulled up our local weekly newspaper on-line and what should I see right on the front page? A story about the arrest of a pair for multiple home invasions - and photos of the girl and guy who had been at my house! According to the story, they had been suspected of two home invasions in the next county over where guns, jewelry, electronics, etc. had been taken. The arresting agency had received a tip, been able to follow them as they went through two other counties plus the one I live in and observed them "casing" homes. They finally had enough evidence to make a stop an they arrested them both.

The following day, I was able to contact our township police chief and fill him in on what had happened at my house. He said they had not been able to link them to any break-ins or home invasions in our township but he would pass the information along to the agency that will be handling the prosecution of both of them. As it turns out, both are heroin addicts and were doing home invasions to steal to support their habit. Fortunately, none of the homes they hit were occupied. I also gave the chief the descriptions on the cars - the one my neighbor saw and the one they were driving . . . and another one that had been on our road that was acting strangely - pulling into driveways, etc.

In talking with the chief, who i have know since he took the job, I mentioned that I have never felt "un-safe" here. Until a few years ago, you could leave home with your doors unlocked and never worry - neighbors knew neighbors and we all kept an eye out on each other. Not so anymore. Our area has had growth over the years and along with that, the "everybody knows everybody" no longer exists. I mentioned that I am licensed to carry in both AZ and MI and that I often carry in AZ but other than a few times here in MI, I never really felt the need. He just looked up from the notes he was writing on what I was saying and very seriously said, "You might want to reconsider that."

Since this all happened, I have had the opportunity to run a lot of thoughts through my head. First, I had a gut feeling that "something wasn't right" with the man and woman and I should have listened to my inner feelings and called 911 immediately .. . . I didn't. If it were not for our two dogs making a fuss and barking, I would probably not have heard them break in if they thought our house was unoccupied as I was in the basement. Had I heard their footsteps on the floor above me, I probably would have assumed that my wife was home from the store and would have gone upstairs to help carry in the groceries which is my usual habit. If that had happened, I would have run into both the man and the woman inside our house and since our house is small, it wouldn't have taken long . . . and I could easily have been surprised and overtaken by 2 on 1. Home invasions occur daily in this country and often result in a surprised occupant . .and their death as a result.

In years past, I worked ambulance as well as fire & rescue. I saw many many tragic things that still haunt my sleep at nights. I have always tried to be aware of my surroundings and possible things that could happen and have tried to impress those things on my wife as well when she is out and about. But I still would like to think that I try to find the "best" in people . . . but lets face it . . . there is a lot of evil that exists in this world and a lot of people who would slit your throat over a dollar or actually, nothing. I saw it in my experiences while working ambulance/fire/rescue and I am well aware that often times an addict will do what is necessary to get their next fix . . even if it means doing harm to another individual. I was even shot at once as we arrived on scene and as a result, I refuse to be a "victim" and try to be aware at all times of what is going on around me . . . or I would like to think so at least. But, as my experience above illustrates . . it doesn't always work that way.

Years ago, I had a friend who moved to Florida after he retired with his wife and he got a job with the maintenance department of a nearby community college. The had an apartment in a nice area. One morning, he got up, got around, had breakfast with his wife and went out to go to work like he always did. He got to his car and was attacked by an addict who was high. The guy had a claw hammer and beat him repeatedly over the head. Another resident saw it and called 911 and a nearby cruiser responded and nabbed the perp . . but my friend was very near death. Fortunately, he survived but was never right after that.

I had a cousin who worked as a cashier in a newly built corner drug store. She was very outgoing, loved her job and loved people. A guy came in "high", showed her a knife and demanded the money in the cash register. She was a larger gal and very spunky . . she refused to give the guy anything. The guy jumped the counter, stabbed her over and over and then grabbed the cash he could get and ran out. She died almost instantly. The store had only been open for a week and was in a very good neighborhood.

I say all this to let people know that "things" can happen anytime . . . anywhere . . . and you need to be aware of your surroundings and what is going on. If you see something that "doesn't sit right" . . . don't question it. Call 911 . . . it is better to be safe than sorry.

I . . . as most people do . . . live under the false illusion that we like to feel "safe" in our homes and that nothing bad could ever happen to us there. But then most of us were brought up with morals and compassion for others and know the difference between "right and wrong". But there are many, many people out there that don't live by the moral compass that we do. I have always kept a loaded handgun hidden where I thought that I could easily get to it if necessary. After thinking about what could have happened if we did not have the dogs and I did not hear them, I no longer live under that illusion. Nor do I think that I can "handle" a situation no matter what. One person intruding . . . maybe if you were lucky. More than one person invading your space . . . don't count on it. As our police chief said . . "you'd better rethink that". The experience rattled me enough that I know that if I am here alone, or my wife is, there will be a loaded weapon in close proximity. If I am here alone or working outside in my shop or yard, it will be on my belt. And I don't consider that as being "afraid" . . I consider it to be "common sense" with the way things are becoming . . . and it doesn't make a difference where you live.

