PDA

View Full Version : JPW Yet again - - - - - -

tomf52
04-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Just wanted to share a little more info with everyone as to my experiences with the JPW. I haven't done anything remarkably different, just a little change in the tecnique. I use a single burner electric hotplate with a 6" square of 1/4" aluminum between the burner grid and the bottom of the tin can which is about the size of a coffee mug, tomato paste can or something to that effect. The first thing I have been doing is melting a piece if candle wax the size of a marble or so. When that is melted I add a dollup of the Johnson"s and get them into a liquid and stir. I then add the bullets which are at room temperature or just slightly higher and swirl them around as you do with Lee Liquid Alox. This swirling is done with the can off the burner and watching closely for the very first sign of the wax starting to congeal. The bullets are then immediately dumped onto a piece of wax paper to harden and dry. At first look they appear very funky with a somewhat heavy irregular coat of the wax on them. Let them sit for a couple of days and they attain the appearance of commerciallly lubed bullets. The candle wax is added to eliminate the flaking off of the JPW when it hardens as I had experienced without the candle wax. This procedure sounds much more involved than it is. I have gotten absolutely no leading in my 1894C Marlin MicroGroove with some very hot loads doing it this way. Hope this helps somebody.

randyrat
04-19-2008, 10:46 PM
I heat the bullets up a little then add JPW + a little Beeswax do the shake and flip let them get room temp and load with no problems. i've never had them peel/flake with this technique. I'm not sure how i learned this could be trial and error.