PDA

View Full Version : Starting to feel old

Blanket
12-29-2015, 10:55 PM
Been Iced/snowed in the past couple days. Started working up brass for the AR15's. Noticed the brass is stuff I have had stashed for years, head stamped WCC69. Hit home when the 7 1/2 Remington primers were marked $6.90 per thousand. Really felt it when I opened up an 8lb cardboard box of 335 that I bought from a gunclub purchase at $4 a lb. Wont tell what the 55gr Hornady's are marked. Russ

454PB
12-29-2015, 11:05 PM
Any of us over 60 have that kind of stuff around......wear it as a badge of honor!

MaryB
12-29-2015, 11:32 PM
Like the box of 22lr I found in the bottom of my range bag that I am replacing... box of 50 Remington 22lr 99cents...

runfiverun
12-30-2015, 12:56 AM
I found shooting tokens and tickets to two gun clubs that have been closed for over 15 years now.
I'm guessing I won't be using those.

geargnasher
12-30-2015, 01:07 AM
Finding that I've outlived half the people on my CB friends list is a little sobering.

Gear

bubba.50
12-30-2015, 01:11 AM
ah, you're not "feelin' old", you ARE old :kidding:.

shoot-n-lead
12-30-2015, 02:07 AM
I have been trying to rearrange my reloading area lately...unearthed some components that I bought to feed my first AR...back in 1983.

Man, like you...I was "feeling" old (along with really being old) when I found that stuff and realized that it had been almost 33yrs since I bought it.

facetious
12-30-2015, 05:32 AM
Can you remember when you called your knees right and left, now you call them good and bad.

Crash_Corrigan
12-30-2015, 06:28 AM
I still have a half dozen boxes of .22 lr's that are unopened. Each box has a sticker on it with the price......$0.59.

TenTea
12-30-2015, 07:38 AM
Adjusted for inflation, this is par.

My physical age is inflating too, but I'm rich in spirit and young at heart!

KAF
12-30-2015, 08:23 AM
Knees are called "bad" and "worse"

tim338
12-30-2015, 09:12 AM
I feel old too. In my mind I am 25 but look in the mirror and all the gray hair. My body hurts from all the hard physical labor in my knees and shoulders. I am 46 but feel every year of it.

bedbugbilly
12-30-2015, 09:28 AM
I still have a 1# can of FFG DuPont BP with the price marked on it that I paid back in the early 60s . . . it's marked in black "grease pencil" . . . a whole whopping 75 cents. Still have a couple of tins of #12 Remington caps that I paid 25 cents/100 for them at the same time. Just can't bring myself to use either . .. . . guess that's another sign of getting old . . . trying to "hold on to the past"! LOL I also have several boxes of 22 shorts from when I was a kid . . . we could buy a box of 500 - 10 boxes of 50 for $5.00 at the local hardware. Took a lot of squirrels with them back then. I still can't bring my self to use those two boxes of 50 up!

Ole Joe Clarke
12-30-2015, 10:13 AM
I still have a few .357 cast reloads dated in the mid 80, and a few .243's from the same time period. They are getting old, I'm already there. :-)

Blanket
12-30-2015, 10:16 AM
when I started loading my dad gave me a keg of Red Dot in the pink can, Alcan wads, shot and a bunch of Cascade (CCI) 209B shot shell caps. He had bushel baskets full of paper shells. I would work all evening to load shells to shoot the next day. The shot shell caps were just the primer so I had to knock the spent cap and anvil out of the battery cup, put the anvil back in and press in a new cap. Still have a couple of boxes of them. If I knew how to post a picture of them, think folks would get a kick out of it

Lance Boyle
12-30-2015, 10:28 AM
I'm getting there.

In my last move. I found a box of brass in 10mm auto. Funny I never owned own. Then the light went on. Back in the 80's I bought a ruger mark 2 and would shoot it in the reserve center basement range. One day I came in as the local FBI guys were leaving. They were just transitioning to the 10mm then. I picked up their brass and saved it, at the time I was thinking of getting a colt delta elite pistol.

I gave the box to a shooting pal who had always been very generous to me. His hobby was gunshows and he setup tables or shared with another gun shop dealer friend. He had a delta elite pistol and was tickled to get the brass.

