PDA

View Full Version : Auction

abunaitoo
12-26-2015, 11:53 PM
Is it OK to post an auction in the Swapping and selling????
Don't want to break any rules.
I have some things I have no idea what the value is.
I'd like members here to get them, instead of ebay users.

warpspeed
12-26-2015, 11:57 PM
I don't think so unless it is a benefit auction - but I could be wrong. ( probably am )

MaryB
12-27-2015, 12:11 AM
I am a new mod so do not take this as gospel(still learning...) it is not specifically prohibited but it might be easier to start a thread and get some opinions on the value. Gunbroker is also good for getting an idea of prices... Many here are more than willing to help you find what the obscure stuff is worth! We have some very experienced people who have a deep knowledge of gun related things!

I will let a more experienced mod say yes or no for sure!

waksupi
12-27-2015, 12:12 AM
Read the heading down there. Ha, of course I don't see it there now, but perfectly acceptable. Like you, I have items I don't know the value of, so letting the bidders set the price only makes sense.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-27-2015, 12:39 PM
"Moderator Badge ON"
Auction style selling is allowed in S&S.
It "was" clearly stated in the rules, but has been edited out for simplification.

================================
"Moderator Badge OFF"
My personal "advice" on posting an auction in S&S.

Have the word "Auction" in the Title, along with whatever description you want.
Be sure to include an end date and time (with time zone).
Set a starting bid and be clear on shipping fees, whether they are included in the bid or extra and how much.
Be sure to be online frequently during the first day you post it, there may be some questions.
3 days is long enough IMHO, anything longer is like watching paint dry.
You are allowed to put up to 5 items in one thread, but generally most people just post one item in auction format per post, I suppose for fear of confusion on the case of the bidders, as the thread could get messy.

Lastly, While I like auctions, many members here have voiced their opinion of disliking them, so for fear of 'upsetting the apple cart' my opinion is to limit yourself to auctioning items that are rare and difficult to find a current market price (like a H&G mold). For common items, like current production Lyman 2 cavity molds and such, I'd recommend skipping the auction format and just set a fair price.

Also, Good clear photos are your best salesmen for any type of S&S post.
That's my 2¢
Good Luck,
Jon

rancher1913
12-27-2015, 12:57 PM
congrats maryb or would condolences be more in order[smilie=s:

fryboy
12-27-2015, 01:09 PM
rancher1913 just touched what i was thinking !

as for the OP ...following JonB's advice should meet with some success ( depending upon said listed items and if any one has the desire for said item as well as cash left over after the holidays :P )

abunaitoo
12-27-2015, 02:49 PM
Thank you.
I've never did an auction here.
I haven't seen one for a while.
I just thought I'd ask first, so as not to upset the apple cart.

MaryB
12-27-2015, 10:17 PM
Now you have us all curious what you have... come on, give! lol!

abunaitoo
12-28-2015, 09:29 PM
I'm going to wait until after New Years.
Just to many things going on right now.

Bad Water Bill
12-29-2015, 01:00 AM
And a "HAPPY NEW YEAR" to our new MOD ER A TOR.[smilie=s:

Congratulations

LuckyDog
12-29-2015, 02:59 PM
If you are not going to auction it, just offer it to Brass Magnet before posting it. :violin:

I get depressed when I see all the stuff he got first "I'll take it" on that I was also interested in. [smilie=b::kidding: This way if he doesn't want it, I'll feel like I at least had a chance. :)

Oh, and I like auctions too. I think JonB gave the best advice though.

//Lucky