PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks

abunaitoo
01-01-2016, 03:10 AM
Do you have fireworks where you are?????
We have a ban on them....But....you can get a permit for $25.00 to buy 5000 fireworks.
No aerials.
Only kind we can buy are the ones with the pull string. No fun in that.
With the ban on aerials we've that aerials going off since before Thanksgiving.
Lots of them going off all day today.
Really nice big ones.
The ban is really working.

DerekP Houston
01-01-2016, 10:43 AM
No ban here, I live in the no mans land between suburbs. Launched a good amount last night for the family and kiddo.

dragon813gt
01-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Can't buy good ones if you live in this state. We are relegated to snakes and sparklers. But it you have an out of state license you can buy mortars and such at the many fireworks stands that are set up all over. Makes zero sense.

TheDoctor
01-01-2016, 11:17 AM
We heard and saw them going off all around. But, when chilling with your best friends and family, with a pig and briskets on the pit, who has the time or inclination for fireworks?

Freightman
01-01-2016, 12:03 PM
An unenforced law is merely a suggestion! like most of the existing gun laws we don't need more laws the ones we have are adequate, but not enforced. The governing bodies keep passing laws that are unenforceable to be able to say "I have done my JOB" reelect me!!!!!!!!!!!!

popper
01-01-2016, 12:35 PM
They were going off like crazy last nie in Houston. Came down here for late dove and sighting in GKs rifles for youth deer, at Carters and HATE those muzzle brakes. Don't know why people relate natural ground movement with fracking.

runfiverun
01-01-2016, 12:55 PM
it was almost 20 below zero last night, plus an 8-10 mph wind started around midnight, nobody is lighting off anything.
it's still minus 10 but I'm thinking about dong a little shooting this afternoon.

MarkP
01-01-2016, 01:11 PM
Omaha lifted the long time fireworks ban within the city as it was not enforced and the city needed more $$$. Every year there is a nice 15 -20 minute display downtown that starts at 7:00 pm. Not much wind last night with temp at 20 F.

Bright and sunny today taking Son shooting right now.

bikerbeans
01-01-2016, 01:41 PM
I heard one really loud boom last night. I am fairly sure I know who ignited it. I am guessing it was a case of tannerite set off with a full auto AR.

BB

.429&H110
01-01-2016, 03:45 PM
Fire works very legal in North Pole, the fun starts at dark and lets loose about 11:30. Very pretty against the northern lights. The beagle slept through it in her bed in the backseat windows up in the garage. We don't do fireworks July fourth because of the fire danger, and it doesn't get dark anyway. Was some tannerite here and there.

Geezer in NH
01-01-2016, 04:54 PM
Legal in NH but they are expensive!! besides they scare the chickens and that means less eggs.

Small stuff like bottle rockets don't se we sent up 2 dozen last night just before bed at 10 pm

starmac
01-01-2016, 06:24 PM
Can't buy good ones if you live in this state. We are relegated to snakes and sparklers. But it you have an out of state license you can buy mortars and such at the many fireworks stands that are set up all over. Makes zero sense.

They ask for a license to buy fireworks???

perotter
01-01-2016, 08:12 PM
Have them here. I don't know what the law is, but if we aren't supposed to have them it isn't enforced.

But, New Years isn't a big time around here for fireworks. The only ones that were set off last night was by a commercial fireworks guy who lives about 5 miles to the west.

merlin101
01-01-2016, 08:20 PM
They ask for a license to buy fireworks???
They sell them in Pa. to NY residents :) We're not responsible enough to have them here in NY so we sneak over the line to PA.and buy them there. It's to bad the sellers can't sell fireworks to there OWN state residents! Government, go figure.

TXGunNut
01-01-2016, 08:26 PM
My neighbors love to put on a good fireworks show, lots of mortars and big rockets. Good show last night, sounds like somebody had some leftovers tonight. City folks like to come up here to watch the show.

imashooter2
01-01-2016, 10:49 PM
Years ago I worked in a small machine shop. The boss invited us to their 50th wedding anniversary party. After the dinner, we all went out on the deck and his son took a box out of the trunk of his car, maybe 36x24 inches. He took it out in the yard, opened the lid and pulled a bunch of plastic 35mm film canisters out all on cannon fuse and laid them out around the box. Then he lit a long fuse and made some distance between himself and the box. Holy smokes! That was the best home fireworks show I've ever seen. The film canisters were outrageously loud. The box was packed with elaborate mortars. Everything timed out to go off in sequence. Turns out the neighbor behind them was a pyrotechnic professional and put the box together as a gift. Wild.

MaryB
01-02-2016, 01:05 AM
MN bans anything that leaves the ground or explodes. Not that it stops anyone from driving to the Dakotas or WI and buying the good stuff. Someone 2 blocks down last night was launching mortars... put on a nice display! Then the neighbor across the street who is out of town did a couple mag dumps with his new AR at midnight... In between the bang of the mortars and the gunfire it sounded like a war zone :target_smiley:

Blackwater
01-02-2016, 07:28 AM
Here in Ga., I believe only sparklers are legal, but neighboring SC is only 30 min. away from where I am, and a great many folks go there and get whatever they can afford to buy, and ring the new year in with them. No police generally even try to stop any of it. We also have a town sponsored fireworks display on July 4th, but not for the new year. You can be several miles away from the fireworks display in town and see it very well, if not better, than if you're in the designated parking areas. It's a professionally done display, and pretty nice.