Odd that I held on to that brass for 30 years or so and ended up giving it to a friend who had the somewhat rare and very pistol I wanted way back when. Must have been a reason. I'd also gotten rid of a few other packratted items. I sometimes think I still have some of those items and go to look for them to use and remember I gave them away. (extra 6 gallon boat tanks)

opos
12-30-2015, 11:34 AM
You are all making me think back...I'm 78 and worked in a gun/boat store in the mid 50's while going to college in a small Northern Colorado town...I used to shoot my .30 Luger in the basement of the police building (long concrete hallway that was a perfect echo chamber) with either cotton balls or filters from Kent cigarettes for ear plugs...I have a solid 60% hearing loss today...still got my 62A winchester I got new from Gart Brothers Sporting Goods in Denver in 1947 and it still looks and shoots great.

Today it's COPD, asthma, one replaced knee, one bad retina, arthritis and 1/2 my diaphragm not working so only one lung doing all the work...but you know what....We got a terrific family (3 kids, 4 grandkids and 2 great grand kids...my kids families are solid as a rock...no druggies, no boozers (Grandad had a spell with that but it ended in 1981)..nobody sick...nobody on the government dole...everyone just doing the right things.

I spend a lot of time on Google Earth looking at places I've lived and visited over a long life....I can't travel because of my lungs but I can "go there" for free and have memories..really enjoy it.

Still do some loading and target shooting and really enjoy it...certainly not the shot I was some years ago but I got nothing to prove to anyone...just fun and got real ear muffs now..Wish I still had the .30 Luger.

xs11jack
12-30-2015, 10:31 PM
You know you're really old when you wake up in the morning and even your (if you got any) hair hurts!
Ole Jack

Powder Burn
12-30-2015, 10:43 PM
The first thing to go is your memory, after that I forget. Casted a few jig heads for next years crappie. Seems I have to relearn how to do everything from scratch.

Blanket
12-31-2015, 12:27 AM
You know you're really old when you wake up in the morning and even your (if you got any) hair hurts!
Ole Jack Yes everything hurts in the morning and you hope you wake up.

retread
12-31-2015, 01:41 AM
Your old when you realize the first pump 22 rifle you got was 59 years ago. Not to mention the single shot you got to use five years previous to that. The good news is that I am still going goose hunting this weekend!

Rufus Krile
12-31-2015, 01:52 AM
Yes everything hurts in the morning and you hope you wake up.
"If I'm alive, why do I hurt so much and if I'm dead, why do I have to pee?"

Mumblypeg
12-31-2015, 03:35 AM
I did good till I hit 60 ( two years ago) . Seems everything has gotten worse since then. Only one of everything that I have two of works. I'm glad however that everything that I only have one of still works. :-) I see people wanting to run 10K races.... I just want to walk again without pain.... but at the end of the day I realize that there are many younger than me that did not make it this far. I guess the worse thing about getting old is being able to remember when you were young. I think I am still young... my body tells me otherwise.

rondog
12-31-2015, 07:59 AM
Good to know I'm not the only one.

Hickok
12-31-2015, 08:58 AM
Any of us over 60 have that kind of stuff around......wear it as a badge of honor!Ain't it the truth! I am still using an old Herters reloading scale to weigh my powder charges. Never could up grade to a new scale. It is still spot on dead accurate. My dad bought it in the late 60's, and it still doing it's job today.

Some of you will know what I am talking about when I say, "Sometimes I hurt worse all over, more than I do any where else!":bigsmyl2:

white eagle
12-31-2015, 09:23 AM
When I was going to college my father was sharing a apartment with me
it was on the second floor,he hated those stairs and I would fly by him and wait
for him to get in the door.I know how he felt at this point in my life.I worked at manual
labor most of my life made great pay however now when I do anything I used to do
it takes days to recover [smilie=w:
Some of you will know what I am talking about when I say, "Sometimes I hurt worse all over, more than I do any where else!":bigsmyl2:
I get it :shock:

Wis. Tom
12-31-2015, 12:01 PM
Yes I can relate. Just going through my stash yesterday and came across an unopened box of Western Super X 218 Bee 46 grain open point exp... marked $6.80.

dagger dog
12-31-2015, 12:16 PM
Any day that I don't wake up dead, is a good day !

