PDA

View Full Version : Fireclean

vzerone
12-31-2015, 02:02 PM
Well it's out....Fireclean is just vegetable oil. So says this article:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/13/yes-its-true-fireclean-is-crisco/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2015-12-31&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

nicholst55
12-31-2015, 03:43 PM
I read the company's response, citing all the .Gov agencies that use their product. All I can say is this - the only authorized lube for the M16/M4 series of weapons in military service is either CLP or LSA. The way these companies get their supposed endorsements, are by sending free samples to an agency and then stating 'in use by XXX.'

That's not to say that some individual service member or officer isn't using FireClean (or whatever) on his/her weapon, but that doesn't make it an agency policy.

Bottom line - if it sounds like snake oil, it probably is.

Omega
12-31-2015, 04:04 PM
It goes the other way as well. While in Iraq, I used militec-1 and liked the way it kept the sand from clogging up my M-4 while still allowing me to run the weapon "dry". We had a National Stock Number (NSN) for it to order through the supply channels so we ordered enough for my guys. When it came in, we received CLP instead so we ordered again with a code "2B" which means only the ordered item should be sent, no substitutes, and still received CLP. So I sent the company a message to see if they were just out of stock and discovered that the military was just playing games and rescinded their NSN. The company sent me a case free of charge and we used it on our M4s and mini-guns my whole rotation with no issues. Apparently enough of us were using it that they (military) went so far as to make it unauthorized to use anything but CLP on military weapons...needless to say many didn't follow that rule.

Love Life
12-31-2015, 04:14 PM
Good old CLP. Stinks and does a great job of smearing carbon around.

runfiverun
12-31-2015, 05:32 PM
best description I ever heard. :lol:
I got a case or two of the stuff kicking around here.
I just let the gunk sink to the bottom and apply the oil to the rifle, then spray it out with brake cleaner.
it holds the carbon in suspension pretty well and washes away easily so it does have it's uses.

xs11jack
12-31-2015, 08:43 PM
Interesting that in the rebuttal the fireclean guy said everything about how good it is, and it maybe, but he never denied that it is canola oil.
Ole Jack

MUSTANG
12-31-2015, 08:47 PM
That "Gunk" floating around in CLP is a teflon product. There to provide an extra slick lubricant between 2 surfaces rubbing against each other.

w5pv
01-01-2016, 09:13 AM
On the sliding parts I use I use a soft leaded (#2 or #3)pencil to get graphite on the moving parts also on the sprue plates and top of the molds.

destrux
01-07-2016, 05:25 PM
The way I took this news was "finally I have been vindicated for using olive oil on my guns all these years". I consider olive oil superior to canola oil for both cooking and firearms lubrication. It's so resistant to evaporation that I have black powder guns that have been sitting uncleaned for a year in my damp basement that have NO rust on them, thanks only to the olive oil spray and wipe down that I did on them after I last shot them. The powder fouling just wipes off... doesn't stick to the metal at all.