PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 with powder coated bullets push through:)

cigarman454
01-01-2016, 03:36 PM
Hello everyone,
I’ve came up with a idea that allows the Lyman 450 lube sizer to be used as a push through sizer. I did this to help speed up sizing for some friends and family. I plan on selling a few of these but I need 2 more volunteers to make sure it fits all presses (the castings vary somewhat I'll even pay for shipping). We have only tried it out with pistol bullets and I need some feed back with rifle bullets as they are longer. You will need to clean as much lube as possible from your die and the hole in the press for the die making it easier to tap it out with a pin punch (the lower knock has to be removed). I’ve attached a clear tube that feeds the bullets into a coffee can (you could use a piece of garden hose). Here’s a link to a video of it in action.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gRjsK8eTFe4&feature=youtu.be
Thanks

Vann
01-01-2016, 04:52 PM
I have 1 450 and 2 4500's that I use, in my shop. How much will one cost?

cigarman454
01-01-2016, 06:12 PM
Im giving 2 away for some input. I'll send you a pm.

rancher1913
01-01-2016, 10:13 PM
I have a pair of 450's that I use as well as some lee push through for an rcbs press, maybe a side by side comparison would help. watched the video and its a very neat concept.

Walter Laich
01-02-2016, 07:25 PM
Got a pair of 450's that have been up-graded with new bodies and linkage.

Know I'm third in line but would love to give it a shot (pun intended)

walt

Oops, reread and you're looking for rifle bullets--mine are only pistol

jaysouth
01-02-2016, 11:25 PM
Everyone keep us posted on this one. It looks interesting.

Perhaps I did not pay close enough attention to the video, but what is the advantage of this over a Lee push through die?

Vann
01-03-2016, 12:49 AM
The advantage would be that I already have the sizing dies for all of the calibers I cast for, to go to the Lee push through I would have to buy several new push through sizers and sell 3 lubersizers, top punches, and dies.

runfiverun
01-03-2016, 02:13 AM
I'm pretty sure keith [the perfessor] already sells a kit for doing this.
I might be mistaken, but recall seeing a set up like this somewhere around here.

JohnH
01-03-2016, 08:47 PM
I use my 450 for a push through, rifle and pistol. I simply remove the follower in the die, remove the stop and lifter rod. You can remove lifter bar but it is not necessary. You can either catch boolits one at the time as they fall through or put some kind of catch tray or tub beneath the tool. You can even seat gas checks just like with the Lee tool. No mod's or other stuff necessary. What I've always wanted though is an adapter that lets you use the Lyman/RCBS sizer in a single stage press.

cigarman454
01-25-2016, 02:42 PM
Here’s a heads up on the development of the 450 chute. First I want to thank rancher1913 and Vann for all there help on this these guys have went above and beyond what I was expecting, THANKS GUYS. My original purpose was for the hand gun bullets and rifle bullets with a flat to push one against the other and this is working out even when putting gas checks on and pushing the bullet nose first. The big long rifle bullets ran better nose first pushing them base first would sometimes want to stack up coming out of the die onto the chute. The problem with pointed rifle bullets is that it flattens the points pushing one against another. I’m getting ready to make a few longer top punches to push the bullet all the way through the die. Another thing were doing is to increase the slot length. The bigger longer rifle bullets sometimes want to slide a little as there falling over and hit the top of the chute creating a log jam. Really not that big of a deal only takes the flip of your finger and they go through but hopefully this will take care of that problem.
Thanks,
Cigarman454

rancher1913
01-25-2016, 03:53 PM
I've been giving this a trial and the big plus to this over the lee push through (if we can overcome some slight problems) is that you can apply a gas check as you go and most of us already have the correct sizer for what we shoot. I just finished my rotation and have a few days off, so hopefully I can work with this a little more.

cigarman454
02-01-2016, 06:05 PM
UPDATE:
Pistol bullets seem to work fine with a standard punch. Rifle bullets run better with a longer top punch pushing them all or most of the way through the die. Here's a video of some big rifle bullets from Vann. https://youtu.be/sdDzFfzgPDY