Old copies of American Rifleman that warn of the coming of the Gun Control Act of 1968, ads that offer Colt 1917's shipped to your door for less than a 50 dollar bill.

Yes I "feel old" in every part of my body, but not my soul.

RayinNH
12-31-2015, 12:32 PM
And what doesn't hurt, doesn't work.

Blackwater
12-31-2015, 02:55 PM
Good, accurate comments all. When you start to get old, if you don't have a good dose of toughness about you, and don't have a sense of humor about it all, you really need to develop those traits, and pronto! It's ironic that the shorter my time here gets, the less I fear the end one day. As has already been stated, good family really makes a man feel at peace with what he'd done in this life. And not being able to get out like we once did may not be entirely a bad thing. I'll say and do things now that I would have been hesitant to do in my early life. And, there seems to be more need to interject one's self into our surroundings these days, too. We just have to be rational about how we go about it now. When 9/11 happened, I found myself desperately WANTING to go set things aright. Not being able was one of the most humbling things I've ever faced. And disappointing. Life's a beach and then you die, say some. I just call that hogwash, given by people who don't have a clue what life's all about. Life is good. And it's challenging so we can't afford to get lay and inattentive. That's always been our saving grace, and probably always will be. The challenges of getting old aren't near as heavy, usually, as those we had in our earlier days. At least we know how to handle it. Way back when, we didn't know much at all, and had to pretty much learn by trial and error. Even much of the advice we got from others didn't always prove out.

I'm so much more satisfied now than I ever could have been in my 20's! If we follow His rules, God has made life just about like it's always really needed to be. And I appreciate that more and more every day.

Butler Ford
12-31-2015, 05:03 PM

...even my reloading components are old.

BF

runfiverun
12-31-2015, 05:24 PM
I just dumped a pound of H-4895 marked 2.75 in the hopper today.
I looked at the oldest girl and said 'don't waste it that's the last of the cheap shooting' except for a little ww-2 surplus 4831.
I would have paired them up with the last of the 49 cent primers but all I have left is some small pistol ones.

we went and done a 10 round test just a minute ago [at zero-f] and the first 2 shots she took were touching about 2-1/2" to the left.
I tried three and put them under an inch.
not bad for a 7.7 jap rifle with home made jacketed bullets made from 5.7 cases.
I hope the new [improved my eye] version of the powder does as well.

Rufus Krile
12-31-2015, 07:28 PM
Just finished putting up a new garage door opener and feel like I've been eaten by a coyote and pooped off a cliff. It would have been easier except my garage looks like Fibber McGee's closet (that should date me...) and I was disgustingly sober. May need a little hip and back medicine. We need to start a "I'm so old that..." thread... I'm so old that I can remember when the Kennedy's drowned their women one at a time....

Harter66
12-31-2015, 07:57 PM
I was going through some things to pack up for a future move . Just heirloom stuff . Seems my great Aunt was invited to the Presidents Occupational Health Summit (wrong word but correct meaning) in May 1960. Included was a copy of her note declining to attend.
I found a box FA 58 38 special in my junk to go with 2 cartons Herter's H209s only circa 1970 to go with 8# of A 12# keg of 1968 lotted Red Dot. Somewhere in the stuff is a receipt for the powder . I think it was about $36.

Ole Joe Clarke
12-31-2015, 08:52 PM
If I had known I was gonna live this long, I would have taken better care of my self.

MaryB
12-31-2015, 11:07 PM
Hit me young, I had back arthritis at 19... by 46 most of my back was destroyed, now at 55 pain free is a dream... but I am one stubborn person! I refuse to give in! I don't do as much as I used to but I try to stay semi active.

retread
01-01-2016, 01:21 AM
At 70, yes I hurt! People say, maybe you should slow down and take it easy and not work every day. I always reply that I am worried if I do I will no longer be able to work.
I believe the saying, "If you don't use it, you will lose it". If I am not helping someone rebuild their house, building something out in the shop for the wife or others, I am out there reloading, casting, sizing or coating. Would not be happier any other way.

facetious
01-01-2016, 04:59 AM
Maybe pain is are body's way of getting even with use for all the things that we did to it.

