PDA

View Full Version : ?'s/answers- blood in urine

gunoil
12-28-2015, 04:13 PM
Dad is 89, blood in urine and waiting in emergency room for a room. Has anyone ever had these symptoms. Could be kidney stones and other stuff too. Any more ideas?

jmort
12-28-2015, 04:20 PM
Is it dark or red/fresh? Most often nothing serious. Will pray for him , you, and your family.

Lloyd Smale
12-28-2015, 04:22 PM
bladder or simple unitary tract infection will do it.

Ithaca Gunner
12-28-2015, 04:42 PM
Any clots? I had blood and clots in my urine, turned out to be bladder cancer. That was last April, I'm cancer free now after two minor operations and chemo. I've added the Dr. and staff to my Christmas card list.

Moonie
12-28-2015, 04:50 PM
Chances are it is a UTI, it is very common in the elderly. Wifes grandfather (91 and still an active Baptist Preacher) has been going through UTI after UTI. Thankfully one of his sons is a Doctor and he is staying with him now.

sparky45
12-28-2015, 04:53 PM
Any clots? I had blood and clots in my urine, turned out to be bladder cancer. That was last April, I'm cancer free now after two minor operations and chemo. I've added the Dr. and staff to my Christmas card list.

This is very common symptom of Bladder Cancer, sorry to say.

Rufus Krile
12-28-2015, 05:33 PM
Aside from the above listed horror stories... it could be any of them... I have had traces of blood in my urine for 20years. Once I started BP meds and aspirin regimen it has been present. Did the battery of tests, X-rays, ALL sorts of indignities and my GP finally came to the conclusion that sometimes it just IS. UTI's are very common in the elderly and are easily treated. Hope that's what you are dealing with.

farmerjim
12-28-2015, 06:09 PM
Had it twice. Once was a prostate infection the other was a kidney stone.

gunoil
12-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Thanks, still setting here 7 1/2 hours in lobby waiting on room. They took blood & urine sample. Maybe 1 more hour a room. I can remember when this was a hell-of-a-hospital. 5:18 EST.

Beagle333
12-28-2015, 06:23 PM
There's lotsa reasons. Just wait for results. Many many things can cause that.

Lonzo
12-28-2015, 06:55 PM
Had some of that about 3 yrs ago, turned out to be a bruised kidney from a bad fall. Took 3 wks to straighten me up with help of my urologist. Best of luck to you and your dad. Lonzo

osteodoc08
12-28-2015, 06:56 PM
Painless hematuria? Time to see a urologist. Best ER can do is an antibiotic. If a smoker will need a CT Urogram and cystoscopy and urine flow cytometry at a minimum. Prayers sent.

jonp
12-28-2015, 07:35 PM
Thanks, still setting here 7 1/2 hours in lobby waiting on room. They took blood & urine sample. Maybe 1 more hour a room. I can remember when this was a hell-of-a-hospital. 5:18 EST.

Sorry to hear that. I had the same experience at the local one. Twisted my ankle at work so drove down to their Emergency room as I couldn't walk. Sat for several hours watching the illegals and welfare cases using it like a family doctor before getting someone to take notice. She wheeled me in to the examination room and asked me why I needed a wheelchair and didn't take my boot off. "Well, I asked for friggen crutches but you didn't have any and my foot is so swollen I can't get the **** boot off. Pulled ligaments, etc and was out for a few months. 2 yrs later still not right and will never be I guess.

There are many reasons for blood in the urine from what I've read. Thoughts and prayers

gunoil
12-28-2015, 08:27 PM
computerized axial tomography SCAN as of now. Dr. appell is gone so she contacts oncall doc. We will think of our bladder/kidneys,etc.. Tech is growing too!
----------------------

I should change my diet, greens, cod fish, wine, less desserts. Jack Daniels.

mozeppa
12-28-2015, 09:47 PM
i went through that for a year...convinced i was dying.

doc said i had a nasty UTI.

14 horse pills over 7 days knocked it out.

bonza
12-28-2015, 10:00 PM
Hope all turns out well for your Dad. I have a history of similar symptoms, mostly due to restricted urethra & urinary tract & kidney infections. Had a bad spell of UTIs early last summer & my wife got me started on Cranberry Pills & haven't had a recurrence since (touch wood!).

MaryB
12-28-2015, 10:02 PM
Had a bad bladder infection do that, that triggered a bout of kidney stones a year later...

DLCTEX
12-28-2015, 10:16 PM
If I take Ibuprophen I will have blood in urine in two days. I had this problem frequently for many years and spent thousands of dollars, endured countless tests, before figuring out for myself what the cause was. I haven't had the problem in over ten years now.

Blackwater
12-28-2015, 10:38 PM
Beagle is right. Could be any of a nuber of things, and best to wait and see what the tests show. No sense worrying if there's no need to.

BrassMagnet
12-29-2015, 12:12 AM
UTI, been there and done that. Never suspected until I ended up In the ER. A few horse pills fixed it.

Aspirin. My Uncle had that and later bladder cancer. He beat that. Aspirin thins the blood a lot! Just a normal aspirin pill a day can cause that. For reduction in heart attack risk just us a child's aspirin.

leadman
12-29-2015, 04:35 AM
I had a kidney stone cause that, had to be blasted out of the tube, all was good for awhile. Then a few weeks later the spot where the stone was caught started the blood in urine again. Took a bit to clear.

Hope your father comes out good.

Ballistics in Scotland
12-29-2015, 06:35 AM
Sorry to hear that. I had the same experience at the local one. Twisted my ankle at work so drove down to their Emergency room as I couldn't walk. Sat for several hours watching the illegals and welfare cases using it like a family doctor before getting someone to take notice. She wheeled me in to the examination room and asked me why I needed a wheelchair and didn't take my boot off. "Well, I asked for friggen crutches but you didn't have any and my foot is so swollen I can't get the **** boot off. Pulled ligaments, etc and was out for a few months. 2 yrs later still not right and will never be I guess.

Well at least perhaps your leg will be. I bet you do your best for people who approach you in a courteous and generous manner.

You are right, though, that blood in the urine can be caused by numerous things, not all of them dangerous. It is lucky that the OP's father is awaiting attention, for asking about it online is about as helpful as asking why your car is misfiring. Neither undue reassurance nor undue alarm are beneficial. He is at least in the right place.

jonp
12-29-2015, 08:35 AM
Had a bad bladder infection do that, that triggered a bout of kidney stones a year later...

I forgot to post after my long winded e-room story that I fixed my girlfreinds sewer line once and got a facefull of raw stuff. Got the infection and it really sucked. Slight amount of blood but pain. Horsepills cured it right up.

jonp
12-29-2015, 08:38 AM
"Well at least perhaps your leg will be. I bet you do your best for people who approach you in a courteous and generous manner."

She wasn't nice at all. In fact, she was pretty darn rude bordering on nasty. The doctor and actual nurse that looked at it were pretty darn nice and cracked a bunch of jokes while fixing me up. First time getting an MRI, too. Couldn't walk for a couple of weeks and had to move my bed downstairs and sleep on the floor.

MaryB
12-29-2015, 11:54 PM
When I went to the ER after dropping a freshly sharpened 10 inch chefs knife on my knuckle the ER staff were polite and amazed that I walked in after driving myself... paper towels and duct take kept the bleeding to a minimum! I could see the knuckle move in the socket...