I wonder what Hillary or any of her gang would do in such a situation? Of course she and many of others who tout the anti-gun movement have either their own bodyguards or tax supported secret service in her situation. To depend on LE for your protection is a fallacy . . . and I am not knocking LE at all, I have the highest respect for them and what they do. But in 99% of the time . . . they are "reactive" to a situation and vary rarely in the position to "prevent". In the end, it's about neighbors looking out for neighbors. Keep your eyes open and if something appears strange or out of the norm, call and report it. That call may give the LE the upper hand to "prevent" rather than having to "react". Assess you own situation and determine how you can make your environment more safe in terms of preventing break ins or possible home invasions. I'm sure that most LE agencies would be more than happy to provide information and suggestions. I think everyone can agree that material things can be replaced if stolen . . . but a life can't. As the police chief said . .. I was lucky as the duo that I ran into here at the house had been stealing guns and they are still trying to sift out as to whether they were in possession of any as they did their home invasions.

Hopefully no one here will have an experience like this and I'm sorry for the length of this post. But I hope that it will get some to thinking about what could happen and to be prepared as to how they might react . . . and to remind us all that we need to look out for our neighbors and each other.

Thanks.

MrWolf
01-01-2016, 04:22 PM
Thanks for taking the time to remind us all. I keep telling folks I know including my family to always be orepared and aware of your surroundings. Carrying in this state is not allowed which is one of the reasons why I am leaving latter this year after my divirce. I really worry about my daughter who lives in Philly with here boyfriend and both are anti gun - the government will protect them. No matter what I say it makes no difference. Scared she may have to learn the hard way. Glad you were ok and the dogs gave you enough of a heads up.

Fergie
01-01-2016, 04:42 PM
Home carry. Period.

If someone really was coming in to grab you, your stuff, or both, how long would it take you to get to your pistol/shotgun/whatever?

Glad they got the thieves, and glad you are unharmed.

big bore 99
01-01-2016, 04:48 PM
Good to have some dogs around the house. Trusting your gut feelings and being aware is not paranoia.

Handloader109
01-01-2016, 04:56 PM
I have always had a shotgun or rifle on hand. No handguns until a couple of years ago. Mainly would carry in car when traveling back to Mississippi, pretty much a reactive move. We've now got several handguns and feel like we are pretty safe here in Arkansas, but there are a lot of shady folks up here too. Crack users being arrested every week. I really can't carry at work, one of those employer that prohibits Guns on premises. Almost makes me want to change jobs, but we do good work and it is difficult at my age. Thanks for the message and we'll start watching ever more closely and carrying more.

Petrol & Powder
01-01-2016, 05:43 PM
Casing the house for a potential burglary seems more likely than the prelude to home invasion [robbery at an occupied residence]. The term "home invasion" gets tossed around quite a bit these days. That being said, you were lucky that you confronted them before they made entry. Had you surprised them inside the home while they were committing the burglary, the odds of that turning violent would have been much greater.

They were checking the house to see if it was occupied and when they were discovered, the female created a cover story for their presence. Not a very good cover story as you noted but she needed to come up with something. Had they believed the home was unoccupied they almost certainly would have entered and started to seek valuables to steal.

Fortunately the dogs alerted you to their presence and you were able to confront the female before they made entry.
I'm glad it turned out well and they were later arrested. Heroin addicts are notorious thieves and hopefully those two will be convicted of all of their prior burglaries.

DougGuy
01-01-2016, 05:52 PM
I spend a lot of time back in my back bedroom which is our office and media center. We have several computers back here and we watch movies and keep up with daily events back here. I thought it prudent to include a 1911 strategically placed under a pile of casually laid papers and notes for easy access. I have a different gun by the bedside. In the event someone gets into the house I don't want to be caught in a different room than my 45s. Most days I am holstered in my house if I have come in from an errand I don't take it off. I'm not paranoid, just prepared because you NEVER know, you just NEVER know when something out of the ordinary comes your way and you may need a firearm to steer the chain of events in a favorable direction..

Thankfully, no harm came to you or your wife or neighbors. Not always the case.

Outpost75
01-01-2016, 06:05 PM
Fergie nailed it. Carry all the time, home and away.

And give the duty barkers a steak and lots of praise for giving the alert.

Three44s
01-01-2016, 06:10 PM
Glad this ended well! So often it doesn't!

Our Sherrif's dept maintains a "complaint line" ........ I know the number well .......... we ranch for a living and have lots of interactions ....... that number saves a lot of 911 traffic.

Three 44s

Rick Hodges
01-01-2016, 06:15 PM
Petrol & Powder,
In Michigan breaking and entering a dwelling place with felonious intent is "Home Invasion". It makes no difference if it is occupied or not. Different states use different terminology for the same crime. NY talks of differing degree felonies...with the exception of Murder and Criminal Sexual Conduct (see we don't rape in Michigan) we don't use "degrees". Home Invasion was the correct terminology for what bedbugbilly was talking about, here in Michigan.

shoot-n-lead
01-01-2016, 06:35 PM
Glad it turned out well for you and cheap lessons were learned.

Char-Gar
01-01-2016, 06:50 PM
I have a Pekingese who alerts at sounds no human can hear. I always take him seriously and heap praise and affection on him every time he "goes off". There is always a serious handgun within reach whatever room in the house I find myself. I live in a "gun rich" environment. Mostly they are Glocks with 30 round mags.

w5pv
01-01-2016, 07:01 PM
I am always armed,and I have a dog that will get into your rear pockets with you,this combo has put a stop to stop grab and run problemd that I was having.