Blanket
01-01-2016, 07:09 AM
But on the plus side I can forecast the weather changes by what hurts how bad. Have looked for 2 weeks for a bag of new 444 Marlin brass to make 410 shells out of I knew I had. Found all kinds of things I had forgot about and finally found the brass, in a place I had looked several times

white eagle
01-01-2016, 07:10 AM
If I had known I was gonna live this long, I would have taken better care of my self.
no truer words have been spoken
Hoocheemama

Harter66
01-01-2016, 11:04 AM

If I'd known I was going to be this bad off anyway I'd have played football and rode more motorcycles and skied the lakes and mountains. Instead I worked safe low impact jobs and avoided all of the knee,hip and back abuse . Here I am 50 with hips that whine in the heat ,knees that complain about the cold and a back that is just disagreeable about everything that is static for or leaning more than 5 min.

Getting to middle age is easy sneaking into early senior league is just the wash board before the bad part of the road . I can't wait for for 60 (sarc) .

mold maker
01-01-2016, 01:59 PM
d accurate. My dad bought it in the late 60's, and it still doing it's job today.

And my ALL OVER has gotten much bigger.

Hickok
01-01-2016, 05:20 PM
And my ALL OVER has gotten much bigger.[smilie=l:

Mod42
01-01-2016, 07:18 PM
I still have the first gun that I bought with mostly my own money, my Grandfather chipped in $5.00, and I paid the rest, $6.00 for a total of $11.00. I was seven or eight when I got it. Still have that shotgun and every time I look at it, I know I'm old.

The shotgun was a model 42 Winchester!!

Clay M
01-01-2016, 09:35 PM
I still have some Remington red box primers from the 60's
I am sure they will still work fine , but I keep them as a memorabilia.

I remember helping my dad use them to make loads for his Marlin 336 .44 magnum rifle.

I guess I am old my Doctor says I am still OK..
Everything still works well so I can't complain.:-)

I inherited a bad right eye from my father.
The Doc says I have cataracts starting.
This is my Achilles heal for long range shooting.
I have the skills the nerves and the training, but I have hit a wall.

My father shot left handed to compensate for his right eye.
Perhaps this is what I may have to do if I am to continue.

MaryB
01-02-2016, 01:24 AM
I got asked by a friend of a friend what I was disabled. I listed a few joints and she interrupted "if that is all that is wrong with you quit scamming" as my friend started to roll her eyes. I finished by saying that is the list of what I haven't had surgery on at least once... red face, embarrassed mutterings about needing to leave...

Col4570
01-02-2016, 03:00 AM
October 2000,I was hit with a heart attack,after hospitalisation and being prescribed a regime of Tablets.I visited the Doctor who said to me "Get On With It".I accepted his blunt advise and have never looked back,I build my own Guns and shoot them,I do my Gardening and my House maintainance etc etc.Since then I have had replacement Knees,my Gall Bladder removed.Many years before these blips I had a Large Kidney Stone removed and even earlier whilst in the Merchant Marine aged 22 I had my Appendics removed in Aden at a Royal Air force Hospital.I am now aged 79 and looking back these interuptions in life have made me appreciate being alive,the alternative is not so good.So that old professional who advised me to get on with it was spot on.Happy New year to All.

Farmer&shooter
01-02-2016, 04:21 AM
I hear you Blanket. I too have been snowed in and it has been getting down to around zero at night. I have been trying to "straighten up" my loading room. Found a one pound, yellow and red Hodgdon paper canister of 4831 (Seems to be unopened) I bought in 1967 marked $3.00. Still smells good, no dust. I am definitely out of extended warranty!

Farmer&shooter
01-02-2016, 04:30 AM
I bought a Colt that I thought was a 1917 (advertised by Hudson Sporting Goods as that in 1957). When the green Railway Express truck brought it, it was an apparently unfired, blued, mail train New Service. The "standard ones" were $19.95. I had scraped my lawn mowing money together and paid $24.95 for one that was "hand Picked". I sure lucked out. I was twelve, and my Dad wouldn't let me keep it in my room until I was fourteen. I still have it!

white eagle
01-02-2016, 07:40 AM
lately I have been up early 4-5 am ,not even hunting, pain gets me up and out of bed
sucks :shock:

Preacher Jim
01-02-2016, 07:52 AM
I have a 50 round boxes of45-70 rem-umc an ammo can of alcan primers,, 3 boxes of Canucks match 22lr and several boxes of Peters 22lr they were the cheapest when I bought my Stevens Crack shot. Wish I still had the trap door i bought the 45-70's for i shot the 20 round box. And my mind is not as old as I am

Retumbo
01-02-2016, 08:11 AM
Damn...just turned 50 and you guys sure aren't giving me much hope.

