PDA

View Full Version : Brown vs America Security Safes (AMSEC)

2ndAmendmentNut
12-30-2015, 10:34 PM
I am looking for a little input on the quality and security of Brown and AMSEC safes.

After a lot of research and a personal assessment of the monetary and sentimental value I place on my collection, I have decided to invest in a true safe, not a residential security container (RSC). My research and several recommendations on the forum got me looking at Brown's "utility" line and AMSEC's "BF" line of safes.

Both have fire ratings in excess of 1hr which is really important to me.

Both have minimum tool attack ratings of 15mins which is another big deal, both to me and insurance companies.

Both also have at least 1/2" thick steel in the door and at least a 1/4" in the sides.

The Brown line seems to be $500-700 more for any given size of safe.

The Brown is also heavier, but I believe this is mainly do to the concrete style fire insulation.

A huge selling point for the AMSEC is the fact that there are several dealers on Amazon.com. Because I am an Amazon prime member the safe qualifies for free shipping. Also because I have an Amazon credit card I will qualify for 3-5% cash back.

Obviously the cheaper price makes me lean towards the AMSEC line, but I am mainly interested in the security and fire rating and if need be would prefer to invest now rather than pay later. Is the AMSEC good enough? Or is there a huge difference that makes the Brown worth the extra money?

Are there any Brown or AMSEC BF series safe owners that can offer any input or guidance?

dragon813gt
12-30-2015, 10:57 PM
None of the AMSEC safes are prime eligible. The seller is giving free shipping, which it's not. Shipping cost is built into the overall price. The delivery times are also quite long w/ the ones I looked at.

I could be wrong but I thought the BF line was still a RSC. I know some of their product lines overlap. If it has a TL rating it's good to go.

Both companies produce a great product so the decision is up to you.

2ndAmendmentNut
12-30-2015, 11:19 PM
None of the AMSEC safes are prime eligible. The seller is giving free shipping, which it's not. Shipping cost is built into the overall price. The delivery times are also quite long w/ the ones I looked at.

I could be wrong but I thought the BF line was still a RSC. I know some of their product lines overlap. If it has a TL rating it's good to go.

Both companies produce a great product so the decision is up to you.

You are correct that none of the AMSEC safes are Prime 2-day shipping, but yes the sellers offer "free" shipping.

I will also have to double check, but I am pretty sure the BF series are AMSEC's higher end line complete with TL and UL ratings.

dragon813gt
12-30-2015, 11:24 PM
The ones I looked at on Amazon say RSC right in the description. I think there are two tiers of BF safes. The BF is not one of their high end safes. And they are charging you for shipping. The prices on the safes should be lower.

Petrol & Powder
12-31-2015, 09:19 AM
I agree that shipping is a significant part of the cost. Without getting into the Brown v. AMSEC details I would say make sure your are comparing apples to apples in terms of total cost, including shipping.

2ndAmendmentNut
12-31-2015, 01:37 PM
I was confused in my original post. AMSEC BF safes are not TL rated, I was thinking of the RF series which is listed as a TL-30. Prices of the TL-15 and TL-30 rated AMSEC safes are pretty close to the prices of the TL-15 and TL-30. Both look like pretty good safes.

dragon813gt
12-31-2015, 01:46 PM
While I have neither, you can't go wrong w/ either. The RF has the TL rating so if the Brown does not have it then buy the AMSEC. Otherwise you're choosing which options you want.

2ndAmendmentNut
01-01-2016, 04:37 PM
Comparing the TL-15, and TL-30 rated safes both companies have to offer the prices are pretty much the same. I will not be ordering through Amazon regardless of which brand I go with simply because there seem to be better prices elsewhere. Brown's safes seem to be a 100lbs heavier than the equivalent AMSEC, I also really like how the Brown's keypad lock has a mechanical dial backup rather than the keyed backup AMSEC's seem to use. I also like how Brown has a much easier to use website, that has been able to answer all of my questions. Brown also only deals and sells directly to the customer. So far I have not been able to find a way to buy directly from AMSEC. If anyone has a link to a direct way to order safes from AMSEC I would appreciate it.

winelover
01-02-2016, 09:02 AM
I chose Brown Safe's Vault door for my new house build, over three years ago. Completely satisfied with their product and customer support. Wouldn't hesitate to buy their products, again. Especially enamored to the back up electronic lock, in addition to the manual. One of the few "safe" companies that actually make real safes.

http://www.brownsafe.com/

Winelover