FISH4BUGS
01-01-2016, 07:05 PM
I live out in a rural area that neighbor's houses are within sight but 4-500 yards away. I work out of the house and keep my S&W 3914 on my desk. There are other guns around the house loaded and within reach. When I am doing yard work and gardening, I carry my mother's High Standard 22 magnum derringer. (she got too old and weak to pull the trigger).
You never know.......

knifemaker
01-01-2016, 07:11 PM
Bedbugbilly, I spent 30 years in law enforcement and retired as a detective Sgt. I do not take your comment on law enforcement not being there to always protect as an insult. It is the darn truth and I have told many citizens that during my time in law enforcement.
I also live in a rural mountain area in retirement. If a stranger comes in to my driveway or door, when I greet him there is a concealed handgun on me or near by that I can grab in 2 seconds or less.
Even in a city, response time is from 5-15 minutes on a 9-11 call. In rural areas it can be 30 minutes before law enforcement can get there. Everyone should except the fact they may one day find themselves having to protect themselves and family and should prepare for it.

Blackwater
01-01-2016, 07:43 PM
Good job, Billy. Security ALWAYS comes first, and nobody you haven't known long enough to establish good faith and trust in gets trusted. That's not "seeing the worst in people," it's just good common sense today, with all the rampant druggies doing all manner of things to innocents. My wife has the Polyanna attitude, and I get no help, and she doesn't seem to want to learn the real necessity of security, but she's finally starting to get an inkling, at least sort of. I carry almost 100% of the time in my own home. It's not a big gun, just a little .380, but it beats wearing a silly grin! We've never had a break in here. I kind'a have a little bit of reputation, and I find that sort'a satisfying. Did have a redneck come into my yard claiming my dog was his, though, and wound up having to tell him that I was armed and that he didn't want to try to start a fight with me. He and his girlfriend finally realized their mistake, and he kind'a sort'a apologized, but still left in a huff. I feel for anyone who's lost their dog, but this was NO way to conduct one's self on anohter man's property! All sorts of things happen today, and anyone who assumes they're safe, even in their own home, really needs to get a grip on reality today.

As the old saying goes, "Once burnt (or almost), a lesson learnt." I bet I'd hate to try to repeat that instance today on your property! And good on ya' for it, too! Back when crooks didn't have hapless, "it's all gonna' be OK" victims, we didn't have the kinds and natures of crimes we do now. Stay tough and sensible, and take care of whatever business comes your way. It may save another's life, as well as your own and your wife's.

Petrol & Powder
01-01-2016, 07:50 PM
Petrol & Powder,
In Michigan breaking and entering a dwelling place with felonious intent is "Home Invasion". It makes no difference if it is occupied or not. Different states use different terminology for the same crime. NY talks of differing degree felonies...with the exception of Murder and Criminal Sexual Conduct (see we don't rape in Michigan) we don't use "degrees". Home Invasion was the correct terminology for what bedbugbilly was talking about, here in Michigan.

Caught It !
You're correct that under Michigan law a breaking and entry of a dwelling while armed or breaking and entry of an occupied building is classified as a home invasion. Looks like a good law!

Michigan code section 750.110a: in part:
(2) A person who breaks and enters a dwelling with intent to commit a felony, larceny, or assault in the dwelling, a person who enters a dwelling without permission with intent to commit a felony, larceny, or assault in the dwelling, or a person who breaks and enters a dwelling or enters a dwelling without permission and, at any time while he or she is entering, present in, or exiting the dwelling, commits a felony, larceny, or assault is guilty of home invasion in the first degree if at any time while the person is entering, present in, or exiting the dwelling either of the following circumstances exists:
(a) The person is armed with a dangerous weapon.

(b) Another person is lawfully present in the dwelling.

If the intruder is unarmed AND the dwelling is unoccupied, the conduct reverts to 750.110 which is Michigan's breaking and entering law.

It looks like a completed larceny or felony makes it a home invasion even if the dwelling is unoccupied or the intruder is unarmed. Again, pretty good law.

Clearly in the event described by the OP could have been a home invasion if the subjects had made entry into the OP's house because the owner was present.

The above law can be found here: http://legislature.mi.gov/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-chap750.pdf

TXGunNut
01-01-2016, 07:58 PM
Food for thought, indeed. Good job on getting a good description, hope they get put away for a long time. I don't make a point of carrying around the house but a shotgun is always close by. Maybe that will change.
FWIW cops around here use the term "home invasion" to describe when felons force their way into an occupied home and rob the residents at gunpoint. Drugs are almost always involved, sometimes the "victim" is a user as well. Most burglars don't want to confront residents and will leave if detected. Home invasions are a whole different scenario, perps aren't afraid to confront their victims and it often ends badly for the resident(s).

Uncle R.
01-01-2016, 08:11 PM
Fergie nailed it. Carry all the time, home and away.

And give the duty barkers a steak and lots of praise for giving the alert.

Yes.
Those little dogs saved the day, maybe even your life.
I remain convinced that keeping a dog (Or better yet, multiple dogs) around the house is one of the best security systems there is.
They were "just doing their job" but they did it pretty well, didn't they?
Bonus treats are in order!
:2_high5:

Uncle R.