Really don't want to be pooped out by a coyote over a cliff. :bigsmyl2:

My diner lady always says;"every day on this side of the grass is a good day"

tim338
01-02-2016, 04:15 PM
I feel old too. In my mind I am 25 but look in the mirror and all the gray hair. My body hurts from all the hard physical labor in my knees and shoulders. I am 46 but feel every year of it.
I guess I should quit belly aching. Most of you fellas have quite a few years on me ( and some much more wrong) and still going strong. Ha...ha....

Cariboo
01-02-2016, 05:25 PM
ya vague memories of (if correct) like the first cobalt treatments outside of U of Michigan research were done at the Swedish Hospital in Minneapolis patient's family Dr. was Quello (probably misspelled the name). First successful open heart surgery was performed in S. Africa, first successful open heart surgery in N. America was performed in Vancouver, BC Canada.
I was about 3000 miles away from Vancouver at the time, following all of the news releases + everything that was available to large international pharmaceutical companies. I learned the name of the patient in Vancouver later as I married his little sister in 75. At times the world is small and so full of wonders.
When you compute the cost of fuel and what a journeyman's wages were and find that journeyman should be making over $125.00 /hr if his wage were to keep up with the increasing cost of fuel.
When you remember a large wage increase was 1/2 a cent an hour.
When it takes you 2-3/4 hrs to put up a single raker rafter and you hurt for a week after.
When you can ramble on forever, at least I can still remember
Enough of the past for now
may everyone have a HEALTHY, happy and prosperous new year

w5pv
01-02-2016, 05:50 PM
I t hurts to let you know it is still attached to your body.

Cariboo
01-02-2016, 06:33 PM
I t hurts to let you know it is still attached to your body.

tried that with the nailgun a few years back, the framing hammer came in handy to detach it

BrianL
01-02-2016, 06:41 PM
Found a paper bag with a box of Federal 22 lr 550 box with Walmart slip of $6.97. My wife was going through some paper work and asked me if I wanted the receipt for my Garand from the DCM, $92, shipped.

Cariboo
01-02-2016, 07:24 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/asset.php?fid=137376&uid=19552&d=1451776870
when you remember when this was new and full

woodbutcher
01-02-2016, 07:36 PM
:shock: Remember when IMR4831 Hodgens surplus came in the white paper bag with blue printing?$1.00 a pound$10.00 for a case of 10 lbs?Burned many a case of it.Those were the days,as the old song says.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

tward
01-02-2016, 08:36 PM
I'm getting old but it really hit me when I dug out my RCBS jr 2 and it had an aluminum primer catcher and was stamped 71 on the casting.Tim

MaryB
01-02-2016, 09:55 PM
Pain wakes me every 2 hours almost like an alarm clock. It is very rare I get decent sleep anymore...

lately I have been up early 4-5 am ,not even hunting, pain gets me up and out of bed
sucks :shock:

facetious
01-03-2016, 04:32 AM
Damn...just turned 50 and you guys sure aren't giving me much hope.

Really don't want to be pooped out by a coyote over a cliff !

Their so cute at that age. Still all full of hopes and dreams. Then BAM!! Your pushing 60 and wondering *** just happened.

If it bends it hurts, if you hurt it before it's going to hurt again.
Then about the time the hands and fingers start to hurt thy start gluing the bleeping lids on to the jars!
You sit in a sports car and the first thing you think is how the ____ are you supposed get back out.
Stuff that you think was fun is more work than it is worth some days.
Reading stuff about Social Security, pensions and other retirement stuff is starting to become interesting.
And with women if it isn't one end its the other. After a few years of the menopause circus you won't care about the cliff you just wish someone would give the coyote a enema all ready.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRkzm_eZJuU

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkU3kiuZVuE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TBc_YB600c

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPFCn3itBFE

Retumbo
01-03-2016, 06:29 PM
I have never been called cute before, but thank you.

