with all the dinners and relatives from all over the country
of course all kinds of conversations over the dinner table
one comment I heard while at one of these dinners was that of
the recent and past mass shootings.Naturally gun control came up
and one comment that really stuck with me was that the second amendment
was dated and not applicable to this day and age. :oops: These people who
stated this were for the most part non hunters that live in a more
metro area and have no clue on guns or hunting.Our Bill of Rights is
neither dated and is more relevant now than ever.I had heard this comment before
by others somewhere but it really hit home when I heard it come out of
the mouths of family and friends.I had to remind them that freedom of speech
was also included in this dated document ....:evil:

MrWolf
12-28-2015, 11:50 PM
Also remind them that cell phones, electronic media, etc. were all not mentioned. Pretty hard to get them to see reason.

runfiverun
12-29-2015, 09:08 AM
I usually find bringing up the 8th amendment and how it protects them from police brutality usually shuts them up.
if nothing else it plants a seed in their minds that they might actually want to read the constitution and see what rights they do have versus other country's.
spouting off the 1st or second amendment everybody knows of or thinks they know, when you put out stuff like number 4 or 8 they got nuthin.

Thumbcocker
12-29-2015, 10:15 AM
The Bill of Rights is a tossed salad not a buffet. You take it all you don't get to pick out the parts you like best and ignore the rest.

Area Man
12-29-2015, 10:47 AM
I know I'm preaching to the choir but the idea of self defense and resistance of tyranny will never be outdated. Heck if you're going to use that BS argument you should use it against the first amendment as well. Our founding fathers never could have envisioned the internet and way it allows people to proliferate speech.

Blackwater
12-29-2015, 01:49 PM
This is the consequence of the libs taking over our Fed. Dept. of Education, and most of the State offices as well. We don't teach history any more, and DO teach the attitude that "everything's different now." When it's really not. Mankind hasn't changed one whit since the BC days. But the New Milllenium types surely THINK they're not only "different" but BETTER as well, and all just because folks who've worked their butts off to get them there have sacrificed, fought and labored to get them there. They never think about that because they haven't been TAUGHT to. They don't know history, or realize why it's important, so they just go their merry way thinking what they WANT to think, no matter how wrong it might be. And as Sonny and Cher sang, "The Beat Goes On."

First, they got into our Universities, and now, they're "training" our youth to think like they do, if you can call it really "thinking." And we're now paying the price for that, and our neglect in letting it happen.

2ndAmendmentNut
12-29-2015, 01:56 PM
Whenever someone starts the whole "outdated" argument I hit back with, "then amend the constitution, it's been done 17 times already to address the changing times and add clarity!"

If the 2nd Amendment really is dated, and private gun ownership needs to stop than AMEND the constitution. Don't pass unconstitutional and unenforceable laws, without first amending the constitution.

Blackwater
12-29-2015, 02:00 PM
I dunno 2AN. I suspect there's coming a time when that might actually be possible. i sure don't see much standing in the way of it in time.

shooter93
12-29-2015, 07:53 PM
Well...for me I do point out the obvious.....or what should be obvious......but as for amending the Constitution I always point out that although the Constitution has been amended the Bill of Rights can not be amended or done away with. They are sacrosanct....period. No power on Earth gave you those rights. Not the government nor the people themselves who have those rights. The founders did not give them to us. The Constitution AFFIRMS rights given to us by our creator. No power on Earth can change that. Not the government nor the people themselves. If the time ever comes......or maybe I should say when the time comes.....that this truly happens then that will be the time to use those Rights as they were intended to be used.

MaryB
12-29-2015, 11:44 PM
That time is close, very very close... I would rather fight now so my nieces and nephews kids don't have to. Because by the time they are old enough to own guns this country may be gone!

wv109323
12-30-2015, 01:40 AM
The bill of rights is rights. If a right is a right then it can not be amended or changed or abolished. A right is permanent with time. That is why our forefathers called it the bill of rights.
Our forefathers just came through the Revolutionary War. They realized the importance of the citizens to be armed to fight in case the government became oppressive( as the ritish government had become). At the time there was no US Army or a federal defense to protect the United States of America. A militia was a group of citizens that formed a defense/army with their private firearms. They were to protect the newly formed government or in case of oppression take it down. The power of an armed resistance was to be in the hands of the citizens and not within the federal government. Thus the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.