JWFilips
01-01-2016, 08:15 PM
Jim,
In a situation like that I hope you went out to greet her (Armed)! When any stranger approaches my home I make it very obvious I'm "carrying" concealed if you know what I mean!
Stay safe
Friend ,
Jim

missionary5155
01-01-2016, 09:21 PM
Greetings
Thank you for posting this. We all need to be reminded to be ever vigilant. Thanks to God you and your wife suffered no harm.
Mike in Peru

crowbuster
01-01-2016, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the reminder why I carry every day. Glad it turned out well for you and hope you consider carrying all the time.

BrassMagnet
01-01-2016, 11:40 PM
Bedbugbilly, I spent 30 years in law enforcement and retired as a detective Sgt. I do not take your comment on law enforcement not being there to always protect as an insult. It is the darn truth and I have told many citizens that during my time in law enforcement.
I also live in a rural mountain area in retirement. If a stranger comes in to my driveway or door, when I greet him there is a concealed handgun on me or near by that I can grab in 2 seconds or less.
Even in a city, response time is from 5-15 minutes on a 9-11 call. In rural areas it can be 30 minutes before law enforcement can get there. Everyone should except the fact they may one day find themselves having to protect themselves and family and should prepare for it.

Two seconds or less to grab a gun can be a lifetime and it can cost your life.
I prefer to be carrying. Concealed.

rondog
01-01-2016, 11:47 PM
Several years ago I was in a small town farm supply store waiting on a 4473 to clear on a 1911 I was buying. There was a couple talking to the gun counter guy about handguns, and the wife had bandages on her face and had difficulty talking. Obviously had suffered recent trauma.

After they left and we were finishing my purchase, the clerk could see the curiosity on my face. He quietly told me that they lived in a remote area outside of town, the wife had answered a knock at the door, and some meth-head tweaker shot her in the face. No robbery or invasion, just shot her and ran away. That's all I've ever heard about it, but it was pretty shocking.

I also remember an incident, late 70's/early 80's, north of my hometown in Oklahoma. These folks lived just off the highway that ran north out of town. One night someone came from the highway to their door, and whoever answered the door (can't remember if husband or wife) got blasted with a sawed-off shotgun. Also another shoot-and-run for no rhyme or reason. Victim also survived, but lives were shattered senselessly.

Stuff happens, sometimes in the blink of an eye. Be prepared. I don't think even a gun in hand would have helped either of these times though.

MaryB
01-02-2016, 12:49 AM
We have had meth heads trying to break into garages in my town. Police response times are 30+ minutes if the deputy is other end of the country. I ALWAYS have my PK380 with me. I get up from the desk it goes in my pocket, even if I am just going to the bathroom or the kitchen for a minute. It does me no good if I have to run to it after a break in.

And we had these Hispanic guys show up in town. Driving around and stopping at houses with satellite dishes claiming to be from Directv and they needed to come inside and check the installation. He came to my door and I informed him I was armed and to get off my property. Soon as he hit the end of the sidewalk I dialed 911. They caught them 2 blocks down with a van full of stolen tools including some really heavy table saws. They also had some small safes(unopened), jewelry, someones new 60" TV in the box yet(my guess a Christmas present that was hid in the garage)... response time fr the call was 35 minutes, they had just broken into another garage and were working on it.

They were casing houses and would wait for the person to leave then break in. They did have stolen guns and both tested positive for meth. Small town America is no longer safe from these druggies. We have a phone tree in town where word gets passed fast when something happens so people are on the lookout. Nobody had been threatened yet so we waited on the police. If they had used a gun even to threaten anyone someone here in town may have shot them.

Rufus Krile
01-02-2016, 01:19 AM
I always answer the door with one in my hand... along with the Rottweiler and the Doberman that are competing to join in the discussion. Small dogs are great warning systems but big dogs... well that's a whole 'nother story. Don't get much repeat business from door to door salesmen and I think I may be legendary among Jehovah's Witness. No way to keep them from seeing the dogs... wouldn't anyway... but they never see the pistol or my right hand. Never accept anything anyone tries to hand you at your door... no brochures, coupons, free tickets, etc. This just exposes one of your hands and limits what counter actions you have available. Paranoid? Face it... they really are out to get us.

oscarflytyer
01-02-2016, 01:59 AM
Glad it turned out ok for you, and your wife didn't drive up while they were there. In city neighborhood. I have gotten to keeping the front door locked, and never used to do this. Have four dogs that let me know if anyone is around - very vocally, which is great. Carry consistently, but in the habit of dropping it in the drawer when I get home. Slowly moving away from that and keeping it on me. Sucks that it has come to that, but... better safe than sorry.

smoked turkey
01-02-2016, 02:12 AM
Just as the others have said, thank you for the warning. I also live in a rural area and am several hundred feet off the road. Lately I have been packing a 380 around the place here and try to have one handy when inside. It is too bad that things have gotten the way they are but there is too much at stake to not be aware and be prepared.

Col4570
01-02-2016, 02:37 AM
Vigilance is the word and no matter how efficient Law enforcement is they cannot offer one to one protection.This state of affairs is universal and has always been been a problem,therefore it is imperitive that the citizen must fill those gaps by exercising awareness at all times.No one likes a life that becomes siege mentality and it may never occur but in the cold light of day s,,t happens so to avoid tragedy one must take precautions.