I have worked 30 some odd years on my feet as a journeyman. Knees, shoulders, wrists, neck, all shot.

At least I don't need any little blue pills yet :)

Blanket
01-03-2016, 10:33 PM

I have worked 30 some odd years on my feet as a journeyman. Knees, shoulders, wrists, neck, all shot.

At least I don't need any little blue pills yet :) At least you won't roll out of bed and fall to the floor.

Clay M
01-03-2016, 10:36 PM
My challenge for the new years is to learn to shoot left handed ,after fifty years shooting right handed.
I believe I can do it,as the basics and training is still there.
I don't believe I can play guitar left handed,but shooting should be much easier.
My left eye is great, my right eye is bad,and getting worse.
My doctor says I am in great shape.
For the most part I believe he is correct.
I want to go back to college and get another degree, so I may accept that challenge. I would be 62 when I finish, but I feel like I would be able to help many people with the remainder of my life.
That is my goal, to stay productive. I try to work my mind ,and learn new things.
I want to still be making a difference in this world the day I drop dead.

Edward
01-03-2016, 10:51 PM
Just donated a H+R topper junior 20ga to a friends grandson ,parents gave it to me at the age of 10 ,his other grandson got the H+R 12ga my wife bought me when 1st married I"m 66 and my grand kids do computer games and to far away to teach them different .At least I know I made someones Xmas exciting [smilie=w:

facetious
01-04-2016, 05:17 AM

At least I don't need any little blue pills yet :)

I will be 59 this summer and you sound a lot like me. I just just finished my 37th year as a web pressman all but five as a journeyman. The neck is OK but the fingers hurt, the rest sounds the same, better add feet to the list. If it was not for the insoles I wouldn't be able to stand in the morning. It is funny how it is the little things that eat you up. My sisters husband spent most of his working life in construction. When he hit his early 60's the shoulders gave out and had to get new ones. Thy told him it was from using nail guns for years, said the kick from the gun over and over for years slowly just beat up the joints in his hands, elbows and shoulders.

If there is one thing I have learned after watching all the guys I worked with get old and retire and having helped at a assisted living where my mom was is that you have got to have fun with it. Everybody's story ends the same way but the attitude you have writing your story is the difference.

Ole Joe Clarke
01-04-2016, 10:37 AM
Sometimes I feel old, and get the mullygrubs and feel sorry for my self. Then I see someone that is really bad off sick or had something bad happen to them. Then I realize that just because I'm 72 doesn't make me old or sick, and that the Lord has really blessed me with a great family, reasonably good health and a place to stay with no house payment, and the roof don't leak. So I realize I am blessed beyond measure and I thank the Lord every day for it.

Harter66
01-04-2016, 12:35 PM
My challenge for the new years is to learn to shoot left handed ,after fifty years shooting right handed.
I believe I can do it,as the basics and training is still there.
I don't believe I can play guitar left handed,but shooting should be much easier.
My left eye is great, my right eye is bad,and getting worse.
My doctor says I am in great shape.
For the most part I believe he is correct.
I want to go back to college and get another degree, so I may accept that challenge. I would be 62 when I finish, but I feel like I would be able to help many people with the remainder of my life.
That is my goal, to stay productive. I try to work my mind ,and learn new things.
I want to still be making a difference in this world the day I drop dead.

Clay
The real challenge is in that if like me you can't wink your right eye . In my case it is the other way around . Run away BP cost me my left/dominant eye . It dropped from 18/20 to 20/40 over about 18 months ,the glasses drop the 1st 3x off the scope when I shoot lefty now . The contact let's me see around the blind spot but it's a hassle and not good for the hunting trips. So I shoot right handed now .....except when I don't have time to think about the shot ,30 yr vs 10 yr of muscle memory. If you have as much split as I do its pretty easy to switch eyes even both open .

Doggonekid
01-05-2016, 01:19 AM
Im 60 and when I wake up in the morning that is the best I'm going to feel all day. By the time I go to bed that is when I feel that everything is going to fall off. I have one bad knee and one right one left.