For myself, I got kind'a tired of it all years ago, except sometimes on the 4th, so just kind'a yawn and find something else to do. When I go, it's kind'a neat, but there's so much control and the events are so regimented and regulated, that it just kind'a loses its attraction due to that. I guess I'm just not that into fireworks unless I've got something to do with setting them off myself?

Garyshome
01-02-2016, 08:27 AM
No one is setting any off around here [Mayberry]. I can get plenty of the good stuff across the border, but i'm too old to mess with that anymore.

Mumblypeg
01-02-2016, 08:32 AM
Fireworks ! Another reason to like SC....lol. In the town I worked in they were banned so we would spend all night getting calls about fireworks. There are legal outside the city limits. Another town in the county allowed them till 10 pm if I recall correctly and all the kids would shoot them up by then and everybody would get to sleep. It's kind of like banning booze..... just let them have it a while and it will be ok. Out here in the country a lot of the neighbors shot them last night and I used to but older now. Loved them when I was a kid.

76 WARLOCK
01-03-2016, 05:25 PM
They are illegal here, but thousands of people drive to Cheyenne and buy a car load and set them off here. Fourth of July and New Years are very noisey.

Blackwater
01-03-2016, 06:47 PM
When I was a kid, the owner of the hardware store in town lost the end of his thumb to a cherry bomb (one of the old, really GOOD ones) with a short/fast fuse. I think he was drinking too, which is the usual thing with folks who've lost a finger or thumb with fireworks. That was typically the extent of the injuries, and they were far from common, but not terribly uncommon, either. That old adage about alcohol and gunpowder not mixing was really good advice!

Bert2368
01-11-2016, 02:25 PM
I shot a professional display for a couple who got married on NY Eve... It was about 8 degrees F. by the time the equipment was put back in the truck. Not the coldest I've ever shot in by about 20 degrees, but still not as much fun as a summer show- Cables and insulation get really stiff, and electronic firing equipment is not happy.

Fireworks over snow are almost as pretty as over water.

Cap'n Morgan
01-11-2016, 04:47 PM
http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag248/driftwood4/1174e384-c11b-4db8-97fb-b7acd7cab8e5_zpsjwpw87w1.jpg (http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/driftwood4/media/1174e384-c11b-4db8-97fb-b7acd7cab8e5_zpsjwpw87w1.jpg.html)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=683_1452072741 (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=683_1452072741)

Japan 2015 - 17 minutes of fireworks in HD. I would've loved to be there...

Lonegun1894
01-12-2016, 03:22 AM
We have a ban on them in town, but people can buy them about 100ft past the city limit sign, and then they come back and launch them.

I wouldn't mind them if people were responsible and safe with them, but have two idiot neighbors that think it's hilarious to launch mortars at the surrounding houses. Last July 4th, I had one bounce off my front door and blow up 5 ft from it. We have since had a discussion and I informed them that I will consider any fireworks crossing onto or over my property line as Arson, which is one of the legal justifications for deadly force in this State. So to have their fun, but keep it away from my property because any threat to me, my loved ones, or my property will be dealt with. They called the local PD to complain about what I had told them just because they were launching mortars at my house, and they were given citations and told they were lucky I warned them instead of just doing what I need to, and that Arson is a felony in this State, and they can be shot for it legally. I reminded them to please be safe the afternoon before, and then I sat on my front porch New Years Eve, and got a few dirty looks, but all the mortars were fired AWAY from me, so they must have gotten the point.

Col4570
01-12-2016, 04:12 AM
Fireworks are everywhere here,at one time we would just use them at New year and bonfire night (Nov 5th) where we have huge Fires and burn effigies of Guy Fawks who tried to blow up Parliament many years ago.Now they can be heard any time of the year when people celebrate birthdays etc.The strange anomaly is that I have to hold a license to purchase explosives (Black Powder) but fireworks can be purchased by anyone of working age.as a Kid in the far distant past My favourite where all Bangers and although warnings on each one would say light the touch paper and retire immediately we would hold ours until the fizzing started before throwing them (Stupid is as stupid does)anyway I got away with it some did,nt.sorry for wandering off into nostalgia.A happy new year to all.

southpaw
01-12-2016, 06:43 AM

Not so. You can get lots of good stuff that leaves the ground. Anything 3" or less. There is a permit that you have to get, but that is no trouble. You are right that if you have an out of state licence you don't need a permit to purchase them.

Here is a sight with lots of info. He gets lots of money from me each year.

http://www.fireworksbydonnora.com/

Jerry Jr.

shaune509
01-12-2016, 07:06 PM
Seems that atleast the news reports of fires and injuries from fireworks was a lot less when it was legal to have M80s, and bottle rockets then now that they are forbotin.
shaune509