Butchman205
01-02-2016, 02:41 AM
Glad it turned out not so bad for you.

Here in our part of Bama, folks rarely used to even lock their doors, whether they were home or away. Burglaries just didn't happen too often around here. When they did, they perpetrators normally just "came up missing" sooner or later. Police were an hour away, and it literally was frontier justice around here...with good folks looking out for one another.

Nowadays...most homes have security systems (a good thing), police are usually within 10 mins from call to arrival (another good thing), and most everyone carries (a very good thing).

Most of us keep an eye out for the elderly folks and each other. Several of the elderly have us on their alarm notifications (call or text).
My father-in-law drove up on a home burglary just down the road. He NEVER carried a firearm, or had much use for one.

When the potential thieves fired a couple shots off as they were making a hasty getaway, it got his attention.

I have never seen burglaries happen so often, nor seen the magnitude of folks obviously on dope. They're either smoking some really good stuff, or the world here is just going bad.

Either way, most if not all of the folks in my area now carry.

I used to carry "most" of the time, but now I've ALWAYS got a quality firearm on my person. Period. Even when I'm in my home with doors locked and security system activated...there is a firearm within arms reach.

The terrorists are picking soft target areas with no firearms allowed. But the dope heads don't seem to care. Obviously the drugs cancel what little logic they were capable of prior.

Stay safe my friends.

Windyvista
01-02-2016, 08:35 AM
Billy,

I am glad it worked out for you. Your experience really got me thinking more about what my response would be in my own home. We plan for fire escape and disasters but forget about pre-planning for things like you experienced. I have one pistol upstairs and several downstairs in a safe but if someone walked in, I would likely be cut off from easy access. Changes are now being made to storage locations in my house to provide ready access. I live in NY which is really off the deep end when it comes to anti-gun regulations and I know there have been attempts at legislation that would hold home owners liable if their guns were not stored in locked safes. As usual, regulators don't stop to think thing through. Thanks for providing your experience.

Boyscout
01-02-2016, 08:43 AM
I used to make fun of small, yippy dogs and small handguns (smaller than my 1911) but I am mellowing in my old age I think. I still don't have a small yippy dog but I do carry a S&W 642 all of the time and I bought a "used but never shot" Ruger LCP .380.

The neighbor next door has a toy poodle and a Rotweiller which work together as full-time security. Two years ago an armed gentleman came up on the porch and inquired about the previous occupant. He had several friends standing outside his car waiting. He ignored the small yippy dog but flew off the porch when the rotweiller showed up. Another neighbor witnessed the exchange and said it would have been hilarious if it hadn't been so incredibly dangerous.

The perps hid/parked their car behind a large Eastern Red Cedar on the corner of my property. I limbed the tree out the next day in order to cut it down but it wasn't necessary as that was enough to remove its concealment value.

I was a little slow to realize the problem with the tree. My son was robbed at gun point the year before and the thugs parked in the same, exact spot. The tree was not up against the house but in the corner of our lot 30 yards from our front door step. He was working on his vehicle up under the dash and had could not have protected himself if he had been carrying as he usually does. He never saw them coming.

NavyVet1959
01-02-2016, 09:31 AM
I always have a gun in my hand or on my belt when I answer the door. I never bother to conceal it. I don't care if it is Jehovah's Witness or a city employee -- I tell them they are trespassing and that they need to leave.

These days though, I'm in the middle of a bit of remodeling and all the living room furniture is stored in the foyer against the front door. It's unlikely someone could come through the front door with anything less than a vehicle mounted battering ram.

http://dgeiu3fz282x5.cloudfront.net/g/l/l-137165.jpg

Uncle R.
01-02-2016, 10:08 AM
We're a few miles out of town but not far from the road. There have been several times over the years when people who had car trouble, deer crashes or were simply lost would stop and ask for help. Some of those requests happened in the middle of the night, some in broad daylight. I always help if I can, but I always have "my two best friends" with me when I do. It just makes sense.

During one "ran out of gas at two in the morning" encounter involving two young men I got that old prickly sensation that something about 'em wasn't right. Even so I handed them my gas can with the last half gallon in it and gave them directions to the all night gas station two miles away. One of them looked me over carefully and then became noticeably eager to leave. It wasn't 'till they were gone and I was back inside that I realized my holster was sticking out past the bottom of my jacket. He had spotted that holster and realized I was armed.

Big dogs can often intimidate potential evildoers, but I don't count on it. The really bad ones don't care about a dog, and who knows if the dope heads care about anything at all? I've always maintained that the primary function of the dogs is to alert me, and the primary fighting responsibility is mine. With that thought firmly in mind, I'd take a little yippy dog that was alert and young with good ears over a big dog that was old and going deaf.

It's tempting to say the world is getting more dangerous, but there have always been times and places where danger stalks. A wise man keeps his best friends close.

Uncle R.

snowwolfe
01-02-2016, 10:56 AM
Anybody who drives down a rural driveway to someone's home deserves to be greeted by the homeowner carrying or holding a firearm. Especially when the driveway is labeled with "private drive" or no trespassing signs.
Glad to hear your encounter ended well for you and the wife.

