PDA

View Full Version : Did Some Casting Today

Viper225
12-31-2015, 12:07 AM
I had some new molds to try out.
I have a new NOE 360-180 WFN-GC for a 357 Maximum Contender
A Mountain Mold 44 Magnum 310 WFN-GC for my brothers 9.5" Super RedHawk
and a Lee 2 Cavity 312-155 GC for a 300 BlackOut AR

I did my casting today almost outdoors. In a pretty much unheated room with 2 doors open and an exhaust fan pulling the air through. The 35 degree temperature kicked my tail.

I went through the break in on the molds. Soap and Water wash with a tooth brush. Pre-heated on a hot plate. Smoke the cavities with a Bic, then lubed the sprue plate after my first fill with Husky 2 cycle on a Q-Tip and then wiped off.

I did not locate my Pot Thermometer. I figured I could just wing it like I normally do. That was a mistake. I have never seen so many wrinkled bullets at one time in 40 years of casting.

My best guess is that I did not get the temperature up on the pot in the 35 degree weather. That was my first pour in cold weather. Normally I cast on a nice fall day when it is around 80 outside.

I am planning on trying again tomorrow. I will crank up the propane tomorrow. FROSTED needs to be the Magic Word.

The Lee 2 Cavity is a new style mold. I was impressed with it. The bullets would just tumble out with a slight shake most of the time.

Better Luck Tomorrow :)

Bob R

maxreloader
12-31-2015, 12:10 AM
My grill barely gets past 500-525 in the winter but pushes easily past 650+ when grass is green. I hate wrinkles but getting old is a B.

Viper225
12-31-2015, 07:43 PM
Well I did not get anything cast today. Went to town with the little lady to do some New Years Eve shopping. Then I put together a batch of Cajun Nacho's. Basically Red Beans & Rice with Cheese added. It is resting in the crock pot as I type.

I checked on a new Thermometer after a brief search in the shop. When did they get so expensive?? I think the one I have was around $12 or $15 back when I bought it.
I did a more serious search and found the old Lyman Thermometer in the shop. GOOD :) I did not feel in the mood to spend between $40 and $50 on a new one.
I do not watch ball games, so tomorrow should work out fine to cast bullets.

I did punch out some 480 Ruger Gas Check Blanks today, and then cut another pile of .665 strips from .014 Amarimax Flashing to punch out more when I get time. I have another roll of .665 from Coil & Foil, but I decided to play with the flashing for the moment. Playing with the Check Maker is addictive. If I keep playing with it, I may have a lifetime supply of 480 Ruger Gas Checks by Summer.

Have a Safe and Very Merry New Years.
We are Partying with folks we go to Church with, so we will be in good company. After drinking Red Diamond "Yellow Label" all evening I should be wired for the night. That is a brand of Tea in gallon jugs where I live. The wife has been making snacks all day. My brother made an apple cobbler. Gary has his White Mountain Ice Cream Maker out, and will be making some unknown flavor of Ice Cream sure to be a hit. He never makes a bad batch. I will probably be foundered before Mid Night.

Again Have a Safe and Very Merry New Years.

Bob R

krems
01-07-2016, 05:51 PM
I feel your pain as well. I tried casting outside at about 24 degrees one time. It didn't work out so good. Inconsistent bullets and cold as heck. Really struggled with the lead temp. One little hiccup and wrinkled bullets. At least the spru cooled quickly!...I'm an indoor casting guy now!.

GWM
01-08-2016, 08:36 AM
I was casting outside yesterday at 10*F/-12*C with no issues. The Lee dripomatic kept the temp up and the water bucket didn't get a chance to freeze over :) . Gonna have another go today as it stopped snowing.

Tenbender
01-08-2016, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=Viper225;3488253]I had some new molds to try out.

I did my casting today almost outdoors. In a pretty much unheated room with 2 doors open and an exhaust fan pulling the air through. The 35 degree temperature kicked my tail.

I went through the break in on the molds. Soap and Water wash with a tooth brush. Pre-heated on a hot plate. Smoke the cavities with a Bic, then lubed the sprue plate after my first fill with Husky 2 cycle on a Q-Tip and then wiped off.

I did not locate my Pot Thermometer. I figured I could just wing it like I normally do. That was a mistake. I have never seen so many wrinkled bullets at one time in 40 years of casting.

My best guess is that I did not get the temperature up on the pot in the 35 degree weather. That was my first pour in cold weather. Normally I cast on a nice fall day when it is around 80 outside.

I am planning on trying again tomorrow. I will crank up the propane tomorrow. FROSTED needs to be the Magic Word.

The Lee 2 Cavity is a new style mold. I was impressed with it. The bullets would just tumble out with a slight shake most of the time.

Better Luck Tomorrow

Tenbender
01-08-2016, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=Viper225;3488253]I had some new molds to try out.

Better Luck Tomorrow

Keep us posted on that mold. I'm thinking about one.