TXGunNut
01-02-2016, 02:41 PM
My neighborhood is definitely a hard target for these types, mostly civil but can get pretty redneck in a big hurry. I'm pretty unsociable anyway, disconnected my wireless doorbell when it went nuts during the wee hours a few months back and haven't bothered to replace it. I usually won't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone. That said, my cars are sometimes unlocked and my back door is often unlocked as well. My neighbors are all armed and most a bit nosey, even the ne'er do wells down the street do business elsewhere.

jaydub in wi
01-02-2016, 03:50 PM
This thread has encouraged me to get an extra T bone out of the freezer for my 3 dogs. My lab and lab mix don't always hear a vehicle coming up the driveway, but the puppy always does and alerts the other 2. I was going to downsize to 2 dogs as they pass away, but I think 3 might be a good number to stay at.

buckwheatpaul
01-02-2016, 04:22 PM
bedbugbilly, Great post...have over 35 L.E. experience and you are dead on on your assessment.....living in the country is great but you are isolated.....never never never leave home without your weapon...have a weapon in more than one place and be proficient with all of them.....thanks for the post.....Paul

Beagle333
01-02-2016, 04:45 PM
Sometimes they come in shooting..... better to carry inside as well as outside. Sometimes you don't have long to react. Glad you are okay.
http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2016/1/2/pcso_intruder_shot_a.html?cid=facebook_Bay_News_9

BrassMagnet
01-02-2016, 08:30 PM
Billy,

I am glad it worked out for you. Your experience really got me thinking more about what my response would be in my own home. We plan for fire escape and disasters but forget about pre-planning for things like you experienced. I have one pistol upstairs and several downstairs in a safe but if someone walked in, I would likely be cut off from easy access. Changes are now being made to storage locations in my house to provide ready access. I live in NY which is really off the deep end when it comes to anti-gun regulations and I know there have been attempts at legislation that would hold home owners liable if their guns were not stored in locked safes. As usual, regulators don't stop to think thing through. Thanks for providing your experience.

They do think it through. They want you to be a victim!
They want you so scared you will give them all of the power they want!
They have armed guards!

fatelk
01-02-2016, 09:00 PM
What a wake up call. I was telling my wife about this thread yesterday, and we talked about safety, awareness, and how unpredictable druggies are.

This afternoon we took the kids out for a drive up into the hills looking for some snow for them to play in. My wife started getting creeped out by a car full of shaggy looking guys that had been following us for a long ways. We pulled off in a wide spot and they pulled off on a side road back behind us, then pulled out and kept going. Another couple miles there they were stopped in the road as if waiting for us, then took off when we came around the corner.

I figured they were probably just looking for a spot to pull off in the snow too, but was alerted enough to be cautious. We finally found a wide graveled area with snow and stopped, then I noticed that the same car was stopped just at the corner past where we were. They drove over and stopped right next to us. As I drove off headed back the way we came I saw in the mirror that they were all getting out of the car and walking in the snow, so honestly it was most likely innocent, but the whole time my wife was saying "You have a gun along with you, right?"

We did find a spot for the kids to play a few miles back towards home, in a wide open area with other people with kids nearby. I'm sure my wife had been thinking about this thread the whole time.

Nowadays we live in a good neighborhood in a nice town in a rural county, maybe a mile from the local police and fire stations. Many years ago I lived out of town on some secluded acreage down a fairly long wooded driveway. I woke up in the middle of the night one night. I couldn't figure out why I woke up because it was pitch dark and dead silent. Then I heard a motor start right outside my window and got up to see taillights disappearing down my driveway. Weird. I didn't have a dog at that time, maybe should have. They really are the best burglar alarms, aren't they?

Alan in GA
01-02-2016, 09:06 PM
This makes be even more happy about the Ruger LC9s Pro (9mm Luger) I bought a few days ago. My intentions are a concealable POCKET PISTOL. The only decision making had to do with choice of .380 vs. 9mm, and Glock 42, 43, and the Ruger LC9sPro I wound up buying.
I have a Charter Arms Undercover 38Spl but it is not quite concealed when carried in pants pocket. The Colt 1991 is too heavy [and expensive with the $800 modifications done] to leave in my work vehicle.
I have enjoyed the ability of this little Ruger to ride in my pants pocket....EVERYWHERE. I keep the chamber empty because I have seen too many ADs in my lifetime, mostly gun knowlegable folks that just have the 'urge' to pull a trigger when they pick up a gun, either their own or someone else'.
It's a different world out there,....and I won't even start talking about our Gov't representatives, ALL OF THEM! Spineless Republican conservatives as well (how do they let 'exectutive orders' happen????).
Love this little Ruger.

PS- just might have the Charter Arm's hammer bobbed to make it a backup pocket pistol.

Russel Nash
01-02-2016, 09:36 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_5036.jpg

I can't stand it in the suburbs when they leave their garage doors open on their McMansions.

woodbutcher
01-02-2016, 10:24 PM
:bigsmyl2: This thread reminds me of an encounter about 50 years ago when I was 20.Was in the garage looking for some parts for a project that i was working on in the house.Heard a pair of voices at the back door of the garage.One said watch for anyone while I check this place out.Well,the only weapon that I had close was a 2 foot long piece of 3/4" all thread.Worked well for a club.Hehehe.You really don`t want to see what that stuff does to a piece of scum intent on stealing something from you.Especially when swung by a really PO`ed person who weighed
230 lbs at the time.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

rondog
01-02-2016, 10:54 PM
:bigsmyl2: This thread reminds me of an encounter about 50 years ago when I was 20.Was in the garage looking for some parts for a project that i was working on in the house.Heard a pair of voices at the back door of the garage.One said watch for anyone while I check this place out.Well,the only weapon that I had close was a 2 foot long piece of 3/4" all thread.Worked well for a club.Hehehe.You really don`t want to see what that stuff does to a piece of scum intent on stealing something from you.Especially when swung by a really PO`ed person who weighed
230 lbs at the time.
Leo

Maybe I'm a sicko but yes, yes I would like to see that! Perhaps I just hate lowlife criminal scum more than most folks.....

Plate plinker
01-02-2016, 11:42 PM
I hope that means you rang somebody's bell real good.

Rufus Krile
01-03-2016, 01:25 AM
Dogs have always been part of my security solutions. Worked 40yrs in the oilfield, gone for a week at a time. Had two dobes until the mid 80's and then started rotating Rottweilers into the mix. Have kept one of each ever since. Thought briefly about trying a Bouvier but never found one I liked. Never worried about wife or daughters when I was gone... I knew that the dogs would die protecting them. It's hard to think about... they get like your children... but they are there to buy you enough time to get to a weapon whatever it takes. You then shoot everything taller than a dog. One bad guy can handle one dog if he knows what he's doing. Two guys can't handle two dogs if the dogs know what they're doing... and with some breeds it is instinctive. There is a lot of difference between a dog bite and a dog attack... about 200 stitches and a quart of blood.

TXGunNut
01-03-2016, 01:34 AM
Lots of guns, been without a dog for too long. I don't need a dog to do my fighting for me but I need his ears to tell me when to be ready.

Butchman205
01-03-2016, 01:43 AM
This thread reminds me of...One cool fall night, I turned the alarm off to one window by my bed, to let the cool fall air blow in...and was awakened a tad before midnight to wireless driveway alarm. Then heard two sets of two-footed somethings walking the gravel up my driveway...and heard one say in hushed voice,"Be careful. He has a gun."

I thought bad stuff had came to my house.

When they came past my house at just at the steps to the upstairs...they were lit up by two 320 lumen weapon lights on a sig 226 and a Glock 45 acp...

They were scared almost as badly as I was...it was teenagers walking up our driveway going to roll the house in the woods past us (only two houses up on this mountain) as a football homecoming week prank. They were talking about our cousin's kid has an airsoft gun that they shoot at each other with.

Almost went from harmless to very very bad. For all I knew, it was a midnight home invasion.

Always identify target before you shoot, even on your own dirt at midnight.

Circuit Rider
01-03-2016, 11:00 AM
Wife and I are both retired, live over 1/2 mile off paved road. Private drive, only 5 homes with gate at the road. I get laughed at by some because I carry everywhere. Open on my place, concealed otherwise. Can't be too careful these days. CR

jmort
01-03-2016, 11:30 AM
"I didn't have a dog at that time, maybe should have. They really are the best burglar alarms, aren't they?"

Yes indeed. I have always had big dogs, up to five at a time, but now am down to one 12 pound terrier. He barks I check it out, a fine arrangement. I would prefer a fleet of Dogo Argentinos, but he is easy to care for and travels well.

9.3X62AL
01-03-2016, 12:30 PM
A good dog and an armed citizen are a burglar's biggest fears. California is in a mode of turning loose a whole lot of convicted felons after they have served small percentages of their sentences, so here (and probably elsewhere) a citizen's chances of having to deal with these vermin increases. How curious that at the same time Gov. Moonbeam and his road dogs in River City are freeing all these predators they simultaneously strive to make firearms more difficult to obtain or to carry in public. Don't listen to what the shotcallers say, pay attention to what they do........it is very telling. Gotta ask yourself.......who benefits most from this combination of actions? Not taxpaying citizens, for darn sure.

Just another dark and cynical viewpoint nurtured by life in the Worker's Paradise.

rondog
01-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Our two Beagle girls are the friendliest, most people-loving dogs I've ever seen. I've never seen them "alert" at anyone, but they've never been tested either by intruders or noises in the night. I love my lap dogs, but I sometimes wish we had a dog that was a little more serious.

My condition-white wife won't allow any more animals though, she bitches enough already about dog hair and food costs. And she refuses to discuss that there are bad people in the world that we need to be prepared for. She tolerates my CCW and guns kept here and there, but doesn't like it.

jmort
01-03-2016, 03:13 PM
"And she refuses to discuss that there are bad people in the world that we need to be prepared for."

Sorry to hear that. At least you are in condition yellow/red. I now prefer dogs with "real" hair. My next one will be a miniature Schnauzer. I just need the dog to get me a head start on the problem.

CLAYPOOL
01-04-2016, 02:48 AM
Keep/Have guns laying EVERY WHERE... What are you people thinking... Chootem again + again. They can't lie.. The law won't keep you long when they have to pay your doctor bills and prescriptions that older people need....

woodbutcher
01-04-2016, 03:13 AM
:bigsmyl2: Hi rondog and plate plinker.The one that I welcomed with the all thread spent 6 months in the hospital.The lookout met up with our outside cat.15 pounds of mean fangs and claws.His face and neck were severely chewed ans clawed.They both spent 6 months in the hospital.And then 5 years no parole in the state pen.The one that met up with the all thread was so tore up one of the cops that was a WW2 vet and saw some nasty stuff left his lunch all over the back yard.Yep,it WAS very messy.The all thread guy lost a patch of scalp 4" by 8" that was not able to be reattached.As they say in Mother Russia"Toughski Stuffski".
Leo

NavyVet1959
01-04-2016, 10:36 AM
Used to live next to a pair of women (*supposedly* sisters) who had beagles. The dogs would howl at *anything*.

Mosquito fly through the back yard? Howl...
Fly fart next door? Howl...

Another neighbor had various yippy-type dogs (Chihuahuas and such) -- basically rats that bark. They were just as bad.

I had Chows. They have a very low frequency bark and if they are *really* excited, then it's like 5 minutes between each "woooffff"... They didn't give false alerts. They wouldn't attack anyone, but they were pretty aloof if they didn't know the person.

fatnhappy
01-04-2016, 07:21 PM
Our two Beagle girls are the friendliest, most people-loving dogs I've ever seen. I've never seen them "alert" at anyone, but they've never been tested either by intruders or noises in the night. I love my lap dogs, but I sometimes wish we had a dog that was a little more serious.

My condition-white wife won't allow any more animals though, she bitches enough already about dog hair and food costs. And she refuses to discuss that there are bad people in the world that we need to be prepared for. She tolerates my CCW and guns kept here and there, but doesn't like it.

If 3 exceeds your bitch limit: keep the dogs.

firefly1957
01-04-2016, 07:37 PM
I have my second Corgi they have both been good at letting me know when something is wrong the first had the heart of a lion and would attack anything to protect us Wally is timid but has backed down two coyotes in the yard. Of coarse both dogs were backed up by one of three 45 acp pistols. One of the funniest things i have seen in my life was the first Corgi first year we had him i brought dead a deer in on a ATV and put a hoist rope around it's neck. As i stepped away and pulled the rope the deer lifted it's head and JC jumped up grabbing it by the wind pipe and hung there while the three of us just laughed . That same dog was on a leash when i was talking to a guy with a metal detector when he lifted it JC must have though it was a weapon and went right for the guys "JUNK" it is lucky i had a good hold or i fear the guy would have been damaged.
I am in the sticks and often carry here it is just the smart thing to do.

NavyVet1959
01-05-2016, 12:11 AM
If 3 exceeds your bitch limit: keep the dogs.

http://www.themorningfunnys.com/uploads/1/0/2/7/10277934/5604821_orig.jpg

If your dog is barking at the back door and your wife is yelling at the front door, who do you let in first?
The dog, of course. He'll shut up once you let him in.

TXGunNut
01-05-2016, 12:21 AM
I hate this thread, been without a dog too long. Had a Min-Pin for 12 years, he knew everything that happened and told me when it mattered. He had good instincts on GF's as well, should have trusted him there as well. He warmed up to her after awhile but he crapped in her yard before he met her.

rondog
01-05-2016, 01:05 AM
I hate this thread, been without a dog too long. Had a Min-Pin for 12 years, he knew everything that happened and told me when it mattered. He had good instincts on GF's as well, should have trusted him there as well. He warmed up to her after awhile but he crapped in her yard before he met her.
I decided long ago that I'll always have a dog. Life is just too lonely without one. I prefer to have two, a dog needs a companion when there's no humans around, it keeps them happy and content.

toallmy
01-05-2016, 06:03 AM
good doggie. Thay are mans best frend ,

bangerjim
01-05-2016, 10:29 AM
Keep those guns handy around the house! A gun's bark is sure worse than any dawg!

banger

Ric-san
01-05-2016, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the heads up...things are far worse nowadays as compared to older times...

Lance Boyle
01-05-2016, 04:59 PM
Had something similar happen this summer. I has just gone to the corner store for something, milk or whatever, and came back to find a pick up at the top of my 1/10 mile long driveway. It's a long steep driveway. I pulled in and stopped short blocking any vehicular exit. Two youths with a story about looking for a place to hunt and claiming to know the previous owner of the house and they were friends with their kid. Didn't make much sense since the kid that used to live in my house was 10 or so. I wrote the plate down and sent them on their way. Looked around the house as if I was a thief. Nothing happened at my place fortunately.

Lance Boyle
01-05-2016, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the heads up...things are far worse nowadays as compared to older times...

hmm, yes and no. We had people burglarize our house when I was a kid. Some the dog mauled too.

fatnhappy
01-05-2016, 11:38 PM
I decided long ago that I'll always have a dog. Life is just too lonely without one. I prefer to have two, a dog needs a companion when there's no humans around, it keeps them happy and content.

Very sound reasoning. I used to have a defective beagle, she never barked unless she was hot on a rabbit. She'd come find me every 1/2 hour while we were hunting. She always hopped right in the truck when we were done hunting. She never tried to steal food.

Defective in every respect. Lord I miss that dog.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/lhsjfk3t/james_n_moe2_zpsxejhxrlf.jpg (http://s63.photobucket.com/user/lhsjfk3t/media/james_n_moe2_zpsxejhxrlf.jpg.html)